Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Where are you from?

Posted by marie e on 1/01/03 at 19:23 (104492)

What country, state or province are you from? It's just nice to get an idea how far we are spread out. Do you have any local foods or customs where you are from?

I am from notheast Indiana. Our summers are hot and our winters are cold. It is considered to be a resort area in the summer with 101 lakes in our county. We have an oral surgeon who raises buffalo. He has the largest herd east of the Mississippi. There is a nice restaurant and B&B at the buffalo preserve. Anyone for buffalo burgers?

Re: Where are you from?

wendyn on 1/01/03 at 20:49 (104501)

marie, I'm from Calgary Alberta.

Local foods? Hmmmm - Canadians like Beer, and according to SCTV also back bacon. Actually - we eat a lot like you do. I've never tried Buffalo.

I have a cousin in Indianapolis (your state is BEAUTIFUL in the fall)

I have nothing but prairie for billion miles to the east of me, and the mountains are just an hour away to the west.

Nancy N on 1/01/03 at 21:41 (104508)

There are two answers to this question, depending on how I interpret it. There's the 'Where are you originally from?' question, and the 'Where do you live now?' question.

I'm originally from Central PA, in Pennsylvania Dutch country. Lots of regional foods there, fun things like scrapple (which we discussed here a while back) or yummy things like shoo-fly pie and chicken pot pie (no, the thing that looks like a pie and has a crust is not the same as PA Dutch boiled pot pie). Dutchies eat lots of strange things. Fortunately, I grew up on the periphery of true Dutchie-ism, so I only got the good stuff :)

I currently live just outside Princeton, NJ, where I'm not sure we have any strictly local foods (none are coming to mind at the moment, anyway), and our local custom is being obnoxious in traffic. Or just obnoxious in general. I'm fortunate enough to live in a really lovely part of this state (as opposed to the very industrial parts) but I still can't get over the fact that people here expect the state government to fix car insurance rates even though they all drive like idiots. Major culture shock when I moved here. The other local custom is to have one of the highest costs of living in the country--sticker shock was pretty bad when I moved here. Overall, I still like it, though. I must be turning into a true New Jerseyan, though, because I just bought my very first Bruce Springsteen album. I guess that means they'll keep me...

nancy s. on 1/01/03 at 22:16 (104512)

marie, i grew up along the hudson river in new york state (born in poughkeepsie).

i now live in old orchard beach, maine, where i have a little antiques shop next to our house. have been in maine for 14 years. our local custom is to chronically elect borderline psychotics to the town council so that everyone at town hall can make life as difficult as possible for the 8,000 year-round residents.

other than that, i love it here! it's an old resort town. it swells to 100,000 people in the summer, including many canadians -- which is nice for the variety and also for the excitement, such as drunks pounding on the front door at 2 a.m. insisting they own this house (well, ok, it happened only once...) -- but i like it most when it's quiet and peaceful yet friendly and neighborly the other nine months of the year. the beach here is 7 miles long and beautiful, and is a great place to watch the sun rise and to walk.

the big local food, of course, is lobster, which i never eat. i don't like seafood: no one around here can understand it. i don't understand it myself. fortunately, portland, which is just 20 miles north, has restaurants representing almost every country you can think of -- the variety is amazing for a relatively small city.

i'm describing life in southern maine. northern maine and downeast are two more different animals entirely.

i've never been to indiana, except to ride through on the train from boston to chicago several times (stops in south bend). i'd like to hear more about it, actually, if you feel like adding to your initial post.

people from faraway countries sometimes appear on these boards. clara from sweden posts occasionally (yup, there's pf in sweden too), and we had a doctor from australia for a while.

nancy

pala on 1/01/03 at 22:52 (104520)

the answer to that question where i come from is 'whatsit to ya? you guessed it. brooklyn.

pala on 1/01/03 at 22:53 (104521)

i went to college near poughkeepsie. new paltz. how old are you . maybe you know classmates of mine from there.

nancy s. on 1/01/03 at 23:25 (104524)

i left poughkeepsie at age 13 (closer to The City), but returned to the area for college (Bard, in Annandale-on-Hudson). i'm 53. state university is in new paltz?

pala on 1/01/03 at 23:30 (104526)

oddly enough it is called new paltz state university.

Suzanne D on 1/02/03 at 09:02 (104538)

Hello, Marie! I'm your neighbor - to the south. I live in central Kentucky, about an hour south of Louisville. I live in a big county, but in the southern, rural end. Of course our weather is much the same, although if you get 8 inches of snow, we might get two. Our biggest snowfalls usually come from the south by way of Nashville.

Nice hearing from you!
Suzanne :-)

Re: Checking in from Mass.

BrianG on 1/02/03 at 12:04 (104564)

I live in central Ma, and just ate some buffalo this week. A neighbor thought it would be fun to mix buff burger into some pasta sauce. Tasted like regular old hamburg to me. Now, give me a nice teriyaki marinated venison steak, on the grill, and I'm in heaven!!

