Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

television: does anyone do without?

Posted by nancy s. on 12/31/02 at 05:34 (104362)

hi folks: we arrived home from the belated family christmas gathering on saturday to find that time-warner had cut off our cable television, which meant that we had only static, for every station. what a SHOCK! what a good shock!

they did this because our payment, which is rarely late, was late this time (though we did send it); we learned that only after calling on saturday to complain about the cable cut-off, and then we found a notice dated december 17, postmarked december 19, that we believe arrived on december 24 but had not opened yet. the notice said that they'd cut us off on the 28th and that we'd have to pay extra charges: some $20 charge and a $45 charge for re-hook-up.

well we were pissed off, excuse me! i called them right back and said this is a lousy way to treat a customer and we don't want their cable anymore. (these people clearly need some competition.)

immediately we felt this odd sense of liberation. we moved the tv/vcr around the corner from the living room into a corner in the kitchen, to be brought out only when we rent a movie. we replaced it with the cd/stereo system from the upstairs den. for the past two nights we've spent our evenings talking, reading, and listening to music in the living room. (my husband went to the nearby laundromat to watch the patriots game on sunday!) we're about to set up an area in there to do artwork, which we both did for a long time in the past but it has fallen by the wayside.

i watched some good stuff on cable tv, and i'll miss those programs. but we ended up watching a lot of junk, too, just because it was there and it was easy. going without feels so different and un-numbing.

the cable company will probably call and offer us some good-deal package to get us back on board, and what i'm wondering is this: does anyone else go completely without tv, and have you found that life continues to feel better without it? does anyone have any thoughts about whether to give in if the cable company calls? are we fooling ourselves in this day and age to think we can continue to go happily without?

mostly i will miss A&E biography, a few movies, the weather channel, 'extreme homes' on HGTV, and some CNN news; and it'll be a challenge to pass up red sox games in the season -- though, really, we watched way too many hours of them!

seems like the computer, rental or library movies, and reading can make up for most of those.

if anyone lives like this, i'd really appreciate hearing from you.

thank you, from nancy woken up by the noisy garbage truck at 3:52 a.m.

Re: television: does anyone do without?

Carole C in NOLA on 12/31/02 at 07:06 (104365)

I haven't had a TV during most of my adult life. At first I was just trying to save money when I was getting started in life. I discovered that I liked not having TV, and so I purposely did not get a TV later when I could afford one. I found that the leisure time available to me was MUCH greater with no TV.

A great deal of my TV time ends up being wasted in looking for a good show or 'being condemned' to watch something I don't care for while I'm waiting for a good show to come on. Isn't it better to free oneself? Without a TV I found that all this time and much more became filled with things that I actually enjoy doing.

After the initial withdrawal I was very comfortable with no TV. I did miss CNN and the Weather Channel sometimes, but by the 1990's I was online and could bookmark the URL's necessary to get this information. I didn't really rent movies, but spent more time reading, online, and doing other things that I enjoy doing. It's amazing how much more time you have. Life does continue to feel better without TV. One nice aspect of it is that saying 'I don't have TV' puts an end to inane conversations with co-workers and friends about stupid shows and promotes more interesting conversations. You truly ARE liberated from watching the junk that you really don't want to watch, which can become such a bad habit. You are free to do things you really enjoy doing. Not having a TV for a while can drive that home and if it's long enough, it can even improve life after you get a TV once again. Every minute of your time is valuable and will only be yours once, so why waste it?

My last period without a TV was about ten years in duration. It ended when I got cable modem, because the local cable company would give me $10/month off if I had TV also, and the cheapest bare bones cable was $11.50... so I decided that the net cost of $1.50/month was worth it just for the weather channel, if nothing else. I bought the cheapest 19' TV I could find and watched it about an hour or two a week for a couple of years.

Then, last summer I decided that I needed some pampering and had some extra money. I wondered what a larger TV would be like, so I bought a 30' Sony TV and a nifty progressive scan DVD player. Now, I watch TV much more than before, mostly because the picture is beautiful and amazing to me. Probably the novelty will wear off? I don't know.

