Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bad Shoes Make My Feet Feel Better

Posted by Barb on 12/30/02 at 15:39 (104311)

I have had the typical symptoms of PF going on 6 months. The cause, without a doubt, was an increase in the amount of activity I was doing in a short period of time + bad shoes. I upgraded my shoes to a pair recommended by a running store in the area. My primary care physician and PT have pursued a very conservative course of treatment - rest, taping, motrin, etc. The PT also made me orthotics for my shoes. I've seen only minimal improvements. Here's what happened during the holidays: I had a number of holiday get-togethers to go to and didn't want to go in my big old white shoes. I wore some very plain Easy Spirit shoes, with just a Dr. Schol's insert. After being on my feet one evening for 3+ hours (no place to sit at this party), I noted that my feet felt great (and, I was not drinking!). I went back to my 'good' shoes after the holidays and I started having pain again. I've now been back in the old Easy Spirits for 3 days, had no pain for two days and just a little bit today. Does any one know what could be going on? Is it possible to not need 'good' shoes? Could the 'good' shoes be part of the problem? Thanks.

Re: Bad Shoes Make My Feet Feel Better

marie e on 12/30/02 at 16:26 (104318)

I like Easy Spirit shoes also. They work well for me...my custom orthotics did not help at all. I find that after about 6 weeks I need new ones. I think it's the soft cusshion. I have tts and pf. I have just ordered some birkenstock shoes. I will let you know if I like them.

Pauline on 12/30/02 at 20:04 (104340)

I've personally noticed from my time on the board that not all P.F. sufferers require the same things in the way of footware. Not all of use can use orthotics either.

My advice would be to listen to your feet and wear what is comfortable. Like me and perhaps others here you may find your needs change from time to time and that's ok. You just switch to another shoe that provides the you with support and comfort.

Most of us have tried many different things in the way of footwear.

Leon S. on 1/01/03 at 12:10 (104456)

For what it's worth, I found that the recommended taping regimen, which I started last week (thanks to suggestions from John) have enabled me to start going back to some shoes that I haven't been able to wear in a while without any noticeable discomfort. I even had a successful day skiing without any residual aftereffects.

marie e on 12/30/02 at 16:26 (104318)

I like Easy Spirit shoes also. They work well for me...my custom orthotics did not help at all. I find that after about 6 weeks I need new ones. I think it's the soft cusshion. I have tts and pf. I have just ordered some birkenstock shoes. I will let you know if I like them.

Pauline on 12/30/02 at 20:04 (104340)

I've personally noticed from my time on the board that not all P.F. sufferers require the same things in the way of footware. Not all of use can use orthotics either.

My advice would be to listen to your feet and wear what is comfortable. Like me and perhaps others here you may find your needs change from time to time and that's ok. You just switch to another shoe that provides the you with support and comfort.

Most of us have tried many different things in the way of footwear.

Leon S. on 1/01/03 at 12:10 (104456)

For what it's worth, I found that the recommended taping regimen, which I started last week (thanks to suggestions from John) have enabled me to start going back to some shoes that I haven't been able to wear in a while without any noticeable discomfort. I even had a successful day skiing without any residual aftereffects.