BrianG

linda on 1/02/03 at 12:15 (104565)

hello marie ! i live in louisville,ky . there is a place not far from me in shelbyville,ky (tourist attraction ) . suzanne D lives south of me about 1hr drive . thanks for bring up this topic . i try to picture where everyone lives . i don't think we have anyone living on southeastern coast such as south carolina , florida , virgina, north carolina . linda (ky)

Necee on 1/02/03 at 12:53 (104574)

Howdy Ya'll!! This country gal is from Texas.
I was born in Dallas, but raised on a ranch south of Dallas. I currently live about 5 miles from where I was raised, I sure didn't fall too far from the tree! We have a ranch about 70 miles south of Dallas where we will be moving to in the near future.

The most popular food in this area is mexican food and barbeque.

Happy trails...

Necee

marie e on 1/02/03 at 13:31 (104584)

Wow what a variety of people and places. I am not originally from Indiana but ended up here. My family moved alot because of my father's job. I was born in Cleveland and have lived in Detroit, Atlanta, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Salt Lake City, and Indianapolis. For the past 15 years we have lived in this area. And yes we ride the train. We have gone to Boston, Chicago, and New Mexico by train. Indiana is a great state to live in if you like to travel because we are in the middle of it all. We are well known for having a very reasonable cost of living. Home prices vary because of the lakes. Since we live on the main street in our city the 4th of July parade goes past our house and we end up with about 100 people in our front yard. They come from all over...Chicago, Washington DC. They are city dwellers looking for a little small town charm. We tell them we go to the big city for our vacation because we need a little big city charm. It all balances out.

We have many Amish families who live in this area. They add alot of culture to our area. It's not unusual to see a horse and buggy go past our house. Kinda takes ya back a little.

Thanks for posting!!!!

JudyS on 1/02/03 at 13:47 (104587)

Marie - I am in San Diego, CA.
If you are in NE Indiana, then you are sort of near my sister and friends in southern Michigan. She lived in Syracuse, IN for years and now is in Sturgis, MI.

Nancy N on 1/02/03 at 14:37 (104600)

Interesting that you have Amish in Indiana! They are, of course, one of the hallmarks of PA Dutch Country. I know a lot of them are moving away from places like Lancaster, where they've become a big tourist attraction, but I'd only heard that they've moved to northern PA and in some cases to New York state. I wonder if this means you have access to some of the same culinary delights (and nightmares!) that I grew up with?

john h on 1/02/03 at 17:19 (104616)

Pala: I lived one year on Flatbush Avenue not far from the old Dodger stadium. Rode the subway everday to Wall Street. Worked on Maiden Lane and never once did i get a seat on that darned subway.

pala on 1/02/03 at 18:09 (104621)

born and lived on flatbush ave. then moved to long island. visited grandmother on flatbush a lot. played in prospect park a lot. as a kid and teen i used to ride subways with my grandmother's hatpin. if a man spoke to me or touched me i jabbed him with the pin.

john h on 1/02/03 at 18:13 (104623)

The Amaish are also very prevelant in Iowa. When I was living in Cedar Rapids all us guys would go to the little town of Amana where each Sunday the Amaish families would open their homes for lunch. We could eat all we wanted of really great food for a couple of dollars in there dining rooms family style.

Re: Delaware here

Pam B on 1/02/03 at 20:02 (104649)

The first state and a very small one at that.....I live at the beach so pizza and hand cut french fries fried in peanut oil are a big food item here...now personally, I prefer a good medium rare delmonico or porterhouse steak and a salad :)

Nancy N on 1/02/03 at 20:18 (104651)

John, I maintain there is nowhere on this earth where you haven't lived or visited. I certainly would not have guessed you'd been a New Yorker, though. Of course, a few years ago, I would have laughed at you if you'd told me that one day, I would just love NYC. But now I do, and in fact I have been feeling withdrawal symptoms lately because I haven't visited the Big Apple since my birthday in October. And this is a lovely time of year to visit, with all the lights and other decorations! I probably won't be able to get there before all that stuff is gone, though.

The subway and I are old friends. I spent an awful lot of time on it when I went to the Bronx two years ago for the OrthoWave study. Best bargain in New York, even if they end up raising the rates.

Speaking of NYC, has anyone heard from ellen w lately?

Nancy N on 1/02/03 at 20:25 (104652)

Boy, I bet you gained some weight when you lived there! Amish food is good, but it stays with you for a while. Is that where you had shoo-fly pie?

nancy s. on 1/02/03 at 20:42 (104656)

nancy, when in october is your birthday? mine is the 11th. of course, it was a few years before your actual birth. just a few, though. i entered college at the age of 4.

are you getting the feeling that we gave out a little too much info on 'where are you from'? everyone else is being so cryptic, i'm starting to feel like a big blabbermouth! maybe i am!

nancy

Nancy N on 1/02/03 at 20:49 (104657)

No way!! You're the 11th, and I'm the 10th! This explains SO much, don't you think? And of course we all knew you started Harvard at 4, your genius being as obvious as it is! ;)

As for being a blabbermouth, well, most of my friends would not dispute that dubious title. But the original question asked for things like local foods and customs, and I tried to answer the whole question. Not my fault if everybody else didn't study for the quiz! :)

JudyS on 1/02/03 at 21:00 (104658)

College at the age of four, Nancy? I guess then that I had my sons before my 6th birthday.....:)

nancy s. on 1/02/03 at 21:53 (104665)

it probably does explain a lot! also, phil and i got married on october 10. also, eleanor roosevelt was born on october 11. also, john lennon was born on october 9. i think i have a lot in common with all you people.
if judy was having sons before age 6, does that mean she is about 12 now?
nancy

Nancy N on 1/02/03 at 22:02 (104667)

Thelonius Monk was born on 10/10. I don't know too many others off the top of my head, but a quick Google search found me a page of politicians born on my birthday. I don't know who they are, but they have interesting names like Ichabod Goodwin and Morley Griswold.