Right now I watch the Home and Garden channel a lot, plus the news channels, weather channel, history channel, CourtTV, biography channel... but curiously I don't watch movies or drama much at all unless I am flipping channels and one SUCKS me in. That doesn't happen too often, though. I almost never use my nifty new DVD player. I don't seem to have a need to watch this type of fictional material very much any more. Actually, the only show whose time I can remember is America's Most Wanted, and I usually don't watch all of it. I'd so much rather watch Martha Stewart re-potting her house plants.

Carole C

pala on 12/31/02 at 08:57 (104372)

larry and i have tried unsccesfully, many times, to give up the tv habit. good for you!! i'll keep you posted on the most important news. the cows are still occupying and liberating my home. the weather is all screwed up from global warming and the politics have broken this liberal's heart. you are not missing much. where is frodo when we need him?

Nancy N on 12/31/02 at 10:19 (104378)

When I lived in Ireland, my family had no TV. 'Dad' refused to buy one, much to the consternation of the kids. All the adults knew it was because 'Dad' had an addictive personality and knew he wouldn't be able to stop watching the box. It was interesting to watch the kids, though--if we went to visit someone with a TV, that was all they wanted to do. They'd go next door to visit, but we all knew it was because they had a TV. Same with a lot of their friends.

It took me a while to get used to it, though it wasn't too bad, probably because I was adjusting to so many other things at one time. I don't remember too much adjustment when I came back, either, but I may have been like the kids by then--glued to what I hadn't seen in so long. (And I also remember thinking how strange it was that every time I was around a TV in Ireland, it would be on something like Friends or ER!)

wendyn on 12/31/02 at 10:41 (104386)

Carole, if I had to give up one thing in my house - it would be my TV. When I'm busy, I can go weeks or even months without watching anything. You're right - once you get used to it, you don't miss it at all.

My family would have a FIT if I tried to get rid of the TVs though.

I've been off for almost 2 weeks, and I have enjoyed laying around and doing little more than watching TV or movies. It's amazing how much time you can waste laying on the couch.

Richard, C.Ped on 12/31/02 at 11:47 (104395)

We gave up cable just before our daughter was born to cut costs where we could. I really missed HGTV for awhile there, but it kept me from going down to Lowe's and spending to much money.

Now, we will have the tv on, but we are pretty much just watching our daughter play for entertainment.

Richard

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/31/02 at 14:52 (104407)

Nancy:

I have barely watched TV in years. My kids watch movies on tape or DVD.

Once you have done without it for a while you will be able to appreciate what you have been missing and could have been better doing with your time.
Ed

marie e on 12/31/02 at 20:20 (104425)

I think your right.....but it's easier said then done. Many of our families fondest memories have been while we are watching tv. We have a favorite show or two that we all love. No matter how busy we all are we all seem to make time for that show during the week. It's easy because the time is set we don't have to schedule it, organize it, plan it or make alot of effort to do it. Maybe a little popcorn. My oldest son is a freshmen in college. He saids he really misses Monday nights and Boston Public...he told me he didn't miss the show (he doesn't have a tv in his dorm room) as much as the fun and time we spend together as a family. Well he does miss Jeri Ryan.....but that's another story. As with anything moderation is best but don't write off something you love to do.

later

linda on 12/31/02 at 21:45 (104427)

hello nancy ! i do w/o cable for years since i moved out of parents house . i just can't afford it and it would be a waste since i am not in the house long enough to enjoy it . i do watch regular TV at night time . Love CSI , JAG (harm), and old reruns sienfield . since i have a problem w/insomnia i often scan KET channel ( suzanne would know that educational channel in KY) to see what interesting program that is on at 3 am . my sister who has children kicked the cable habit when started to have financial problems . now the kids just just play their disney dvd/vcr movies , read books , play games , and enjoy the fresh outdoors . now when i'm at work i do get to watch the history channel while hooking up my patients in sleep center . linda (ky)

linda on 12/31/02 at 21:48 (104430)

sorry for triple posting .linda

john h on 1/01/03 at 09:54 (104450)

Nancy you do have an option in Direct TV (14' satillete dish). They offer free installation and I think two receivers for $100. there monthly fee is competitive with cable and you have hundreds of channels in digital quality.

john h on 1/01/03 at 09:57 (104451)

Carole: TV is a must for a guy as what would we do withou the NFL, MlB, NHL, NBA, NASCAR and for the real men the WWF A couch, beer, and a wife nagging you to mow the yard is also required.

