Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Do I have Tarsal Tunnel?

Posted by Andrew D. on 12/31/02 at 17:58 (104416)

In 1983, a spot the size of a dime started itching at the rear of the instep near the heel on my right foot. It's been itching ever since. It never changes shape, size, color, etc. There is no pain, but it itches like crazy in a come and go pattern about every hour. The only way to stop it from itching is intense scratching for about five minutes. I'm up scratching the foot up to ten times a night. I haven't slept over four hours a night in almost twenty years, I'm exhausted from it, and I'm out of options. It's been diagnosed as everything you can imagine---except Tarsal Tunnel. It's been treated with everything you can imagine---except Tarsal Tunnel surgery. And just today, I saw a neurologist who diagnosed it as Tarsal Tunnel. I said, 'What the hell is that?' Then he explained it, and I got on the Web and found mountains of stuff on this Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome. It has never been diagnosed as TTS. Like I said, NO PAIN, just sore to the touch, stinging and burning when you mash on the area, and constant itching. The neurologist thinks it's TTS. An EMG and an MRI show no problems. Do I have Tarsal Tunnel? Or, does anyone have any input on this? Thanks.

Re: Do I have Tarsal Tunnel?

wendyn on 12/31/02 at 18:43 (104418)

I have never heard of Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome causing itching.

RUSSELL F on 1/04/03 at 01:30 (104777)

NOT BY A LONG SHOT IS ITCHING RELATED TO TTS!!!!!

Donna H on 1/04/03 at 02:13 (104779)

NO WAY is TTS related to the itchy lesion!!! Even if it does not change color, size, etc..., I would STILL change drs or @ least get a 2nd opinion; not to scare you, but could be anything from eczema to skin cancer. PLEASE get it biopsied asap. A punch biopsy is very quick, and you heal rapidly from it. For the itching, ask your dr to prescribe zonalon cream (its 5 % doxepin) or oral medication. At least u may get a little more sleep. GL.

wendyn on 12/31/02 at 18:43 (104418)

I have never heard of Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome causing itching.

RUSSELL F on 1/04/03 at 01:30 (104777)

NOT BY A LONG SHOT IS ITCHING RELATED TO TTS!!!!!

Donna H on 1/04/03 at 02:13 (104779)

NO WAY is TTS related to the itchy lesion!!! Even if it does not change color, size, etc..., I would STILL change drs or @ least get a 2nd opinion; not to scare you, but could be anything from eczema to skin cancer. PLEASE get it biopsied asap. A punch biopsy is very quick, and you heal rapidly from it. For the itching, ask your dr to prescribe zonalon cream (its 5 % doxepin) or oral medication. At least u may get a little more sleep. GL.