Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS post surgery

Posted by jamie k on 12/31/02 at 12:04 (104396)

Hi,
I just found your web site and was astonished to read about people having the same problems as myself.

I had TTS surgery and PF relief surgery in September. Two months after my surgery, I was still experiencing much pain around the incision area, plus swelling. My podiatrist sent me for physical therapy which really made the pain and swelling disappear. I was finally 'pain free' after battling with this for over 3 years. Then one day after almost three months went by, I woke up and the foot I had surgery on (left foot), the ball of my foot, mostly on the left side around to the incision was numb. I have a pulling sensation near the start of my incision which is about 5 inches long. Two of my toes (the smallest ones) are numb also. I went back to the podiatrist and she feels it might be either permenant nerve damage or more scare tissue. I am not convinced that this is the problem. She also wants to refer me to a neurologist. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations.

My symptoms started about 3 years ago, mostly my left foot. First only when I crawled out of bed in the mornings, then it got progressively worse, pain standing, pain walking, etc. I was positive (for TTS) in both legs/ankles when my podiatrist ordered the nerve relay testing; however, since my pain was mostly in my left foot I opted to have surgery first with that foot and then depending on its success try the right, but forget it.

Sorry to be so long winded. Jamie

Re: TTS post surgery

wendyn on 12/31/02 at 13:47 (104402)

jamie - don't worry about being long winded, there is no such thing here!

Unfortunately, you aren't the first person here with that experience, there seems to be too many. For some the surgery works great, it really depends on what was wrong with the foot in the first place.

Do you know what the doctor found when they operated the first time? Was there something causing a problem in the tunnel that they fixed?

Sharon W on 12/31/02 at 14:17 (104403)

Sure sounds like scar tissue to me (but I am not a doctor). A number of people posting on these boards have described a similar pulling feeling near the incision, and it has turned out to be scar tissue. Scar tissue problems, if they are going to occur, often show their ugly faces (for the first time) between 2 and 5 months after surgery.

If you do have scar tissue, there are things that a good doctor can do about it, but the problem needs to be treated AGGRESSIVELY, and it needs to be done RIGHT AWAY. Your Dr. can inject the scarred area with steroids (Dr. Ed frequently recommends a steroid called Kenalog). Dr. Ed also likes to use something called Wydase, which has been used by plastic surgeons to dissolve scar tissue (unfortunately, it must be specially formulated by a pharmacy). The other thing your doctor could do for you, right now, is send you back to physical therapy.

Therapeutic ultrasound can help to break up scar tissue, and that is done by a physical therapist. A physical therapist can also get you busy doing exercises that will help maintain/recover mobility in your foot and ankle. And if the therapist is skilled in deep tissue massage, that can be helpful as well.

Sharon

jamie k on 1/06/03 at 08:51 (104947)

Thanks for the good information. My Doc told me that there was much tissue around the nerve which was constricting it and I believe a tendon.

Jamie

wendyn on 12/31/02 at 13:47 (104402)

jamie - don't worry about being long winded, there is no such thing here!

Unfortunately, you aren't the first person here with that experience, there seems to be too many. For some the surgery works great, it really depends on what was wrong with the foot in the first place.

Do you know what the doctor found when they operated the first time? Was there something causing a problem in the tunnel that they fixed?

Sharon W on 12/31/02 at 14:17 (104403)

Sure sounds like scar tissue to me (but I am not a doctor). A number of people posting on these boards have described a similar pulling feeling near the incision, and it has turned out to be scar tissue. Scar tissue problems, if they are going to occur, often show their ugly faces (for the first time) between 2 and 5 months after surgery.

If you do have scar tissue, there are things that a good doctor can do about it, but the problem needs to be treated AGGRESSIVELY, and it needs to be done RIGHT AWAY. Your Dr. can inject the scarred area with steroids (Dr. Ed frequently recommends a steroid called Kenalog). Dr. Ed also likes to use something called Wydase, which has been used by plastic surgeons to dissolve scar tissue (unfortunately, it must be specially formulated by a pharmacy). The other thing your doctor could do for you, right now, is send you back to physical therapy.

Therapeutic ultrasound can help to break up scar tissue, and that is done by a physical therapist. A physical therapist can also get you busy doing exercises that will help maintain/recover mobility in your foot and ankle. And if the therapist is skilled in deep tissue massage, that can be helpful as well.

Sharon

jamie k on 1/06/03 at 08:51 (104947)

Thanks for the good information. My Doc told me that there was much tissue around the nerve which was constricting it and I believe a tendon.

Jamie