john h on 1/01/03 at 10:02 (104452)

Of course I clearly remember when there was no TV so i could not miss it. Radio could really stir you immagination but we mostly spent all our time outdoors playing cowboy, doctor, or roaming the hillsides. A year in Iceland, 2 years in Vietnam and we had no TV but had other thing to think aout,

Jan H on 1/01/03 at 14:59 (104468)

I have DirectV satallite, last week, suddenly we had no signal for any station, nothing, nada. We live in the real boondocks where cable is not available, and without directv we have nothing, my vcr doesn't even work, so we are listening to the radio and internet while waiting for our new Dish (dishnetwork) to arrive Thursday.

nancy s. on 1/01/03 at 16:41 (104478)

gee, i don't know about a satellite dish. we haven't looked into it and probably won't, because . . . i cannot tell you how much more we're enjoying life without the tv! i feel like i'm coming off a drug, and at the same time it's making me high. so much more is being fit into each day, without stress/pressure; my thoughts feel long and complete; i'm becoming un-numbed. it really is a great feeling.

i was never an actual tv addict, until pf etc hit. It became a habit, and i couldn't break it even as my ability to participate in life again increased. so today i am silently thanking the cable company for being nasty -- they did us a huge favor.

i've been enjoying everyone's thoughts on this immensely. thank you!

nancy

nancy s. on 1/01/03 at 19:15 (104489)

um, wendy, did you answer carole's post here instead of mine preceding hers because you were reading in reverse order?

wendyn on 1/01/03 at 20:40 (104497)

Yes Nancy - that is exactly what happened! I saw Carole's post about the TV watching, so I responded to that. Later I saw that this was initially a thread you started.

I am not going to stop using the reverse button unless Scott takes it away. I can't, it's too much of a habit now.

Nancy N on 1/01/03 at 21:34 (104507)

Actually, looking back at what I wrote, I completely forgot to mention that without a TV, we all READ an awful lot more! And I had email, but this was back in late 95/early 96 when email and the web were just catching on. We had no web and I didn't even know what it was at that point. So a lot of reading... and a lot of writing. And just generally goofing around playing games or tickling kids or whatever. And the house was usually pretty quiet, too, now that I think about it! (Well, aside from the goofing around and tickling kids part!)

Truth be told, I haven't watched nearly as much TV since 9/11. It took me at least a month before I could turn the TV on for anything other than the weather, because everything else that was on just seemed so unimportant and insipid. I nearly cancelled my cable, but since the things I do watch now are on cable channels and not networks, with the exception of The West Wing, I'm glad I didn't. I'm afraid I've gone from almost no TV to being addicted to Buffy the Vampire Slayer (I blame m best friend for this new affliction), and since FX shows 2 reruns per night, that ends up being almost all I watch--after two straight hours of TV, I'm too tired to watch anything more.

nancy s. on 1/01/03 at 21:46 (104509)

nancy, i was always very irritated when i expected to find 'the practice' reruns on fx and found buffy instead! to each her own, eh?

tonight we worked on the house, listened to my favorite puccini opera arias sung by leontyne price, and watched a big fire burn in our franklin stove. oh yeah, i also ran over to the corner store and nearly killed myself on glare ice from freezing rain that i didn't know had fallen from the sky.

the other nancy

nancy s. on 1/01/03 at 21:48 (104510)

i know you can't stop, wendy. i wonder if there's a support group for 'reverse order' addictees? you might be the only one in it, though!

you know i'm teasing -- i can't seem to stop that, either!

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/02/03 at 08:14 (104532)

What a great post. I have only one thing to say in response, which is that I truly love being single even if I do have to mow my own yard! (grin)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/02/03 at 08:50 (104536)

Interesting thread, Nancy. And 'more power to you', as my mother used to say, in your enjoyment of things in place of the t.v.

I have never been one to enjoy lots of television watching although I have had favorite shows which I enjoyed. My daughters and I used to make the time to watch 'Ann of Avonlea' together. More recently, we would watch 'Touched by an Angel' whenever possible. And my all time favorite, which can always relax me, is 'The Andy Griffith Show'.

