Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Plantar Fasciitis

Posted by RUSSELL F on 12/27/02 at 21:12 (104141)

Mr. Davis pointed out that using high-heeled cowboy boots--long term--could cause back problems. That may be true in the long run.
However, I really would not consider wearing the boots for 1 1/2-2 weeks 'long term', which is the period of time that it takes to CURE Plantar Fasciitis!

wendyn on 12/27/02 at 21:41 (104143)

Thanks Russell, do you have some scientific studies that you're relating this back to?

The boots may or may not help - but your description of an absolute cure in under 2 weeks must be one of the best kept secrets in the world!

Julie on 12/28/02 at 02:25 (104150)

Russel, you've now posted several times about cowboy boots as a CURE for PF, and I don't doubt that they helped you. But I'm uncomfortable with your enthusiasm, and very uncomfortable with your constant use of the word 'cure'. I really don't think it's a good idea to make pronouncements like this, even though I understand the need to shout what has helped you from the rooftops in the hope of helping others.

As Wendy says, if it is, it must be the world's best-kept secret.

What works for one doesn't work for all, as we know.

RUSSELL F on 12/28/02 at 04:51 (104151)

I have been ridiculed by certain people for using the word 'cure' pertaining to the use of 'cowboy boots' in order to correct PF. I am not out to score points for telling people how to correct their PF. If something works, then why not try it! I merely said that the boots had worked for me and a friend of mine, and were recommended by a chiropractor friend, who apparently had several patients to see the same positive results that my friend and I had. Why not try to help people who have the same problems that we had with extremely painful feet? ISN'T THAT THE REASON FOR HAVING MESSAGE BOARDS? AND, YES, I CAN SHOUT FROM THE ROOFTOPS AS ONE SO ELOQUENTLY PUT IT--- THE BOOTS DO WORK!!!
There were implications that the boots 'may have helped me, but may not help someone else'. That could possibly be true, but I doubt it. So far, with the boots, we are batting 1,000. Those are really pretty good odds! I wouldn't exactly say that it was just 2 people who were cured of PF. One must think of all the patients who were cured by the chiropractor who told me about the 'best-kept secret in the world'!! Try it, you will be amazed at the results! Remember, at least 1 1/2 weeks minimum, every day wearing the boots. Don't expect results UNTILL the 1 1/2 weeks are over!!

nancy s. on 12/28/02 at 05:42 (104152)

russell, i'm just curious: how long did you have pf, and how bad was it?

this is not to ridicule you. i'm glad you were helped by cowboy boots. i just wonder if your condition resembled the condition of most people on these boards, many of whom have suffered for years and try absolutely everything. many people here have other foot conditions complicating the pf; and whether or not cowboy boots can help also probably depends on why a person got pf in the first place.

can you give us a little more info on your bout prior to trying cowboy boots?

nancy

Julie on 12/28/02 at 06:25 (104153)

Russell, I wasn't 'ridiculing' you, and I don't think Wendy, who also questioned your use of the word cure, was either. My point was that it may be better to be a little circumspect in one's choice of words when addressing, as Nancy says, people who have been suffering, some of them in extreme pain for years.

Apart from not raising false hopes, a more careful choice of words might encourage people to take your recommendations more seriously.

I am sorry if what I said caused any offense.

RUSSELL F on 12/28/02 at 07:05 (104155)

Nancy S,

I was first introduced to PF while using the 'step machine' at the local spa approximately 7-8 years ago. After several days of experiencing unexplained pain to the bottoms of my feet, I went to a podiatrist, who told me that I had PF! I was fitted with inserts in my shoes, which seemed not to help the condition at all. I began using NSAIDs (ie. Ibuprofen, Indomethacin, Tolectin) thinking that they might help my condition, but they only helped somewhat.

