Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Canadian Christmas/Wendy

Posted by Nancy N on 12/25/02 at 09:33 (103971)

Wendy--

The radio is playing Bob and Doug McKenzie's Twelve Days of Christmas, which I have not heard in AGES. Anyway, I had to laugh when one of them mentioned having his 'thinking toque' on--and now the '5 golden toques.' I can't tell you how glad I am that you explained the whole toque thing to us--for years I puzzled over what the heck they were singing about--that, and the back bacon, which I'd never heard of either!

I hope you're having a lovely holiday up to the north. :)

Re: Nancy...

Suzanne D on 12/25/02 at 12:08 (103975)

How are you, Nancy? I hope you are feeling cheery and happy today. Do you have lots of snow? We have a dusting here in my part of KY. It makes it look more like Christmas.

Have a happy day!
Suzanne :-)

Nancy N on 12/25/02 at 12:35 (103977)

Hi, Suzanne. I'm feeling much better than I was when I posted on Saturday--two friends (who are destined for sainthood, I feel sure) helped drag me up from the pit. I also felt better once I started drinking more water--the dizziness stopped. I really hate the aftermath of an adrenaline high.

I don't live too far from Anthony P, apparently, and as he posted, we got some snow last night, just enough to start covering things, and it turned to freezing rain overnight. It's just been plain old rain here for the past few hours, so I'm hoping that the ice is all gone and I won't have any trouble getting to a friend's for Christmas dinner--which is where I'm heading now.

Enjoy your day! :)

Necee on 12/26/02 at 02:26 (104014)

Glad to hear that you got out today Nancy.
Let us know how the day went.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

Necee

Re: Canadian Christmas/Wendy

wendyn on 12/26/02 at 12:03 (104031)

I am glad that the whole touque (sp?) thing was resolved for you Nancy...there was someone here who thought it referred to 'tokes'!!!

We did have a lovely holiday. Had half of hubby's family here for dinner - which meant 28 people. 2 turkeys, 25 lbs of potatoes...mass chaos,but a lot of fun.

Rick R on 12/26/02 at 12:29 (104033)

Hey Wendy,

Long time no 'see' . Yup it's me the one that pops in every now and then. So how's your Boxing day going? Believe it or not I managed to get a bout of the dreaded PF again, sort of rekindled my interest in checking out the old stomping grounds. I'll never learn. I have been working 70 - 80 something hour weeks since August so it's been keeping me away from all sorts of things. So how the heck are you?

Rick

Re: Rick

wendyn on 12/26/02 at 14:50 (104039)

How are things in Chicago Rick? I was thinking about you the other day...

I'm fine, laying around in my jamies because I'm worn out from yesterday. I avoid the Boxing Day sales - but my 19 year old and 9 year old headed for the mall at 9:30 this morning. The 17 year old just left to shop.

(Kids).

What did you do to aggravate your feet?

How's your daughter (wasn't she the Cameron Diaz on steroids? Or something like that?)

Nancy N on 12/26/02 at 16:51 (104051)

It went pretty well. Remember how I said we were just getting rain? Just as I was leaving for dinner, it has begun to sleet--and was incredibly windy. I got some sleet right in the eye on my way out, which was loads of fun. I sort of wondered if I'd regret leaving home, for fear of the roads icing up, but I went anyway. A little while after I got there (they're about ten minutes from me), it changed to snow, and we got something like 3-4 inches before I left. My best friend came back with me and crashed here overnight, and we fell asleep watching TV, got up after 11 this morning, made ourselves a huge breakfast, watched some more TV, and then I went to claim my car at her sister's (we decided it was easier just to bring one car back last night in the snow, so I left my car on her sister's lawn).

All in all, it was fun. I also had the privilege of saving the gravy from clear/thin disaster thanks to the times I've seen my grandmother make the gravy at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I decided that must've been my divine purpose in staying here for Christmas--so I could go save the gravy. They've now dubbed me the Gravy Angel. Grandma is proud. :)

Rick R on 12/26/02 at 17:12 (104055)

Geez you have a great memory. No way would my kids manage to get out of the house by 9:30 on a day off. Last time we talked your son was getting his drivers licence and I was trying to scare the hell out of you with horror stories. He must be the 17 year old. I'm at work on what should be a vacation day. The middle one (19) is the girl that does fit that description. She just finished her first semester of college. Other than the roomate from hell she's having a great time. Then there's the oldest (22)who just finished college and moved back home.

