Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Baxter Surgery Update

Posted by BrianJ on 12/29/02 at 20:56 (104250)

Hi --

For those keeping track, it has now been three months since my 'Baxter surgery,' during which the doctor released the first branch of the lateral plantar nerve in my left foot. To this point, I have noticed no improvement. The heel pain in my left foot is still slightly worse than the pre-surgery pain level. I have heard that this surgery sometimes takes up to a year to be effective, so I am not giving up. However, because I want my reports to be objective, I must say there is no particular cause for optimism at this point either.

I will report again in about a month. Have a good New Year!

Re: Baxter Surgery Update

Sharon W on 12/29/02 at 23:56 (104259)

Brian,

I was just thinking of you a couple of days ago -- wondering how you were doing. Sorry to hear it's no improvement so far.

I believe I remember you posting earlier that you had pain for quite a while AFTER you got off your feet, and then later you posted that since the surgery you've noticed a positive change -- that the pain would go away faster than before your surgery. How are you doing with that now?

Sharon

BrianJ on 12/30/02 at 14:47 (104305)

Sharon --

As far as my post-ambulation pain, the jury is still out. I thought it was somewhat better, but then the holidays caused me to be on my feet more than I would like (parties, house cleaning before the in-laws come, etc.) Thus, lately the post-ambulation pain is about the same as pre-surgery.

I'll post another report in about a month -- sooner if there's any noticeable change.

BrianG on 12/30/02 at 16:23 (104317)

Hey BrianJ,

Just wondering if your working, at this time? If so, how much time of your work day would you say that you are on your feet?

Good luck, there has to be an answer......
BrianG

Pauline on 12/30/02 at 19:39 (104336)

Updates are important to everyone here. Thanks for keeping us informed and wishing you a speedy recovery.

BrianJ on 12/31/02 at 08:55 (104371)

In answer to your question, I have a desk job, so I am on my feet very little. When I have to stand or walk a lot for some reason (e.g., going to a Dallas Mavericks game), it usually leads to a flare-up for a day or two.

DJ on 1/14/03 at 22:46 (105506)

Brian,

Have you seen or spoke to Dr. Baxter since your surgery? Also, what were his expectation to your recovery after the surgery. Good Luck!

BrianJ on 1/15/03 at 12:13 (105517)

DJ --

I saw Doctor Baxter several weeks after the surgery for follow-up. He said the incision was healing well. The median time for his patients to show significant improvement after this particular procedure is 3 months. I am now at 4.5 months and have felt no improvement yet. I guess I need to call him and see if there's anything else he can do.

rickb on 1/22/03 at 07:12 (106257)

i had baxter's type surgry sept 01. it took me until jan till i could walk more than a couple of feet. took five months to be back to pre opp pain. still had pain and had full tarsal tunnel done 12/02 still not walking more than a few steps.

Sharon W on 12/29/02 at 23:56 (104259)

Brian,

I was just thinking of you a couple of days ago -- wondering how you were doing. Sorry to hear it's no improvement so far.

I believe I remember you posting earlier that you had pain for quite a while AFTER you got off your feet, and then later you posted that since the surgery you've noticed a positive change -- that the pain would go away faster than before your surgery. How are you doing with that now?

Sharon

BrianJ on 12/30/02 at 14:47 (104305)

Sharon --

As far as my post-ambulation pain, the jury is still out. I thought it was somewhat better, but then the holidays caused me to be on my feet more than I would like (parties, house cleaning before the in-laws come, etc.) Thus, lately the post-ambulation pain is about the same as pre-surgery.

I'll post another report in about a month -- sooner if there's any noticeable change.

BrianG on 12/30/02 at 16:23 (104317)

Hey BrianJ,

Just wondering if your working, at this time? If so, how much time of your work day would you say that you are on your feet?

Good luck, there has to be an answer......
BrianG

Pauline on 12/30/02 at 19:39 (104336)

Updates are important to everyone here. Thanks for keeping us informed and wishing you a speedy recovery.

BrianJ on 12/31/02 at 08:55 (104371)

In answer to your question, I have a desk job, so I am on my feet very little. When I have to stand or walk a lot for some reason (e.g., going to a Dallas Mavericks game), it usually leads to a flare-up for a day or two.

DJ on 1/14/03 at 22:46 (105506)

Brian,

Have you seen or spoke to Dr. Baxter since your surgery? Also, what were his expectation to your recovery after the surgery. Good Luck!

BrianJ on 1/15/03 at 12:13 (105517)

DJ --

I saw Doctor Baxter several weeks after the surgery for follow-up. He said the incision was healing well. The median time for his patients to show significant improvement after this particular procedure is 3 months. I am now at 4.5 months and have felt no improvement yet. I guess I need to call him and see if there's anything else he can do.

rickb on 1/22/03 at 07:12 (106257)

i had baxter's type surgry sept 01. it took me until jan till i could walk more than a couple of feet. took five months to be back to pre opp pain. still had pain and had full tarsal tunnel done 12/02 still not walking more than a few steps.