Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can tarsal tunnel syndrome affect your calves and knees?

Posted by marie e on 12/29/02 at 10:11 (104208)

I was dx with bilateral tts last spring. It started with pain and numbness in the meta-tarsals the fall before. It felt like I was walking on my bones. After pt and injections my meta-tarsal pain and numbness improved significantly. I still have swelling on the inside and outside of my ankles along with numbness. I am on 600 mg of neurontin daily and have been tested for about everything to find out if there is anything contributing to the tts like diabetetes, lyme, B12, MS, heart etc...all checks out ok. Orthotics did not help but made it worse...I wear supportive well cusshioned shoes now. The back of my ankle seems to be very sensitive and is really pulling on my calve muscles...mabie nerves. My calves are spastic and my knees feel tight. I have shooting pains in my calves and some twitching. My neurologist suggests that the numbness in my thighs reflects meralgia paresthetica. I am not overweight but was off my feet alot when my meta-tarsals were at their worst. Can tts be causing problems in my calves and knees? At this point I would like to look into surgery. What do you think? Would steroid injections in my lower calves near my ankles help the pain?

Re: Can tarsal tunnel syndrome affect your calves and knees?

Donna H on 1/04/03 at 01:09 (104775)

I have bilateral TTS in both feet, but 'significantly worse in the left foot...' according to 7/02 EMG. I also have Achilles tendonitis in my left foot. So I know the misery u r in. You said u r on '600 mgs neurontin daily. Did u mean several times a day or 600 mgs total? If the latter, that is a very low dose - talk to your dr to increase dosage.I take 600 mgs 3-5 x day. Orthotics also made my feet MUCH worse - forget it - no matter how much promoted by the docs. Because you mentioned pulling on calves, I am wondering if maybe you also have the Achilles tendonitis? Most people think it is only the result of some sports injury, but not true. Achilles tendonitis can be result of sudden trauma (idiot ran stop sign, slammed into my car -feet caught, twisted). It can also be small trauma over period of time. It is sometimes difficult to determine if the pain, electrocution, stabbing, pulling,limping is the tts or the Achilles tendonitis. I have heard several times, plus read some of the drs online speak negatively about the steroid injections. Pls read up on it. Good luck to you.

Re: Can tarsal tunnel syndrome affect your calves and knees?

Donna H on 1/04/03 at 01:09 (104775)

I have bilateral TTS in both feet, but 'significantly worse in the left foot...' according to 7/02 EMG. I also have Achilles tendonitis in my left foot. So I know the misery u r in. You said u r on '600 mgs neurontin daily. Did u mean several times a day or 600 mgs total? If the latter, that is a very low dose - talk to your dr to increase dosage.I take 600 mgs 3-5 x day. Orthotics also made my feet MUCH worse - forget it - no matter how much promoted by the docs. Because you mentioned pulling on calves, I am wondering if maybe you also have the Achilles tendonitis? Most people think it is only the result of some sports injury, but not true. Achilles tendonitis can be result of sudden trauma (idiot ran stop sign, slammed into my car -feet caught, twisted). It can also be small trauma over period of time. It is sometimes difficult to determine if the pain, electrocution, stabbing, pulling,limping is the tts or the Achilles tendonitis. I have heard several times, plus read some of the drs online speak negatively about the steroid injections. Pls read up on it. Good luck to you.