My husband is the opposite: he comes in and turns on the t.v. This used to really grate on my nerves after a day in the classroom when I wanted some nice quietness. However, I finally came to the realization that for him, the noise and distraction was an escape and a way for him of winding down. He watches the news and old westerns and the history channel and sometimes just flips channels. It helped when we converted our garage into a family room seven years ago. I can go to the living room where there is a piano and organ and play or just sit in the quietness. When I do sit in the family room with the t.v. on, I nearly always have something to do with my hands like making a bracelet or making something for school.

If it were up to me, I would just turn on the t.v. for special programs. But I try to realize everyone's not like me (What a relief for the rest of the world!) :-) and give others the respect to choose. One daughter is like me and hardly ever chooses to watch, the other could sit for hours in front of the t.v., and I have limited it for her (mother's perogative!). I let her choose favorites and plan around them but not just come in and turn it on and just watch whatever comes next.

As a child, I remember The Mickey Mouse Club, Captain Kangaroo, Andy Griffith, Dick Van Dyke, Ed Sullivan, Lawrence Welk (my mother's favorite), Hee Haw (my father's favorite) Chet Huntley and David Brinkley on the news, 'Lost in Space' and later Walter Cronkite with his reports of the Vietnam War every night. With three channels and no remote, it was unimaginable to think of the choices available today!

Suzanne :-)

john h on 1/02/03 at 11:08 (104554)

Jan: Did you run the self test on your Direct. It test signal strength, phone connection, card, and all the other things needed to receive a signal.Just use your remote and it will do it all. When I have lost a signal it has usually been because of a faulty connection like at the antenna,direct box or anywhere you have connections in between. The connectors can develop rust causing you to lose signal and a completly lost signal souds like a bad connection.

wendyn on 1/02/03 at 11:09 (104555)

That's okay Nancy, I have a number of strange 'habits' that will never go away. I'm quite happy with them...and like I said - for some reason this whole reading backwards seems to make so much sense to me.

Necee on 1/02/03 at 13:11 (104578)

Nancy,

I have a tv, but no cable. My husband and I usually watch informative shows like... Dateline, 20/20, 60 minutes, etc. We find many of the shows to be rather offensive, so we just refrain from watching them.
In my opinion, seems like theres really nothing worth watching on TV anymore. I miss the old shows like, Red Skelton, Carole Burnett, The Waltons, etc.
Nancy, I bet you will enjoy life without tv. Just think of the time you can spend hanging out with your hubby, family and friends, or reading a good book instead of being glued to the tv.

Happy trails...

Necee

JudyS on 1/02/03 at 13:37 (104586)

Nancy S - the thing that surprises me about all of these 'service' companies is that Customer Service has been completely eliminated. They forget (and sometimes we do too) that WE'RE the ones giving them money! So you'd think, that after a year, or twenty, of consistent service and payment, they'd be a little more flexible.
When our kids were home, we had one 'energy-free' day a week. It meant, among other things, no TV for a whole evening. We actually had a very good time with it and the kids still remember it.
However, even though John and I watch very little TV these days, I couldn't possibly live without my cable because I couldn't possibly live without Harmon Rabb on Tuesday evenings........he's one of two very handsome jet-jockeys I adore :)

nancy s. on 1/02/03 at 18:44 (104628)

suzanne, you're right, the choices today were completely unimaginable back when we were watching the mickey mouse club and so on. i think that's one reason i'm not missing tv -- the choices are overwhelming and consume so much time, sort of like today's huge super-duper-supermarkets. just when i find one that has only 15 aisles and i can get around it in 40 minutes, it upgrades to one with 1,045 aisles and i can't get around it, period!

i'm with you -- i'd choose the room with the piano in it. happy music making.

nancy

nancy s. on 1/02/03 at 18:46 (104629)

wendy, are you left-handed? i do a lot of things backwards, because i am left-handed. and sometimes i read magazines backwards. but i can't read the board backwards, i don't know why. more power to you!
n.

nancy s. on 1/02/03 at 18:51 (104630)

necee, i miss those old shows, too. aside from the shows i mentioned in my first post, i have spent many hours over the last few years watching reruns of those old shows. nothing on today's tv can replace them. i still get hysterical when i think of carol burnett coming down the major staircase as scarlett o'hara, with curtain rods coming out of the shoulders of her dress, which was, of course, made from curtains by mammy.

you're right, though -- so far i'm enjoying tv-less-ness!

