Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel pain

Posted by Barbara A on 12/31/02 at 20:58 (104426)

I have been experiencing mild to moderate heel pain for the past 4 months. As an aerobics' instructor, I find the pain to be more pronounced after teaching certain classes, in particular, step classes. While instructing a low impact class today, when I stepped out with my right foot in a grapevine pattern, the inside back portion of the foot felt like something snapped. It has been more painful ever since. At the recommendation of a podiatrist, I started taking Aleve (double doses twice a day) for 10 day periods. I did get relief as it obviously reduced the inflammation, but I am concerned about the sensation I experienced earlier today. I talked with my podiatrist and he said I probably burst the bursa. What exactly does that mean? He requested that I go back on the Aleve and that I consider cortisone injections if I don't get relief.

Re: heel pain

Dr. Z on 1/01/03 at 08:42 (104437)

The bursa is a fluid sac on the bottom and anywhere a tendon attaches near a bone. You need at least heel cups to reduce the impact that your foot is going thru. Aerobic is very bad for a healing foot. So beside the aleve, steriod shots a plastic heel cup is very helpfu at this stage. Don't just hope and pray that everything is going to be find . Early aggressive treatment prevent chronic heel pain

Mike T on 1/01/03 at 13:19 (104461)

Hi,
I was wondering if a good pair or running shoes with arch supports is better than a good pair of (dress/work) walking shoes with supports. I'm on my feet all day in retail. Thanks Mike

Dr. Z on 1/01/03 at 18:37 (104485)

This is an interesting questions. Any shoe that has a good arch support and a flexible forefoot and heel is a good shoe. I like Johnson-Murphy.
Church's Shoes

Dr. Z on 1/01/03 at 08:42 (104437)

The bursa is a fluid sac on the bottom and anywhere a tendon attaches near a bone. You need at least heel cups to reduce the impact that your foot is going thru. Aerobic is very bad for a healing foot. So beside the aleve, steriod shots a plastic heel cup is very helpfu at this stage. Don't just hope and pray that everything is going to be find . Early aggressive treatment prevent chronic heel pain

Mike T on 1/01/03 at 13:19 (104461)

Hi,
I was wondering if a good pair or running shoes with arch supports is better than a good pair of (dress/work) walking shoes with supports. I'm on my feet all day in retail. Thanks Mike

Dr. Z on 1/01/03 at 18:37 (104485)

This is an interesting questions. Any shoe that has a good arch support and a flexible forefoot and heel is a good shoe. I like Johnson-Murphy.
Church's Shoes