I lived with the agonizing pain of PF for almost 2 years. From the moment my feet touched the floor in the morning untill I got off of them at night, I was miserable! It was an 'aching' pain which never let up. Well, some people have jobs which allow them to sit occasionally, but as a pharmacist, I had to stand almost all of the day, and if one does have PF, then one knows that as long as you stand, then you are going to be in pain. And the longer the day gets, the worse the pain gets. I lived like that for approximately 2 years, until I met my girlfriend's chiropractor, who advised me to get the cowboy boots with the high-heels. He told me to wear them for a week and a half, and after that time I would no longer have this problem. Lo and behold, he was correct! So, yes I suffered for almost 2 years with PF. To be perfectly honest with you, I was very skeptical when he recommended me wearing the cowboy boots, but I was willing to try anything to get rid of the nagging pain! I wore the boots exactly 1 1/2 weeks, and I have never had problems with PF since.

I have read that people who have PF are good candidates for having Tarpal Tunnel Syndrome (TTS), and that seems to be my problem now, That is how I ran across this website---looking for answers to TTS, and I saw how many people were suffering from PF. I have had no problems whatsoever from PF after wearing the boots, but now I am faced with another foot problem, which seems almost as bad as PF, but not quite. I thought that I could offer to so many sufferers of PF the simple solution with the boots. I just wish TTS were that easy to get over.

Thanks for responding to my message. I hope that I have been able to help you with PF!! Russell

Dr. Z on 12/28/02 at 09:45 (104163)

I have heard this before that cowboy boots will help plantar fasciitis heel spur painWhat is new to me is that you can stop after two weeks and that the lenght of time doesn't really matter. I say go for it. What can it hurt. Your back. Yes, maybe take extra caution if you have lower back problem.

Re: Russell

wendyn on 12/28/02 at 11:19 (104164)

Russell - don't go getting your shorts all in a knot....you are more than welcome to encourage people to try cowboy boots for their PF. Lots of things are suggested on this site that don't make anyone any money at all...ice, stretching, rest etc. Cowboy boots are just one more thing to try.

What my concern was, and I'll try to be clearer this time...

What works for you may, or may not, work for everyone. My PF went away ALL BY ITSELF after 6 weeks. So, theoretically, I could 'shout from the rooftops' that if you leave it alone - it will go away (at precisely the 6 week mark)

Realistically, I know that that may not be the case for everyone.

There are people here who swear that rolling their feet on a frozen pop bottle cured them, or people who swear by over-the counter orthotics, or people who swear by massaging their feet before they get out of bed. We even have some (at least one) person who swears that duct- taping his feet solved his problem. These are all things to try, but I'd be reluctant to insist that they are cure-alls for everyone.

More importantly with PF (than a cure) is really avoiding having it come back again. If PF is caused by lousy shoes, then it's really important to get good shoes before 'next time'.

Now back to your current condition - it's called Tarsal tunnel syndrome, not Tarpal Tunnel Syndrome...and we have a number of people here with that as well (myself included). We'd be happy to exchange information and ideas with you (and I promise it won't earn anyone any money).

I hope this helps resolve your worries.

RUSSELL F on 12/29/02 at 00:51 (104190)

Re: Julie, Nancy S, and especially Wendy,

My intentions for coming to this website was to find out more pertaining to TarSal Tunnel Syndrome, which I misspelled in one of my previous replies. I apologize to the 3 ladies above, who quickly brought it to my attention. After making the mistake, I, somehow felt that I would be reminded of it pretty quickly and I wasn't disappointed.

I do apologize if it seemed that I was coming on too strong with the 'cowboy boots as the perfect cure for PF'! I only have an opinion of what I have seen the boots do. And that is a 100% cure rate! But, don't go by that! There could have been some misleading factors , such as age, general health, etcetera--can't think of any more!!

