Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthotics and bunyons

Posted by Gus B on 12/27/02 at 15:38 (104120)

Do orthotics help prevent bunyons?

Re: Orthotics and bunyons

Sharon W on 12/27/02 at 17:22 (104126)

Yes. Bunions are typically caused by pronation, a biomechanical problem that can be corrected with orthotics. Orthotics can't eliminate a bunion that has already formed, however -- it can only help to keep it from getting WORSE.

I am not a Dr., but I recently asked mine this question.

Sharon

Richard, C.Ped on 12/28/02 at 09:03 (104159)

Actually, they can not really prevent bunions, especially if they are genetic...which most are. An orthosis helps to slow down progression by preventing excess pressure on the sesamoid bones.
Richard

wendyn on 12/28/02 at 11:21 (104165)

Mine are genetic (and due to lousy biomechanics)...I was told that the orthotics would help slow down the bunions (but not prevent them).

Mar on 12/28/02 at 15:09 (104177)

I didn;t realize that there was a direct connection between the sesamoid and the bunion. I had bunion surgery in March 2001 and have had chronic inflammation/pain in a bipartite sesmoid. I knew there was a connection between the surgery and the sesamoid inflammtion, but didn;t realize that there was the connection between the bunion and sesamoid to begin with. Wish I could clear up this inflammmtion/pain. Mar

Sharon W on 12/28/02 at 15:12 (104179)

Wendyn,

Lousy biomechanics are usually genetic (my daughter is unfortunately a very prime example of this), and poor biomechanics (overpronation) are clearly linked with the formation of bunions -- otherwise wearing orthotics would not help. There may be a specific tendency to form bunions that affects some people with certain biomechanical faults but not others with identical biomechanical problems... I don't know.

But most of the time orthotics DO NOT correct 100% for poor biomechanics, anyway.

Sharon

Re: Orthotics and bunions

Dr. David S. Wander on 12/28/02 at 16:30 (104180)

Despite anecdotal evidence, there have been no studies that prove that orthoses (orthotics) will prevent bunions. In theory, orthoses should slow the progression of bunions, since the biomechanical abnormalities that contribute to bunions would be addressed. However, genetics and shoegear also play a very large role in the development of bunions. And although in theory orthoses should slow the progression of bunions, there have been no studies that I know of that confirm this.

wendyn on 12/28/02 at 17:33 (104183)

Bunions hurt.

This much I know for sure.

Sharon W on 12/28/02 at 23:47 (104187)

I believe it!

Sharon

Sharon W on 12/27/02 at 17:22 (104126)

Yes. Bunions are typically caused by pronation, a biomechanical problem that can be corrected with orthotics. Orthotics can't eliminate a bunion that has already formed, however -- it can only help to keep it from getting WORSE.

I am not a Dr., but I recently asked mine this question.

Sharon

Richard, C.Ped on 12/28/02 at 09:03 (104159)

Actually, they can not really prevent bunions, especially if they are genetic...which most are. An orthosis helps to slow down progression by preventing excess pressure on the sesamoid bones.
Richard

wendyn on 12/28/02 at 11:21 (104165)

Mine are genetic (and due to lousy biomechanics)...I was told that the orthotics would help slow down the bunions (but not prevent them).

Mar on 12/28/02 at 15:09 (104177)

I didn;t realize that there was a direct connection between the sesamoid and the bunion. I had bunion surgery in March 2001 and have had chronic inflammation/pain in a bipartite sesmoid. I knew there was a connection between the surgery and the sesamoid inflammtion, but didn;t realize that there was the connection between the bunion and sesamoid to begin with. Wish I could clear up this inflammmtion/pain. Mar

Sharon W on 12/28/02 at 15:12 (104179)

Wendyn,

Lousy biomechanics are usually genetic (my daughter is unfortunately a very prime example of this), and poor biomechanics (overpronation) are clearly linked with the formation of bunions -- otherwise wearing orthotics would not help. There may be a specific tendency to form bunions that affects some people with certain biomechanical faults but not others with identical biomechanical problems... I don't know.

But most of the time orthotics DO NOT correct 100% for poor biomechanics, anyway.

Sharon

Re: Orthotics and bunions

Dr. David S. Wander on 12/28/02 at 16:30 (104180)

Despite anecdotal evidence, there have been no studies that prove that orthoses (orthotics) will prevent bunions. In theory, orthoses should slow the progression of bunions, since the biomechanical abnormalities that contribute to bunions would be addressed. However, genetics and shoegear also play a very large role in the development of bunions. And although in theory orthoses should slow the progression of bunions, there have been no studies that I know of that confirm this.

wendyn on 12/28/02 at 17:33 (104183)

Bunions hurt.

This much I know for sure.

Sharon W on 12/28/02 at 23:47 (104187)

I believe it!

Sharon