As for the feet, I hurt them with stupidity. I had to stop running due to work mostly. I also thought I'd see if my back did any better, it didn't. I traveled a lot March through August while acquiring another company for my employer, and since August I have been integrating their screwed up business into the Chicago plant. I finally got to the point where I could cut back to 12 hour days so I decided to start running. The stinking back went out just before my planned triumphant return, so I ran anyway. I couldn't sit down for a few days so I worked standing for 12 hours. I wasn't bright enough to wear running shoes at work. So all this and I'm going to try running. Not real smart. I got my first morning pain since surgery back in 96. I seem to be over that so now I'm gradually increasing the stretching prior to the next attempt.

So now the plan is to go back to what I did to return to running after surgery. I'll start a heck of a lot easier, and ice, the whole 9 yards. Like I have advised others, surgery at best can restore you close to what you were before PF. But that pre-PF person had a vulnerability to begin with. Oh well we'll see what happens.

So how have you been doing? How is everything in Calgary these days? Got any travel plans?

Rick

wendyn on 12/26/02 at 19:53 (104070)

Rick - the description of your daughter was so funny, it just stuck with me. The 17 year old has been okay with the car since the four-wheelin in the mud stunt. He slept till lunch today. The other two are better able to deal with life before noon (especially if it means bargain hunting).

Sorry about your feet, but I'm sure that with your experience you shouldn't have any trouble getting it under control soon.

Where were you travelling for work? Did you have to go far?

We are toying with the idea of a U.S. trip this summer. I was supposed to go to Chicago for a wedding last August, but it didn't work out. Not sure if we would do the Indy/Chicago trip - or go to Boston. All of them involve flying...too bad I can't ride my bike there!!!

Re: Re:Wendy

Rick R on 12/27/02 at 10:56 (104104)

Wendy,

My home away from home has been Cary North Carolina in the Raliegh Durham area. I will probably have to get down there in January, but at least it's not every other week any more. My plan is to load up a rental truck with the junk we want, that didn't fit in the 3 semi loads, and drive the sucker up here myself. If I can get my wife to go with me, all the better. I/we could use the down time and relative peace of hitting the road.

Still a bit reluctant to fly are we? It's been fun adapting to all the changes in the alleged security system. They do seem to check the blue haired old ladies more than some of the rest of us. Thank goodness, they allways scare me.

Somehow I missed that you rode a bike, are we talking Harley or Huffy? Just keep in mind if you make it to Chicago again we should at least try for a phone call.

Peace,
Rick

wendyn on 12/27/02 at 21:53 (104146)

Rick - I'll fly when I have to, but I've never liked it (probably never will)

I ride a bike for exercise, since it's one of the few things I can do that doesn't seem to cause me a significant amount of pain.

If we get down there this summer, I would anticipate that the visit won't be nearly as rushed as last time....we'll definitely have to have a beer, or a coffee, or a soy milk (whatever)!

I don't think I have your email address any more - could you drop me a note when you have a minute?

Rick R on 12/28/02 at 09:03 (104158)

I think I have your email so I'll give it a try.

Rick

Re: Re:Didn't work

Rick R on 12/28/02 at 09:42 (104162)

I guess I was out of date as well.

Rick

Rick R on 12/28/02 at 17:10 (104182)

Wendy,

Oh well I guess I'm just road kill on the information highway.
(email removed)
Peace,

Rick

nancy s. on 12/29/02 at 00:46 (104189)

rick, in the future when you want to give your email address to somebody, you can type it like this: rreiner @ aol.com (putting spaces in).

someone on here taught me this. this way some advertiser scanning a site for addresses won't pick yours up.

too late for you this time, eh? better luck next time!

nancy

Nancy N on 12/29/02 at 08:41 (104201)

Nancy/Rick--

I'm the one who posted about spam a while ago. Nancy's absolutely right that you should not post your email address in the (email removed) format--spammers have software that scans for precisely that type of text and adds it to their mailing list. Not something you want.