nancy

nancy s. on 1/02/03 at 18:55 (104631)

judy, i agree about customer service. they think they have you wrapped around their little finger and there's no way they can lose you. in some cases they are wrong, and this is one of them!

what else did your family do without on the energy-free day? i like that idea a lot.

nancy

pala on 1/02/03 at 19:20 (104637)

nancy the scientists at emory (yerkes primate center) taught a chimp to talk. words. thoiught i'd keep ya posted on interesting news. you write the rest of this in your head, assuming an old hippy like you is not a republican. (i don't want to upset the baord memebers)

wendyn on 1/02/03 at 19:26 (104638)

Nope Nancy - right handed.

nancy s. on 1/02/03 at 20:36 (104654)

thanks, paula -- i guess i'll take old news as well as new. or is this new? i'm completely disoriented, and so quickly. no, i'm not a republican, but i'm sure you knew that, you devil.
nancy

JudyS on 1/02/03 at 21:04 (104660)

Nancy - we did all the usual stuff - played games, read books by lantern, went for walks, roasted hot dogs in the fireplace....every week one member of the family was responsible for thinking up something to do.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/31/02 at 07:06 (104365)

I haven't had a TV during most of my adult life. At first I was just trying to save money when I was getting started in life. I discovered that I liked not having TV, and so I purposely did not get a TV later when I could afford one. I found that the leisure time available to me was MUCH greater with no TV.

A great deal of my TV time ends up being wasted in looking for a good show or 'being condemned' to watch something I don't care for while I'm waiting for a good show to come on. Isn't it better to free oneself? Without a TV I found that all this time and much more became filled with things that I actually enjoy doing.

After the initial withdrawal I was very comfortable with no TV. I did miss CNN and the Weather Channel sometimes, but by the 1990's I was online and could bookmark the URL's necessary to get this information. I didn't really rent movies, but spent more time reading, online, and doing other things that I enjoy doing. It's amazing how much more time you have. Life does continue to feel better without TV. One nice aspect of it is that saying 'I don't have TV' puts an end to inane conversations with co-workers and friends about stupid shows and promotes more interesting conversations. You truly ARE liberated from watching the junk that you really don't want to watch, which can become such a bad habit. You are free to do things you really enjoy doing. Not having a TV for a while can drive that home and if it's long enough, it can even improve life after you get a TV once again. Every minute of your time is valuable and will only be yours once, so why waste it?

My last period without a TV was about ten years in duration. It ended when I got cable modem, because the local cable company would give me $10/month off if I had TV also, and the cheapest bare bones cable was $11.50... so I decided that the net cost of $1.50/month was worth it just for the weather channel, if nothing else. I bought the cheapest 19' TV I could find and watched it about an hour or two a week for a couple of years.

Then, last summer I decided that I needed some pampering and had some extra money. I wondered what a larger TV would be like, so I bought a 30' Sony TV and a nifty progressive scan DVD player. Now, I watch TV much more than before, mostly because the picture is beautiful and amazing to me. Probably the novelty will wear off? I don't know.

Right now I watch the Home and Garden channel a lot, plus the news channels, weather channel, history channel, CourtTV, biography channel... but curiously I don't watch movies or drama much at all unless I am flipping channels and one SUCKS me in. That doesn't happen too often, though. I almost never use my nifty new DVD player. I don't seem to have a need to watch this type of fictional material very much any more. Actually, the only show whose time I can remember is America's Most Wanted, and I usually don't watch all of it. I'd so much rather watch Martha Stewart re-potting her house plants.

Carole C

pala on 12/31/02 at 08:57 (104372)

larry and i have tried unsccesfully, many times, to give up the tv habit. good for you!! i'll keep you posted on the most important news. the cows are still occupying and liberating my home. the weather is all screwed up from global warming and the politics have broken this liberal's heart. you are not missing much. where is frodo when we need him?

Nancy N on 12/31/02 at 10:19 (104378)

When I lived in Ireland, my family had no TV. 'Dad' refused to buy one, much to the consternation of the kids. All the adults knew it was because 'Dad' had an addictive personality and knew he wouldn't be able to stop watching the box. It was interesting to watch the kids, though--if we went to visit someone with a TV, that was all they wanted to do. They'd go next door to visit, but we all knew it was because they had a TV. Same with a lot of their friends.

