Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hallux Rigidus

Posted by Samantha H. on 12/30/02 at 07:00 (104263)

I have severe hallux rigidus in my right big toe, and my orthapaedic surgeon has referred me for a joint replacement. I am 51.
Is this sort ot procedure the best choice? What is the recovery period, and are there ever any complications ?

Re: Hallux Rigidus

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/31/02 at 14:43 (104406)

Samantha:

Joint replacement surgery should be reserved for stage 4 hallux rigidus; stages 1 through 3 can be treated without that type of procedure.

There are a number of different types of joint 'implants' so the results, recovery and success rate will, in part, be related to the type of implant chosen. Your surgeon should explain the differences between the different implants and why he/she is chosing the particular one for you.

All surgery can have complications-- infection, implant rejection, implant failure, stiffness.... All the things your surgeon has discussed with you.
Ed

Re: Hallux Rigidus

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/31/02 at 14:43 (104406)

Samantha:

Joint replacement surgery should be reserved for stage 4 hallux rigidus; stages 1 through 3 can be treated without that type of procedure.

There are a number of different types of joint 'implants' so the results, recovery and success rate will, in part, be related to the type of implant chosen. Your surgeon should explain the differences between the different implants and why he/she is chosing the particular one for you.

All surgery can have complications-- infection, implant rejection, implant failure, stiffness.... All the things your surgeon has discussed with you.
Ed