Since my spam post was on the long side, I'm posting a link to it here in case you're interested: bbt.cgi?n=95743

pala on 12/29/02 at 09:38 (104204)

your so cagey. the revolutionary cows will never be able to take over your house.

pala on 12/29/02 at 09:41 (104205)

apparently the cows can not get to you either. i , on the other hand, with endless instruction here how to find the photos still can't. no wonder the cows are grazing on my rug as i type.

Nancy N on 12/29/02 at 09:50 (104206)

OK, I will try to tell you where to look for the pictures:

Scroll to the very top of the Social board page.

It says 'Index: Social/Support Category' in the middle at the very top.

Look just below that title, and to the left, and you should see 'Pictures of some of our frequent posters' as a blue link. It's above the link to 'Post a message,' which is above the larger link that says 'Message Board Home.'

If all else fails, go to http://heelspurs.com/zz/pictures.html

Enjoy! (And now that I've had a look at that page, I'll have to find out why my old picture is there again, rather than the new one!!)

pala on 12/29/02 at 10:06 (104207)

i went from the link you gave me. i swear that option is not on my screen. thanx. it was fun.

nancy s. on 12/29/02 at 13:41 (104223)

how weird that that option (visiting the photo gallery) is not on your screen, paula. you haven't been inhaling anything strange and hippie-like, now have you?

but i think there are little demons all over this website. maybe the one that prevents you from seeing the photo gallery link is the same one that tells me i'm posting to the 'foot surgery category' every time i start a new thread on the social/support board. scott doesn't believe me, but it's true.

i don't want to be completely off-limits to the revolutionary cows, so see what you can do about that, ok? i mean, keep 'em informed. thanks.

nancy
p.s. nancy n, i will now Remember that it was you i learned the email trick from! and a great one it is.

Re: pala

nancy s. on 12/29/02 at 13:46 (104224)

paula, are you sure you're starting out on the INDEX page of the social/support board?

pala on 12/29/02 at 18:22 (104238)

your concern really mooooved the cows.

pala on 12/29/02 at 18:24 (104239)

it says index page so i guess it is the index page.:). i think it is an enigma wrapped in an anomaly. yeah. that must be it. mooo

nancy s. on 12/29/02 at 19:12 (104243)

but are you SURE it says index page?! never mind. :+}

Suzanne D on 12/25/02 at 12:08 (103975)

How are you, Nancy? I hope you are feeling cheery and happy today. Do you have lots of snow? We have a dusting here in my part of KY. It makes it look more like Christmas.

Have a happy day!
Suzanne :-)

Nancy N on 12/25/02 at 12:35 (103977)

Hi, Suzanne. I'm feeling much better than I was when I posted on Saturday--two friends (who are destined for sainthood, I feel sure) helped drag me up from the pit. I also felt better once I started drinking more water--the dizziness stopped. I really hate the aftermath of an adrenaline high.

I don't live too far from Anthony P, apparently, and as he posted, we got some snow last night, just enough to start covering things, and it turned to freezing rain overnight. It's just been plain old rain here for the past few hours, so I'm hoping that the ice is all gone and I won't have any trouble getting to a friend's for Christmas dinner--which is where I'm heading now.

Enjoy your day! :)

Necee on 12/26/02 at 02:26 (104014)

Glad to hear that you got out today Nancy.
Let us know how the day went.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

Necee

wendyn on 12/26/02 at 12:03 (104031)

I am glad that the whole touque (sp?) thing was resolved for you Nancy...there was someone here who thought it referred to 'tokes'!!!

We did have a lovely holiday. Had half of hubby's family here for dinner - which meant 28 people. 2 turkeys, 25 lbs of potatoes...mass chaos,but a lot of fun.

Rick R on 12/26/02 at 12:29 (104033)

Hey Wendy,

Long time no 'see' . Yup it's me the one that pops in every now and then. So how's your Boxing day going? Believe it or not I managed to get a bout of the dreaded PF again, sort of rekindled my interest in checking out the old stomping grounds. I'll never learn. I have been working 70 - 80 something hour weeks since August so it's been keeping me away from all sorts of things. So how the heck are you?