It took me a while to get used to it, though it wasn't too bad, probably because I was adjusting to so many other things at one time. I don't remember too much adjustment when I came back, either, but I may have been like the kids by then--glued to what I hadn't seen in so long. (And I also remember thinking how strange it was that every time I was around a TV in Ireland, it would be on something like Friends or ER!)

wendyn on 12/31/02 at 10:41 (104386)

Carole, if I had to give up one thing in my house - it would be my TV. When I'm busy, I can go weeks or even months without watching anything. You're right - once you get used to it, you don't miss it at all.

My family would have a FIT if I tried to get rid of the TVs though.

I've been off for almost 2 weeks, and I have enjoyed laying around and doing little more than watching TV or movies. It's amazing how much time you can waste laying on the couch.

Richard, C.Ped on 12/31/02 at 11:47 (104395)

We gave up cable just before our daughter was born to cut costs where we could. I really missed HGTV for awhile there, but it kept me from going down to Lowe's and spending to much money.

Now, we will have the tv on, but we are pretty much just watching our daughter play for entertainment.

Richard

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/31/02 at 14:52 (104407)

Nancy:

I have barely watched TV in years. My kids watch movies on tape or DVD.

Once you have done without it for a while you will be able to appreciate what you have been missing and could have been better doing with your time.
Ed

marie e on 12/31/02 at 20:20 (104425)

I think your right.....but it's easier said then done. Many of our families fondest memories have been while we are watching tv. We have a favorite show or two that we all love. No matter how busy we all are we all seem to make time for that show during the week. It's easy because the time is set we don't have to schedule it, organize it, plan it or make alot of effort to do it. Maybe a little popcorn. My oldest son is a freshmen in college. He saids he really misses Monday nights and Boston Public...he told me he didn't miss the show (he doesn't have a tv in his dorm room) as much as the fun and time we spend together as a family. Well he does miss Jeri Ryan.....but that's another story. As with anything moderation is best but don't write off something you love to do.

later

linda on 12/31/02 at 21:45 (104427)

hello nancy ! i do w/o cable for years since i moved out of parents house . i just can't afford it and it would be a waste since i am not in the house long enough to enjoy it . i do watch regular TV at night time . Love CSI , JAG (harm), and old reruns sienfield . since i have a problem w/insomnia i often scan KET channel ( suzanne would know that educational channel in KY) to see what interesting program that is on at 3 am . my sister who has children kicked the cable habit when started to have financial problems . now the kids just just play their disney dvd/vcr movies , read books , play games , and enjoy the fresh outdoors . now when i'm at work i do get to watch the history channel while hooking up my patients in sleep center . linda (ky)

linda on 12/31/02 at 21:48 (104430)

sorry for triple posting .linda

john h on 1/01/03 at 09:54 (104450)

Nancy you do have an option in Direct TV (14' satillete dish). They offer free installation and I think two receivers for $100. there monthly fee is competitive with cable and you have hundreds of channels in digital quality.

john h on 1/01/03 at 09:57 (104451)

Carole: TV is a must for a guy as what would we do withou the NFL, MlB, NHL, NBA, NASCAR and for the real men the WWF A couch, beer, and a wife nagging you to mow the yard is also required.

john h on 1/01/03 at 10:02 (104452)

Of course I clearly remember when there was no TV so i could not miss it. Radio could really stir you immagination but we mostly spent all our time outdoors playing cowboy, doctor, or roaming the hillsides. A year in Iceland, 2 years in Vietnam and we had no TV but had other thing to think aout,

Jan H on 1/01/03 at 14:59 (104468)

I have DirectV satallite, last week, suddenly we had no signal for any station, nothing, nada. We live in the real boondocks where cable is not available, and without directv we have nothing, my vcr doesn't even work, so we are listening to the radio and internet while waiting for our new Dish (dishnetwork) to arrive Thursday.

nancy s. on 1/01/03 at 16:41 (104478)

gee, i don't know about a satellite dish. we haven't looked into it and probably won't, because . . . i cannot tell you how much more we're enjoying life without the tv! i feel like i'm coming off a drug, and at the same time it's making me high. so much more is being fit into each day, without stress/pressure; my thoughts feel long and complete; i'm becoming un-numbed. it really is a great feeling.

i was never an actual tv addict, until pf etc hit. It became a habit, and i couldn't break it even as my ability to participate in life again increased. so today i am silently thanking the cable company for being nasty -- they did us a huge favor.

i've been enjoying everyone's thoughts on this immensely. thank you!

nancy

nancy s. on 1/01/03 at 19:15 (104489)

um, wendy, did you answer carole's post here instead of mine preceding hers because you were reading in reverse order?

wendyn on 1/01/03 at 20:40 (104497)

Yes Nancy - that is exactly what happened! I saw Carole's post about the TV watching, so I responded to that. Later I saw that this was initially a thread you started.

