Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

If you got this MRI result, what would you recomend?

Posted by Jan H on 1/01/03 at 14:52 (104467)

This is an abnormal examination. There is evidence of abnormal signal and even abnormal contrast enhancement that sits in a retrocalcaneal postition, just adjacent to the achilles tendon attachment site of the calcaneus, and again, there is some marrow edema at this level as well. The may represent sequala of retrocalcaneal bursitis, trauma to the retrocalcaneal region including achilles tendon insertion site trauma. Also one whould have to consider granulomatious disease of this region or posttraumatic change such as pump bump.
Some minimal sub cutaneous edematious changes along the medial aspect of the subcutaneous tissues which is nonspecific and could be related to some localized varicosities or localized trauma. There is no underlying bony abnormality identified. This is best seen on the sagittal t2 fat sat inversion recovery images.

This is an MRI of my foot that is in the least amount of pain. The Dr. has recommended surgery. I have had to cut my work hours down to 24 per week as I am on my feet all day, and by the end of the day can hardly walk.

Re: If you got this MRI result, what would you recomend?

Dr. Z on 1/01/03 at 16:13 (104473)

Sounds like insertional Achillest tendonitis.. What is the conditoin of the achillest tendon. Any tears etc We use ESWT for chronic insertional tenodonitis with or without calcification. Beware of the surgery very involved with a very long post-operative healing time.

Pauline on 1/01/03 at 19:20 (104491)

Jan,
I'm not a doctor but before you jump into any surgery, I'd take that written report and get the MRI films and go for a second opinion.

I personally feel having someone else actually look at the film is very important before you make a decision. There have been more than one occasion when films are misinterpreted and until the actual film is reviewed by another doctor, along with your case history and a complete examination I don't think anything should be done. The new doctor may even want to repeat tests or do others.

I think you'll find most medical web sites carry disclaimers so you understand that they can make no definate diagnosis via the internet simply based on your posting. Why not gather all your tests, films, reports and a letter from your current doctor in which he states his diagnosis and suggested treatment and seek a second opinion before you make any decision.

Jan H on 1/02/03 at 09:11 (104539)

This is my second opinion. The first Dr. wanted me to wear night splints, and orthotics which didn't help in the least. In fact, my orthotics hurt so bad, I can't wear them. As far as ESWT goes, my insurance will not cover this and I can't afford to pay for it myself. It seems just like all the other treatments, works for some, not others. I have had PF for nearly 13 years now and this new pain (tendonitis) it's just getting unbearable.

Dr. Z on 1/01/03 at 16:13 (104473)

Sounds like insertional Achillest tendonitis.. What is the conditoin of the achillest tendon. Any tears etc We use ESWT for chronic insertional tenodonitis with or without calcification. Beware of the surgery very involved with a very long post-operative healing time.

Pauline on 1/01/03 at 19:20 (104491)

Jan,
I'm not a doctor but before you jump into any surgery, I'd take that written report and get the MRI films and go for a second opinion.

I personally feel having someone else actually look at the film is very important before you make a decision. There have been more than one occasion when films are misinterpreted and until the actual film is reviewed by another doctor, along with your case history and a complete examination I don't think anything should be done. The new doctor may even want to repeat tests or do others.

I think you'll find most medical web sites carry disclaimers so you understand that they can make no definate diagnosis via the internet simply based on your posting. Why not gather all your tests, films, reports and a letter from your current doctor in which he states his diagnosis and suggested treatment and seek a second opinion before you make any decision.

Jan H on 1/02/03 at 09:11 (104539)

This is my second opinion. The first Dr. wanted me to wear night splints, and orthotics which didn't help in the least. In fact, my orthotics hurt so bad, I can't wear them. As far as ESWT goes, my insurance will not cover this and I can't afford to pay for it myself. It seems just like all the other treatments, works for some, not others. I have had PF for nearly 13 years now and this new pain (tendonitis) it's just getting unbearable.