Rick

wendyn on 12/26/02 at 14:50 (104039)

How are things in Chicago Rick? I was thinking about you the other day...

I'm fine, laying around in my jamies because I'm worn out from yesterday. I avoid the Boxing Day sales - but my 19 year old and 9 year old headed for the mall at 9:30 this morning. The 17 year old just left to shop.

(Kids).

What did you do to aggravate your feet?

How's your daughter (wasn't she the Cameron Diaz on steroids? Or something like that?)

Nancy N on 12/26/02 at 16:51 (104051)

It went pretty well. Remember how I said we were just getting rain? Just as I was leaving for dinner, it has begun to sleet--and was incredibly windy. I got some sleet right in the eye on my way out, which was loads of fun. I sort of wondered if I'd regret leaving home, for fear of the roads icing up, but I went anyway. A little while after I got there (they're about ten minutes from me), it changed to snow, and we got something like 3-4 inches before I left. My best friend came back with me and crashed here overnight, and we fell asleep watching TV, got up after 11 this morning, made ourselves a huge breakfast, watched some more TV, and then I went to claim my car at her sister's (we decided it was easier just to bring one car back last night in the snow, so I left my car on her sister's lawn).

All in all, it was fun. I also had the privilege of saving the gravy from clear/thin disaster thanks to the times I've seen my grandmother make the gravy at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I decided that must've been my divine purpose in staying here for Christmas--so I could go save the gravy. They've now dubbed me the Gravy Angel. Grandma is proud. :)

Rick R on 12/26/02 at 17:12 (104055)

Geez you have a great memory. No way would my kids manage to get out of the house by 9:30 on a day off. Last time we talked your son was getting his drivers licence and I was trying to scare the hell out of you with horror stories. He must be the 17 year old. I'm at work on what should be a vacation day. The middle one (19) is the girl that does fit that description. She just finished her first semester of college. Other than the roomate from hell she's having a great time. Then there's the oldest (22)who just finished college and moved back home.

As for the feet, I hurt them with stupidity. I had to stop running due to work mostly. I also thought I'd see if my back did any better, it didn't. I traveled a lot March through August while acquiring another company for my employer, and since August I have been integrating their screwed up business into the Chicago plant. I finally got to the point where I could cut back to 12 hour days so I decided to start running. The stinking back went out just before my planned triumphant return, so I ran anyway. I couldn't sit down for a few days so I worked standing for 12 hours. I wasn't bright enough to wear running shoes at work. So all this and I'm going to try running. Not real smart. I got my first morning pain since surgery back in 96. I seem to be over that so now I'm gradually increasing the stretching prior to the next attempt.

So now the plan is to go back to what I did to return to running after surgery. I'll start a heck of a lot easier, and ice, the whole 9 yards. Like I have advised others, surgery at best can restore you close to what you were before PF. But that pre-PF person had a vulnerability to begin with. Oh well we'll see what happens.

So how have you been doing? How is everything in Calgary these days? Got any travel plans?

Rick

wendyn on 12/26/02 at 19:53 (104070)

Rick - the description of your daughter was so funny, it just stuck with me. The 17 year old has been okay with the car since the four-wheelin in the mud stunt. He slept till lunch today. The other two are better able to deal with life before noon (especially if it means bargain hunting).

Sorry about your feet, but I'm sure that with your experience you shouldn't have any trouble getting it under control soon.

Where were you travelling for work? Did you have to go far?

We are toying with the idea of a U.S. trip this summer. I was supposed to go to Chicago for a wedding last August, but it didn't work out. Not sure if we would do the Indy/Chicago trip - or go to Boston. All of them involve flying...too bad I can't ride my bike there!!!

Re: Re:Wendy

Rick R on 12/27/02 at 10:56 (104104)

Wendy,

My home away from home has been Cary North Carolina in the Raliegh Durham area. I will probably have to get down there in January, but at least it's not every other week any more. My plan is to load up a rental truck with the junk we want, that didn't fit in the 3 semi loads, and drive the sucker up here myself. If I can get my wife to go with me, all the better. I/we could use the down time and relative peace of hitting the road.