I am not going to stop using the reverse button unless Scott takes it away. I can't, it's too much of a habit now.

Nancy N on 1/01/03 at 21:34 (104507)

Actually, looking back at what I wrote, I completely forgot to mention that without a TV, we all READ an awful lot more! And I had email, but this was back in late 95/early 96 when email and the web were just catching on. We had no web and I didn't even know what it was at that point. So a lot of reading... and a lot of writing. And just generally goofing around playing games or tickling kids or whatever. And the house was usually pretty quiet, too, now that I think about it! (Well, aside from the goofing around and tickling kids part!)

Truth be told, I haven't watched nearly as much TV since 9/11. It took me at least a month before I could turn the TV on for anything other than the weather, because everything else that was on just seemed so unimportant and insipid. I nearly cancelled my cable, but since the things I do watch now are on cable channels and not networks, with the exception of The West Wing, I'm glad I didn't. I'm afraid I've gone from almost no TV to being addicted to Buffy the Vampire Slayer (I blame m best friend for this new affliction), and since FX shows 2 reruns per night, that ends up being almost all I watch--after two straight hours of TV, I'm too tired to watch anything more.

nancy s. on 1/01/03 at 21:46 (104509)

nancy, i was always very irritated when i expected to find 'the practice' reruns on fx and found buffy instead! to each her own, eh?

tonight we worked on the house, listened to my favorite puccini opera arias sung by leontyne price, and watched a big fire burn in our franklin stove. oh yeah, i also ran over to the corner store and nearly killed myself on glare ice from freezing rain that i didn't know had fallen from the sky.

the other nancy

nancy s. on 1/01/03 at 21:48 (104510)

i know you can't stop, wendy. i wonder if there's a support group for 'reverse order' addictees? you might be the only one in it, though!

you know i'm teasing -- i can't seem to stop that, either!

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/02/03 at 08:14 (104532)

What a great post. I have only one thing to say in response, which is that I truly love being single even if I do have to mow my own yard! (grin)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/02/03 at 08:50 (104536)

Interesting thread, Nancy. And 'more power to you', as my mother used to say, in your enjoyment of things in place of the t.v.

I have never been one to enjoy lots of television watching although I have had favorite shows which I enjoyed. My daughters and I used to make the time to watch 'Ann of Avonlea' together. More recently, we would watch 'Touched by an Angel' whenever possible. And my all time favorite, which can always relax me, is 'The Andy Griffith Show'.

My husband is the opposite: he comes in and turns on the t.v. This used to really grate on my nerves after a day in the classroom when I wanted some nice quietness. However, I finally came to the realization that for him, the noise and distraction was an escape and a way for him of winding down. He watches the news and old westerns and the history channel and sometimes just flips channels. It helped when we converted our garage into a family room seven years ago. I can go to the living room where there is a piano and organ and play or just sit in the quietness. When I do sit in the family room with the t.v. on, I nearly always have something to do with my hands like making a bracelet or making something for school.

If it were up to me, I would just turn on the t.v. for special programs. But I try to realize everyone's not like me (What a relief for the rest of the world!) :-) and give others the respect to choose. One daughter is like me and hardly ever chooses to watch, the other could sit for hours in front of the t.v., and I have limited it for her (mother's perogative!). I let her choose favorites and plan around them but not just come in and turn it on and just watch whatever comes next.

As a child, I remember The Mickey Mouse Club, Captain Kangaroo, Andy Griffith, Dick Van Dyke, Ed Sullivan, Lawrence Welk (my mother's favorite), Hee Haw (my father's favorite) Chet Huntley and David Brinkley on the news, 'Lost in Space' and later Walter Cronkite with his reports of the Vietnam War every night. With three channels and no remote, it was unimaginable to think of the choices available today!

