Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Recurring Plantar Fasciitis

Posted by Linda on 12/27/02 at 15:38 (104119)

I have had foot surgery in both feet in the past year for tarsal tunnel release,plantar fascia release,and heel spur excision. Well, i started back at physical therapy on December 12 because the pain is still severe.
My right Plantar Fascia is extremely tight,and the physical therapist says it probably reattached already. When i went to the Podiatrist,he said 'let's try 6 more weeks of physical therapy,and then if that don't wor, we will try Plantar Fascia Release again' I don't know if I want to get this again,or if it is a good idea. My left foot is starting to feel better, but my right fascia is so tight,i can hardly point it up,or turn it. It stinks. I have had problems with my feet for about 24yrs and just want to be pain free.
thanks for letting me vent.

Re: Recurring Plantar Fasciitis

kay on 12/27/02 at 18:50 (104130)

hi linda, i am sorry you aren't doing so well. join the club. i was just whining in another post a few days ago. i am 47 years old and started having p.f. symptoms when i was 19. it got worse and worse as the years pasted and nothing helped. in june 2002 i had partial release and tarsal tunnel release. now i can only be on my feet for 10 minutes at a time and the pain is worse than before because of scar tissue growing i think. did you have the full release? i wasn't aware it could reattach. did your doctor explain how that could happened? what kind of physical therapy are you doing? i hope you can find some comfort with some of the great people who post here.
kay

Linda on 12/28/02 at 08:50 (104157)

I had full release, and no i never asked how it could reattach itself. I had fascia release in 1993 also.
I am having physical therapy on both feet, and they are doing what's called a 'combo' (electronic muscle stimulation,ultrasound) on my calf muscles. I didn't realize how sore they were until i started therapy this time,and the therapist touched my calf muscles. I sit in the whirlpool for 15 minutes when i first get there. They do the combo, then they do a massage of my calves and my feet. Then I get my feet taped, and i get ice on both feet for 15 minutes
The taping really helps. I wish there was a way to get that taping feeling all the time. The tape makes your fascia feel so much better.
My doctor gave me a night brace, but it just makes my right foot feel worse.
I have had foot pain since i was in my teens,and now i'm 40,and i think it's long enough.
I think therapy this time is helping a bit. My left foot is starting to improve,but my right is still as worse as it has ever been.

kay on 12/29/02 at 12:44 (104216)

you had the facia release in 93? did it help? was this a different foot than you just had done? i don't understand how you can have a full release more than once. if it reattaches is that just scar tissue growing attaching to it? i guess it would help if i were a doctor. lol
is the only p.t. you are having on the calf muscle? i was asking because after my surgery my doc never put me in any kind of p.t.
i had my foot taped once by a physical thearapist but it only caused my foot to hurt. i cannot stand to wear my shoes either. it makes both my feet hurt and i've only had surgery on the right one. i figured i didn't want to take a chance on both feet if it didn't work.
there are a lot of people who post here that nothing has helped them. i feel like i am joining the group. not that i want too....
i've done it all except the estw but my insurance won't cover it and i have no money. i'm nearly ready to run out of sick pay.
do you still do stretching exercise? i just read an article the other day on the internet saying that they are finding out it seldom helps. all that stretching for nothing. i hope your p.t. continues improving your feet, better slow than none at all.
kay

Linda on 12/29/02 at 13:51 (104226)

When i had fascia release in 93, it was on my right foot. It helped for about a year. I did have the same one done December 14,2002.
The therapy i am having breaks up the scar tissue.
I do stretching exercises with a towel, and i have a rubber band the therapist gave me to strengthen the tendons.
The ems and ultrasound is being done on my calf muscles, the massage is being done on my fascia,heels,and calf. My left one is feeling better, but my right is just as sore. I have 1 month of therapy left,then i have to decide if i want surgery again. I think i'm gonna say no. it didn't work the first time, so why try again.

