Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

mashed potato update

Posted by nancy s. on 12/25/02 at 22:30 (104003)

(scottr, i hope this post is going to the social board -- that's where i'm posting from, but right above this box it says once again: 'Post A Message to Foot Surgery Category'!)

hello everyone, i hope you've had a great day. we've got a blizzard going in the northeast; it was slow to build up, but most of my family stayed home and didn't make it to my sister's house in massachusetts. my husband and i drove early to see my dad half an hour from here, and left for home around 11:30 a.m. as the first flakes started to fall.

now it's blizzarding out and has been since afternoon. it's pretty much a white-out condition. anyone who wants snow, let me know -- you can have it! we have a parking ban in town, and i had to go out and drive my van around the block and squish it into our tiny driveway behind the truck. the procedure took about half an hour. it was a very exciting and adventurous trip around the block. (i almost knocked down the neighbor's fence, and almost got demolished by another vehicle as i fishtailed out onto the main road. that was only half the trip; i'll skip the rest.)

anyway, on to the most important topic: mashed potatoes. we still sit here with our uncooked potatoes and all your great advice. we're hoping to try to gather at my sister's on saturday instead, at which time we will take our award-winning mashed potatoes.

but last night, after learning we probably wouldn't make it down there today, my sister went out and bought -- you guessed it -- INSTANT mashed potatoes for the few family who did make it over there today. yuck! she doesn't even sound apologetic about it, those poor people! too bad you couldn't be there, john. i hope to make it up to them on saturday.

merry christmas!

i hope this foolish post does not end up on the foot surgery board. if it does, please forget about it, folks, and do not remember my name.

claudia mcniff

Re: mashed potato update

Pam B on 12/26/02 at 07:52 (104015)

Well, at least you are safe and sound, that is the important part........those people dont know what they missed with your mashed potatoes.......the heck with them, you cook em for you :) they will be good :):)

Sorry bout the snow, I feel for ya, I hate it too.......I live at the beach so we dont get much...but it did snow xmas eve for a little bit......it was nice but did not accumulate........I cannot imagine where you are, it would make me crazy :)

Happier Holidays to you :)

nancy s. on 12/26/02 at 12:59 (104035)

thanks, pam. don't worry, i'll make those potatoes for everyone or just for a few -- i know too much now to avoid it! they sound so good....

i live at the beach too, but in maine. we got 20 inches of snow. usually we have less at the coast than inland, but it didn't work out that way this time. they're still trying to clear the roads, and the snow banks are huge.

this is the first week i've had off from my antiques shop since i opened it almost a year ago. i'm sort of in sleepy, lazy paradise today. think it's nap time now; see ya!

happy holidays to you too.

nancy

Julie on 12/26/02 at 17:10 (104054)

Nancy, your weather was a big item on our national news bulletin this evening. It said that Northeastern United States was having its whitest Christmas on record, with 3 feet of snow in some places. No wonder you couldn't get your mashed potatoes to your sister's!

Better luck on Saturday!

nancy s. on 12/26/02 at 21:38 (104079)

thanks, julie. our weather made news in england? wow. did the blizzard of '78 make news there? that was the whopper of my life. i lived in boston/cambridge, and it was like a ghosttown for a week.

i couldn't get to my job for the whole week. and it didn't matter, because (1) nothing was open, and (2) we weren't allowed to go to our jobs! every time i started feeling guilty about not trying harder to get there, i just turned on the tv, and there was the governor, telling me that not only should i not try to go to work but if i did, as nonessential personnel, i would be arrested.

all the stores were closed. the essentials had been bought out, and delivery trucks couldn't make it into the city.

it was fun for about three days. then bad cabin fever set in. it set in everywhere. fortunately we couldn't get anywhere and do anything destructive with it!

have a wonderful upcoming trip, julie. you'll be glad you have no snow then, i'm sure.

nancy

Julie on 12/27/02 at 02:20 (104085)

Yes: big news yesterday, with wonderful pictures of deep, deep snow and snowploughs and cars buried in drifts. Sigh.

I don't remember about your '78 blizzard, but if it was anything like this one I'm sure it did make our news. We British, as you know, are Very Interested in the Weather. Seriously - natural disasters and phenomena are always news: bush fires in Australia, floods in Bangladesh, earthquakes in Gujarat, avalanches in Austria. So three feet of snow almost anywhere except possibly Tibet is news.

Thanks for your good wishes. The weather in Crete is much the same as it is here: dull, mild, with frequent showers. I am hoping for an improvement. But there IS snow on the mountains, which are visible everywhere. I look forward to that. And last winter at the beginning of January it snowed at sea level for the first time in history, which astounded everyone. Maybe it will do that again...

pala on 12/27/02 at 10:01 (104100)

you've probably told it here before but what brought you from the bronx to england? and crete was somewhere in there? did you mention thailand a while back?