You probably shouldn't try the cowboy boots because from what I have seen, by using them so far, is that they only have a 100 % cure rate. But that is just from observing only 2 people, not to mention all the others that the chiropractor treated in his twenty-plus years of practice. However, I don't have stats on him, but since he divulged the information to me, I would guess that he might have, perhaps at least a 90 plus percentage rate of success with the boots, however I can't truthfully vouch for that!!,

In all seriousness, I tried the boots and they worked for me and my friend, and in a very short period of time. Neither one of us has PF any longer. I can't truthfully say that they would work for anyone else, but if I were hurting bad enough, I would 'give it a lash'! You have nothing to lose except a few coins. Good luck with your Plantar Fasciitis. I hope that you fully get rid of the problem, because, I do know how much pain you are going through. Good luck and God Bless You.

RUSSELL F on 12/29/02 at 01:08 (104191)

Thanks, Doc

I was beginning to take a preety good lashing from the females, until you came along!

Thanks Much!!!! Russell

RUSSELL F on 12/29/02 at 01:26 (104193)

None, whatsoever!

nancy s. on 12/29/02 at 01:41 (104194)

russell, i can't find any lashing in my post/questions to you. i do think anyone could expect at least some questions, posting a 'cure' to a site where people are fairly up-to-date on pf treatment.

you answered my questions, and i thank you. i hope your experience provides relief for some people. if it does for even one, you have done a very good deed. and i hope you find relief for your tts.

nancy

RUSSELL F on 12/29/02 at 01:48 (104195)

Wendy,

The boots are just like women--there is nothing better!! I have side-stepped you women ever since I first posted a message pertaining to the validity of the cowboy boots in regard to PF!! Because of my experience, I refuse to back down from the boots as a cure, BY GOD THE BOOTS ARE A CURE, MAYBE NOT TO EVERYONE, BUT TO MOST PEOPLE! AT LEAST FROM AGES 15 TO 50!!! AND YES, WENDY MY UNDERWEAR IS IN A KNOT OVER THIS!

I AM INTERESTED IN TTS , LET SOMEONE ELSE FIGURE OUT WHETHER COWBOY BOOTS WILL CURE THEIR PF PROBLEM!!

My suggestion about PF: Get one person to try the boots to see if they work, and if they do then try to find someone your boot size!!!!

nancy s. on 12/29/02 at 02:40 (104196)

ugh. russell, sure would be nice if you'd cut out the pigeon-holing. do you think you could do that? i hope so. otherwise, i'm done with this thread.

nancy

wendyn on 12/27/02 at 21:41 (104143)

Thanks Russell, do you have some scientific studies that you're relating this back to?

The boots may or may not help - but your description of an absolute cure in under 2 weeks must be one of the best kept secrets in the world!

Julie on 12/28/02 at 02:25 (104150)

Russel, you've now posted several times about cowboy boots as a CURE for PF, and I don't doubt that they helped you. But I'm uncomfortable with your enthusiasm, and very uncomfortable with your constant use of the word 'cure'. I really don't think it's a good idea to make pronouncements like this, even though I understand the need to shout what has helped you from the rooftops in the hope of helping others.

As Wendy says, if it is, it must be the world's best-kept secret.

What works for one doesn't work for all, as we know.

RUSSELL F on 12/28/02 at 04:51 (104151)

I have been ridiculed by certain people for using the word 'cure' pertaining to the use of 'cowboy boots' in order to correct PF. I am not out to score points for telling people how to correct their PF. If something works, then why not try it! I merely said that the boots had worked for me and a friend of mine, and were recommended by a chiropractor friend, who apparently had several patients to see the same positive results that my friend and I had. Why not try to help people who have the same problems that we had with extremely painful feet? ISN'T THAT THE REASON FOR HAVING MESSAGE BOARDS? AND, YES, I CAN SHOUT FROM THE ROOFTOPS AS ONE SO ELOQUENTLY PUT IT--- THE BOOTS DO WORK!!!
There were implications that the boots 'may have helped me, but may not help someone else'. That could possibly be true, but I doubt it. So far, with the boots, we are batting 1,000. Those are really pretty good odds! I wouldn't exactly say that it was just 2 people who were cured of PF. One must think of all the patients who were cured by the chiropractor who told me about the 'best-kept secret in the world'!! Try it, you will be amazed at the results! Remember, at least 1 1/2 weeks minimum, every day wearing the boots. Don't expect results UNTILL the 1 1/2 weeks are over!!