kay on 12/30/02 at 22:06 (104353)

i won't have another surgery either. i am talking to my doc about something to help break up scar tissue the next time i see her.
good luck and come back with updates.
i hope you do better.
kay

Linda on 12/31/02 at 15:38 (104414)

This time therapy is helping. The more therapy i have done on my calf muscle,the better it feels (well, my left foot anyway)
I had ultrasound,ems,and deep massage,which helped with the scar tissue
good luck,Kay, and thanks for responding

kay on 12/27/02 at 18:50 (104130)

hi linda, i am sorry you aren't doing so well. join the club. i was just whining in another post a few days ago. i am 47 years old and started having p.f. symptoms when i was 19. it got worse and worse as the years pasted and nothing helped. in june 2002 i had partial release and tarsal tunnel release. now i can only be on my feet for 10 minutes at a time and the pain is worse than before because of scar tissue growing i think. did you have the full release? i wasn't aware it could reattach. did your doctor explain how that could happened? what kind of physical therapy are you doing? i hope you can find some comfort with some of the great people who post here.
kay

Linda on 12/28/02 at 08:50 (104157)

I had full release, and no i never asked how it could reattach itself. I had fascia release in 1993 also.
I am having physical therapy on both feet, and they are doing what's called a 'combo' (electronic muscle stimulation,ultrasound) on my calf muscles. I didn't realize how sore they were until i started therapy this time,and the therapist touched my calf muscles. I sit in the whirlpool for 15 minutes when i first get there. They do the combo, then they do a massage of my calves and my feet. Then I get my feet taped, and i get ice on both feet for 15 minutes
The taping really helps. I wish there was a way to get that taping feeling all the time. The tape makes your fascia feel so much better.
My doctor gave me a night brace, but it just makes my right foot feel worse.
I have had foot pain since i was in my teens,and now i'm 40,and i think it's long enough.
I think therapy this time is helping a bit. My left foot is starting to improve,but my right is still as worse as it has ever been.

kay on 12/29/02 at 12:44 (104216)

you had the facia release in 93? did it help? was this a different foot than you just had done? i don't understand how you can have a full release more than once. if it reattaches is that just scar tissue growing attaching to it? i guess it would help if i were a doctor. lol
is the only p.t. you are having on the calf muscle? i was asking because after my surgery my doc never put me in any kind of p.t.
i had my foot taped once by a physical thearapist but it only caused my foot to hurt. i cannot stand to wear my shoes either. it makes both my feet hurt and i've only had surgery on the right one. i figured i didn't want to take a chance on both feet if it didn't work.
there are a lot of people who post here that nothing has helped them. i feel like i am joining the group. not that i want too....
i've done it all except the estw but my insurance won't cover it and i have no money. i'm nearly ready to run out of sick pay.
do you still do stretching exercise? i just read an article the other day on the internet saying that they are finding out it seldom helps. all that stretching for nothing. i hope your p.t. continues improving your feet, better slow than none at all.
kay

Linda on 12/29/02 at 13:51 (104226)

When i had fascia release in 93, it was on my right foot. It helped for about a year. I did have the same one done December 14,2002.
The therapy i am having breaks up the scar tissue.
I do stretching exercises with a towel, and i have a rubber band the therapist gave me to strengthen the tendons.
The ems and ultrasound is being done on my calf muscles, the massage is being done on my fascia,heels,and calf. My left one is feeling better, but my right is just as sore. I have 1 month of therapy left,then i have to decide if i want surgery again. I think i'm gonna say no. it didn't work the first time, so why try again.

kay on 12/30/02 at 22:06 (104353)

i won't have another surgery either. i am talking to my doc about something to help break up scar tissue the next time i see her.
good luck and come back with updates.
i hope you do better.
kay

Linda on 12/31/02 at 15:38 (104414)

This time therapy is helping. The more therapy i have done on my calf muscle,the better it feels (well, my left foot anyway)
I had ultrasound,ems,and deep massage,which helped with the scar tissue
good luck,Kay, and thanks for responding