Julie on 12/27/02 at 14:36 (104113)

Paula, I came to live in England because I met my husband while travelling in Europe in 1960. I've lived here ever since. But actually, I left the Bronx well before that, to go to Antioch College in Yellow Springs Ohio in 1952, and never really lived in the Bronx again.

Crete is more recent. I do spend time there and have done since about 1981 when we first discovered that magnificent mountainous island.

Thailand? No, not me, that was Alan K. I have been several times to south India, though.

And what brought you to Atlanta from Brooklyn?

I'll have to look for your answer when I get back in two weeks!

pala on 12/27/02 at 18:35 (104129)

i was driving to florida as a young hippy when car broke down. got to see the city. never saw a prettier one. so many trees here.

Pam B on 12/26/02 at 07:52 (104015)

Well, at least you are safe and sound, that is the important part........those people dont know what they missed with your mashed potatoes.......the heck with them, you cook em for you :) they will be good :):)

Sorry bout the snow, I feel for ya, I hate it too.......I live at the beach so we dont get much...but it did snow xmas eve for a little bit......it was nice but did not accumulate........I cannot imagine where you are, it would make me crazy :)

Happier Holidays to you :)

nancy s. on 12/26/02 at 12:59 (104035)

thanks, pam. don't worry, i'll make those potatoes for everyone or just for a few -- i know too much now to avoid it! they sound so good....

i live at the beach too, but in maine. we got 20 inches of snow. usually we have less at the coast than inland, but it didn't work out that way this time. they're still trying to clear the roads, and the snow banks are huge.

this is the first week i've had off from my antiques shop since i opened it almost a year ago. i'm sort of in sleepy, lazy paradise today. think it's nap time now; see ya!

happy holidays to you too.

nancy

Julie on 12/26/02 at 17:10 (104054)

Nancy, your weather was a big item on our national news bulletin this evening. It said that Northeastern United States was having its whitest Christmas on record, with 3 feet of snow in some places. No wonder you couldn't get your mashed potatoes to your sister's!

Better luck on Saturday!

nancy s. on 12/26/02 at 21:38 (104079)

thanks, julie. our weather made news in england? wow. did the blizzard of '78 make news there? that was the whopper of my life. i lived in boston/cambridge, and it was like a ghosttown for a week.

i couldn't get to my job for the whole week. and it didn't matter, because (1) nothing was open, and (2) we weren't allowed to go to our jobs! every time i started feeling guilty about not trying harder to get there, i just turned on the tv, and there was the governor, telling me that not only should i not try to go to work but if i did, as nonessential personnel, i would be arrested.

all the stores were closed. the essentials had been bought out, and delivery trucks couldn't make it into the city.

it was fun for about three days. then bad cabin fever set in. it set in everywhere. fortunately we couldn't get anywhere and do anything destructive with it!

have a wonderful upcoming trip, julie. you'll be glad you have no snow then, i'm sure.

nancy

Julie on 12/27/02 at 02:20 (104085)

Yes: big news yesterday, with wonderful pictures of deep, deep snow and snowploughs and cars buried in drifts. Sigh.

I don't remember about your '78 blizzard, but if it was anything like this one I'm sure it did make our news. We British, as you know, are Very Interested in the Weather. Seriously - natural disasters and phenomena are always news: bush fires in Australia, floods in Bangladesh, earthquakes in Gujarat, avalanches in Austria. So three feet of snow almost anywhere except possibly Tibet is news.

Thanks for your good wishes. The weather in Crete is much the same as it is here: dull, mild, with frequent showers. I am hoping for an improvement. But there IS snow on the mountains, which are visible everywhere. I look forward to that. And last winter at the beginning of January it snowed at sea level for the first time in history, which astounded everyone. Maybe it will do that again...

pala on 12/27/02 at 10:01 (104100)

you've probably told it here before but what brought you from the bronx to england? and crete was somewhere in there? did you mention thailand a while back?

Julie on 12/27/02 at 14:36 (104113)

Paula, I came to live in England because I met my husband while travelling in Europe in 1960. I've lived here ever since. But actually, I left the Bronx well before that, to go to Antioch College in Yellow Springs Ohio in 1952, and never really lived in the Bronx again.

Crete is more recent. I do spend time there and have done since about 1981 when we first discovered that magnificent mountainous island.

Thailand? No, not me, that was Alan K. I have been several times to south India, though.

And what brought you to Atlanta from Brooklyn?

I'll have to look for your answer when I get back in two weeks!

pala on 12/27/02 at 18:35 (104129)

i was driving to florida as a young hippy when car broke down. got to see the city. never saw a prettier one. so many trees here.