nancy s. on 12/28/02 at 05:42 (104152)

russell, i'm just curious: how long did you have pf, and how bad was it?

this is not to ridicule you. i'm glad you were helped by cowboy boots. i just wonder if your condition resembled the condition of most people on these boards, many of whom have suffered for years and try absolutely everything. many people here have other foot conditions complicating the pf; and whether or not cowboy boots can help also probably depends on why a person got pf in the first place.

can you give us a little more info on your bout prior to trying cowboy boots?

nancy

Julie on 12/28/02 at 06:25 (104153)

Russell, I wasn't 'ridiculing' you, and I don't think Wendy, who also questioned your use of the word cure, was either. My point was that it may be better to be a little circumspect in one's choice of words when addressing, as Nancy says, people who have been suffering, some of them in extreme pain for years.

Apart from not raising false hopes, a more careful choice of words might encourage people to take your recommendations more seriously.

I am sorry if what I said caused any offense.

RUSSELL F on 12/28/02 at 07:05 (104155)

Nancy S,

I was first introduced to PF while using the 'step machine' at the local spa approximately 7-8 years ago. After several days of experiencing unexplained pain to the bottoms of my feet, I went to a podiatrist, who told me that I had PF! I was fitted with inserts in my shoes, which seemed not to help the condition at all. I began using NSAIDs (ie. Ibuprofen, Indomethacin, Tolectin) thinking that they might help my condition, but they only helped somewhat.

I lived with the agonizing pain of PF for almost 2 years. From the moment my feet touched the floor in the morning untill I got off of them at night, I was miserable! It was an 'aching' pain which never let up. Well, some people have jobs which allow them to sit occasionally, but as a pharmacist, I had to stand almost all of the day, and if one does have PF, then one knows that as long as you stand, then you are going to be in pain. And the longer the day gets, the worse the pain gets. I lived like that for approximately 2 years, until I met my girlfriend's chiropractor, who advised me to get the cowboy boots with the high-heels. He told me to wear them for a week and a half, and after that time I would no longer have this problem. Lo and behold, he was correct! So, yes I suffered for almost 2 years with PF. To be perfectly honest with you, I was very skeptical when he recommended me wearing the cowboy boots, but I was willing to try anything to get rid of the nagging pain! I wore the boots exactly 1 1/2 weeks, and I have never had problems with PF since.

I have read that people who have PF are good candidates for having Tarpal Tunnel Syndrome (TTS), and that seems to be my problem now, That is how I ran across this website---looking for answers to TTS, and I saw how many people were suffering from PF. I have had no problems whatsoever from PF after wearing the boots, but now I am faced with another foot problem, which seems almost as bad as PF, but not quite. I thought that I could offer to so many sufferers of PF the simple solution with the boots. I just wish TTS were that easy to get over.

Thanks for responding to my message. I hope that I have been able to help you with PF!! Russell

Dr. Z on 12/28/02 at 09:45 (104163)

I have heard this before that cowboy boots will help plantar fasciitis heel spur painWhat is new to me is that you can stop after two weeks and that the lenght of time doesn't really matter. I say go for it. What can it hurt. Your back. Yes, maybe take extra caution if you have lower back problem.

Re: Russell

wendyn on 12/28/02 at 11:19 (104164)

Russell - don't go getting your shorts all in a knot....you are more than welcome to encourage people to try cowboy boots for their PF. Lots of things are suggested on this site that don't make anyone any money at all...ice, stretching, rest etc. Cowboy boots are just one more thing to try.

What my concern was, and I'll try to be clearer this time...

What works for you may, or may not, work for everyone. My PF went away ALL BY ITSELF after 6 weeks. So, theoretically, I could 'shout from the rooftops' that if you leave it alone - it will go away (at precisely the 6 week mark)

Realistically, I know that that may not be the case for everyone.

