Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Duration of PF vs. Duration of Recovery

Posted by Julie C. on 12/31/02 at 10:18 (104377)

Have those of you that have been doing the ESWT awhile seen any kind of correlation between the length of time a person has had PF and the amount of time or number of treatments it takes to be 'cured'? I had my first treatment 12/10 (left foot only) after having PF off and on for 7+ years with the last year being pretty substantial. Even after being off of it for over a week, I worked an 8-hour shift in the OR last night and the pain level was pretty high when I was done and my morning pain was increased from the last two weeks. I understand I need to give this 12 weeks from 12/10 to declare success/failure but are there correlations per above question?

Thanks, Julie C.

Re: Duration of PF vs. Duration of Recovery

Dr. Z on 12/31/02 at 19:22 (104421)

That is a good question. We do know that chronic works better then acute with the current treatment protocols. There are articles that address this issue but I will have to check on the lenght of average time if in fact they are given. Will check this out. But in general chronic is better then acute. What we need to determine is specific durations of pf and results.

Rules to help you
1. Rest ( tough)
2. No walking without shoes even the shower
3. Stretching ( against the wall)
4. I like to use nsaid but that is my opinion.
4. Hot soaks. or contrast baths. Hot/Cold/Hot

Julie C. on 1/01/03 at 21:26 (104506)

Dr. Z,

Okay....so I know there are clinical definitions for chronic vs. acute PF; but in the same way that a person with COPD can be acutely ill with bronchitis can a person with chronic PF also have it acutely?? I guess I am thinking pain level as well. Would a person with a pain level of 6 out of 10 several days a week have a better response to treatment than a person with a 9 or 10 out of 10 almost every day? Additional questions: 1) how does one wear shoes in the shower? 2) I have been told by both my pod and my chiropractor to ice it but you say hot soaks. Please explain.

Thanks,
Julie C.

nancy s. on 1/01/03 at 22:20 (104513)

hi julie: i'm not a doctor but just wanted to recommend that you buy a pair of shower shoes or firm, thick-soled rubber sandals to wear in the shower. most large shoe stores carry these items, and wearing them really does help prevent further foot damage.

nancy

dave r on 1/02/03 at 08:14 (104533)

I wear sandals in the shower. They work pretty good. I dont go anywhere without them...

Dr. Z on 12/31/02 at 19:22 (104421)

That is a good question. We do know that chronic works better then acute with the current treatment protocols. There are articles that address this issue but I will have to check on the lenght of average time if in fact they are given. Will check this out. But in general chronic is better then acute. What we need to determine is specific durations of pf and results.

Rules to help you
1. Rest ( tough)
2. No walking without shoes even the shower
3. Stretching ( against the wall)
4. I like to use nsaid but that is my opinion.
4. Hot soaks. or contrast baths. Hot/Cold/Hot

Julie C. on 1/01/03 at 21:26 (104506)

Dr. Z,

Okay....so I know there are clinical definitions for chronic vs. acute PF; but in the same way that a person with COPD can be acutely ill with bronchitis can a person with chronic PF also have it acutely?? I guess I am thinking pain level as well. Would a person with a pain level of 6 out of 10 several days a week have a better response to treatment than a person with a 9 or 10 out of 10 almost every day? Additional questions: 1) how does one wear shoes in the shower? 2) I have been told by both my pod and my chiropractor to ice it but you say hot soaks. Please explain.

Thanks,
Julie C.

nancy s. on 1/01/03 at 22:20 (104513)

hi julie: i'm not a doctor but just wanted to recommend that you buy a pair of shower shoes or firm, thick-soled rubber sandals to wear in the shower. most large shoe stores carry these items, and wearing them really does help prevent further foot damage.

nancy

dave r on 1/02/03 at 08:14 (104533)

I wear sandals in the shower. They work pretty good. I dont go anywhere without them...