Still a bit reluctant to fly are we? It's been fun adapting to all the changes in the alleged security system. They do seem to check the blue haired old ladies more than some of the rest of us. Thank goodness, they allways scare me.

Somehow I missed that you rode a bike, are we talking Harley or Huffy? Just keep in mind if you make it to Chicago again we should at least try for a phone call.

Peace,
Rick

wendyn on 12/27/02 at 21:53 (104146)

Rick - I'll fly when I have to, but I've never liked it (probably never will)

I ride a bike for exercise, since it's one of the few things I can do that doesn't seem to cause me a significant amount of pain.

If we get down there this summer, I would anticipate that the visit won't be nearly as rushed as last time....we'll definitely have to have a beer, or a coffee, or a soy milk (whatever)!

I don't think I have your email address any more - could you drop me a note when you have a minute?

Rick R on 12/28/02 at 09:03 (104158)

I think I have your email so I'll give it a try.

Rick

Re: Re:Didn't work

Rick R on 12/28/02 at 09:42 (104162)

I guess I was out of date as well.

Rick

Rick R on 12/28/02 at 17:10 (104182)

Wendy,

Oh well I guess I'm just road kill on the information highway.
(email removed)
Peace,

Rick

nancy s. on 12/29/02 at 00:46 (104189)

rick, in the future when you want to give your email address to somebody, you can type it like this: rreiner @ aol.com (putting spaces in).

someone on here taught me this. this way some advertiser scanning a site for addresses won't pick yours up.

too late for you this time, eh? better luck next time!

nancy

Nancy N on 12/29/02 at 08:41 (104201)

Nancy/Rick--

I'm the one who posted about spam a while ago. Nancy's absolutely right that you should not post your email address in the (email removed) format--spammers have software that scans for precisely that type of text and adds it to their mailing list. Not something you want.

Since my spam post was on the long side, I'm posting a link to it here in case you're interested: bbt.cgi?n=95743

pala on 12/29/02 at 09:38 (104204)

your so cagey. the revolutionary cows will never be able to take over your house.

pala on 12/29/02 at 09:41 (104205)

apparently the cows can not get to you either. i , on the other hand, with endless instruction here how to find the photos still can't. no wonder the cows are grazing on my rug as i type.

Nancy N on 12/29/02 at 09:50 (104206)

OK, I will try to tell you where to look for the pictures:

Scroll to the very top of the Social board page.

It says 'Index: Social/Support Category' in the middle at the very top.

Look just below that title, and to the left, and you should see 'Pictures of some of our frequent posters' as a blue link. It's above the link to 'Post a message,' which is above the larger link that says 'Message Board Home.'

If all else fails, go to http://heelspurs.com/zz/pictures.html

Enjoy! (And now that I've had a look at that page, I'll have to find out why my old picture is there again, rather than the new one!!)

pala on 12/29/02 at 10:06 (104207)

i went from the link you gave me. i swear that option is not on my screen. thanx. it was fun.

nancy s. on 12/29/02 at 13:41 (104223)

how weird that that option (visiting the photo gallery) is not on your screen, paula. you haven't been inhaling anything strange and hippie-like, now have you?

but i think there are little demons all over this website. maybe the one that prevents you from seeing the photo gallery link is the same one that tells me i'm posting to the 'foot surgery category' every time i start a new thread on the social/support board. scott doesn't believe me, but it's true.

i don't want to be completely off-limits to the revolutionary cows, so see what you can do about that, ok? i mean, keep 'em informed. thanks.

nancy
p.s. nancy n, i will now Remember that it was you i learned the email trick from! and a great one it is.

nancy s. on 12/29/02 at 13:46 (104224)

paula, are you sure you're starting out on the INDEX page of the social/support board?

pala on 12/29/02 at 18:22 (104238)

your concern really mooooved the cows.

pala on 12/29/02 at 18:24 (104239)

it says index page so i guess it is the index page.:). i think it is an enigma wrapped in an anomaly. yeah. that must be it. mooo

nancy s. on 12/29/02 at 19:12 (104243)

but are you SURE it says index page?! never mind. :+}