Suzanne :-)

john h on 1/02/03 at 11:08 (104554)

Jan: Did you run the self test on your Direct. It test signal strength, phone connection, card, and all the other things needed to receive a signal.Just use your remote and it will do it all. When I have lost a signal it has usually been because of a faulty connection like at the antenna,direct box or anywhere you have connections in between. The connectors can develop rust causing you to lose signal and a completly lost signal souds like a bad connection.

wendyn on 1/02/03 at 11:09 (104555)

That's okay Nancy, I have a number of strange 'habits' that will never go away. I'm quite happy with them...and like I said - for some reason this whole reading backwards seems to make so much sense to me.

Necee on 1/02/03 at 13:11 (104578)

Nancy,

I have a tv, but no cable. My husband and I usually watch informative shows like... Dateline, 20/20, 60 minutes, etc. We find many of the shows to be rather offensive, so we just refrain from watching them.
In my opinion, seems like theres really nothing worth watching on TV anymore. I miss the old shows like, Red Skelton, Carole Burnett, The Waltons, etc.
Nancy, I bet you will enjoy life without tv. Just think of the time you can spend hanging out with your hubby, family and friends, or reading a good book instead of being glued to the tv.

Happy trails...

Necee

JudyS on 1/02/03 at 13:37 (104586)

Nancy S - the thing that surprises me about all of these 'service' companies is that Customer Service has been completely eliminated. They forget (and sometimes we do too) that WE'RE the ones giving them money! So you'd think, that after a year, or twenty, of consistent service and payment, they'd be a little more flexible.
When our kids were home, we had one 'energy-free' day a week. It meant, among other things, no TV for a whole evening. We actually had a very good time with it and the kids still remember it.
However, even though John and I watch very little TV these days, I couldn't possibly live without my cable because I couldn't possibly live without Harmon Rabb on Tuesday evenings........he's one of two very handsome jet-jockeys I adore :)

nancy s. on 1/02/03 at 18:44 (104628)

suzanne, you're right, the choices today were completely unimaginable back when we were watching the mickey mouse club and so on. i think that's one reason i'm not missing tv -- the choices are overwhelming and consume so much time, sort of like today's huge super-duper-supermarkets. just when i find one that has only 15 aisles and i can get around it in 40 minutes, it upgrades to one with 1,045 aisles and i can't get around it, period!

i'm with you -- i'd choose the room with the piano in it. happy music making.

nancy

nancy s. on 1/02/03 at 18:46 (104629)

wendy, are you left-handed? i do a lot of things backwards, because i am left-handed. and sometimes i read magazines backwards. but i can't read the board backwards, i don't know why. more power to you!
n.

nancy s. on 1/02/03 at 18:51 (104630)

necee, i miss those old shows, too. aside from the shows i mentioned in my first post, i have spent many hours over the last few years watching reruns of those old shows. nothing on today's tv can replace them. i still get hysterical when i think of carol burnett coming down the major staircase as scarlett o'hara, with curtain rods coming out of the shoulders of her dress, which was, of course, made from curtains by mammy.

you're right, though -- so far i'm enjoying tv-less-ness!

nancy

nancy s. on 1/02/03 at 18:55 (104631)

judy, i agree about customer service. they think they have you wrapped around their little finger and there's no way they can lose you. in some cases they are wrong, and this is one of them!

what else did your family do without on the energy-free day? i like that idea a lot.

nancy

pala on 1/02/03 at 19:20 (104637)

nancy the scientists at emory (yerkes primate center) taught a chimp to talk. words. thoiught i'd keep ya posted on interesting news. you write the rest of this in your head, assuming an old hippy like you is not a republican. (i don't want to upset the baord memebers)

wendyn on 1/02/03 at 19:26 (104638)

Nope Nancy - right handed.

nancy s. on 1/02/03 at 20:36 (104654)

thanks, paula -- i guess i'll take old news as well as new. or is this new? i'm completely disoriented, and so quickly. no, i'm not a republican, but i'm sure you knew that, you devil.
nancy

JudyS on 1/02/03 at 21:04 (104660)

Nancy - we did all the usual stuff - played games, read books by lantern, went for walks, roasted hot dogs in the fireplace....every week one member of the family was responsible for thinking up something to do.