There are people here who swear that rolling their feet on a frozen pop bottle cured them, or people who swear by over-the counter orthotics, or people who swear by massaging their feet before they get out of bed. We even have some (at least one) person who swears that duct- taping his feet solved his problem. These are all things to try, but I'd be reluctant to insist that they are cure-alls for everyone.

More importantly with PF (than a cure) is really avoiding having it come back again. If PF is caused by lousy shoes, then it's really important to get good shoes before 'next time'.

Now back to your current condition - it's called Tarsal tunnel syndrome, not Tarpal Tunnel Syndrome...and we have a number of people here with that as well (myself included). We'd be happy to exchange information and ideas with you (and I promise it won't earn anyone any money).

I hope this helps resolve your worries.

RUSSELL F on 12/29/02 at 00:51 (104190)

Re: Julie, Nancy S, and especially Wendy,

My intentions for coming to this website was to find out more pertaining to TarSal Tunnel Syndrome, which I misspelled in one of my previous replies. I apologize to the 3 ladies above, who quickly brought it to my attention. After making the mistake, I, somehow felt that I would be reminded of it pretty quickly and I wasn't disappointed.

I do apologize if it seemed that I was coming on too strong with the 'cowboy boots as the perfect cure for PF'! I only have an opinion of what I have seen the boots do. And that is a 100% cure rate! But, don't go by that! There could have been some misleading factors , such as age, general health, etcetera--can't think of any more!!

You probably shouldn't try the cowboy boots because from what I have seen, by using them so far, is that they only have a 100 % cure rate. But that is just from observing only 2 people, not to mention all the others that the chiropractor treated in his twenty-plus years of practice. However, I don't have stats on him, but since he divulged the information to me, I would guess that he might have, perhaps at least a 90 plus percentage rate of success with the boots, however I can't truthfully vouch for that!!,

In all seriousness, I tried the boots and they worked for me and my friend, and in a very short period of time. Neither one of us has PF any longer. I can't truthfully say that they would work for anyone else, but if I were hurting bad enough, I would 'give it a lash'! You have nothing to lose except a few coins. Good luck with your Plantar Fasciitis. I hope that you fully get rid of the problem, because, I do know how much pain you are going through. Good luck and God Bless You.

RUSSELL F on 12/29/02 at 01:08 (104191)

Thanks, Doc

I was beginning to take a preety good lashing from the females, until you came along!

Thanks Much!!!! Russell

RUSSELL F on 12/29/02 at 01:26 (104193)

None, whatsoever!

nancy s. on 12/29/02 at 01:41 (104194)

russell, i can't find any lashing in my post/questions to you. i do think anyone could expect at least some questions, posting a 'cure' to a site where people are fairly up-to-date on pf treatment.

you answered my questions, and i thank you. i hope your experience provides relief for some people. if it does for even one, you have done a very good deed. and i hope you find relief for your tts.

nancy

RUSSELL F on 12/29/02 at 01:48 (104195)

Wendy,

The boots are just like women--there is nothing better!! I have side-stepped you women ever since I first posted a message pertaining to the validity of the cowboy boots in regard to PF!! Because of my experience, I refuse to back down from the boots as a cure, BY GOD THE BOOTS ARE A CURE, MAYBE NOT TO EVERYONE, BUT TO MOST PEOPLE! AT LEAST FROM AGES 15 TO 50!!! AND YES, WENDY MY UNDERWEAR IS IN A KNOT OVER THIS!

I AM INTERESTED IN TTS , LET SOMEONE ELSE FIGURE OUT WHETHER COWBOY BOOTS WILL CURE THEIR PF PROBLEM!!

My suggestion about PF: Get one person to try the boots to see if they work, and if they do then try to find someone your boot size!!!!

nancy s. on 12/29/02 at 02:40 (104196)

ugh. russell, sure would be nice if you'd cut out the pigeon-holing. do you think you could do that? i hope so. otherwise, i'm done with this thread.

nancy