I'm so thrilled though, to know I have great birthday-friends on either side of my birthday! One of my very best friends was born the day before me.

We Libras are very cool people :)

pala on 1/03/03 at 09:28 (104688)

born in brooklyn new york. just started toughening up and then it was off to long island to absorb the cultural amosphere of bowling alleys and shopping malls. then to college. then ran away to berdkely as young hippy. then back to college. then atlanta georgia and a marraige to uggh an attorney. then ran away to berkeley as middle age hippy. then atlanta for a graduate degree. then ran away to join a clothing optional hippy hot springs community in northern calif. then decided i needed to own a house . back to atlanta where houses are affordable. and here i be. a southerner. well, shut mah mouth before i swallow a grit.

Re: Alright a real southern New Yorker!!!

marie e on 1/03/03 at 10:04 (104691)

Pala,

You definately have had the best of both worlds. I love NY but haven't had much of a chance to visit. Of all the places my parents lived I have to admit Atlanta was my favorite.....My mother was a true southerner born and raised in Alabama....I was raised on grits, fried chicken, pecans and of course 'yes maaaam!'. I climbed stone mountain before it was carved. Of course I was only 2 months old according to this boards aging process.

later

marie e on 1/03/03 at 10:08 (104692)

Judy,
Sturgis is pretty close. We often go up to Coldwater MI to eat and go to the movies.

Re: Amish in Indiana

marie e on 1/03/03 at 10:17 (104693)

YES! We have lots of yummy Amish delights....like breads, fat noodles, canned beef and chicken. Our favorite is beef and noodles over mashed potatos.

Most of the Amish in our area live a pretty frugile excistence. Some are very poor. There is a group in the Shipshewana area that has had financial success. Most are wood workers....they make some mighty fine furniture. They also sell alot of gardening items...especially perrenials. There are several excellent restaurants owned and run by Amish in that area. It is definately a tourist area.

marie e on 1/03/03 at 10:23 (104694)

Keep blabbering. It's been kind of fun finding out about all the foods and customs local to each person. amazing how many of us have in common.
It has been a fun diversion from daily pain.

Smile on

Richard, C.Ped on 1/03/03 at 11:04 (104699)

I am in beautiful South Carolina. Born and raised here. I am not sure about local customs, but if we had visitors, I am sure they would point them out to me.
Richard

john h on 1/03/03 at 12:08 (104707)

Nancy: One day I was standing on the corner of Times Square at noon and ran into a high school classmate. What are the odds of that. My biggest problem in NYC was my southern habit of say hello (hey in southern) to perfect strangers. People thought I was an idiot. I soon learned to just walk on by..

john h on 1/03/03 at 12:13 (104708)

Richard I parked my wife and daughter in Charleston when I made my first tour to Vietnam. My aunt lived at 68 Meeting Street in one of those old 4 story 18th century homes.

JudyS on 1/03/03 at 12:49 (104710)

Marie - I never fail to bring something Amish home when I go to your area. They are wonderful crafters. I'll be visiting Shipshewana (antique heaven) on my next trip.

Richard, C.Ped on 1/03/03 at 13:56 (104715)

It is very nice down there. My wife loves to visit there often. We usually pack the car and head down there for a day trip every so often. I love Charleston, Folly Beach and Savannah. Charleston is only about 2.5 hours from me.
Richard

pala on 1/03/03 at 14:32 (104719)

when i first moved south from nyc i was exhausted at the end of each day , saying heh and smiling to strangers who initiated heh and smile at me.

Re: New York

Nancy N on 1/03/03 at 14:47 (104720)

I'd say the odds of running into someone you know are pretty good in New York, just because I know people who have run into friends and former professors on planes or subways in other countries. So why not New York? I confess I am trying to picture you at Times Square or on Wall Street. But then, there is something about you that seems to fit everywhere, John, which I guess is why you seem to have been everywhere!

I know what you mean about the straight-ahead, pay-no-attention attitude in New York. Though, if everyone said hello to everyone they met in the city, nobody would ever get anywhere! :) Besides which, with that many people around, the percentage of 'folks with whom you shouldn't make eye contact' goes up. I've certainly encountered enough of them to be wary of making eye contact with anyone I don't know while I'm in the city.

I feel like a strange mix of tourist and resident when I go there, just because I can go as often as I like. You start to pick up the local habits. I laughed this summer as I walked up 5th Avenue one Saturday morning, because I could immediately tell the tourists from the 'locals.' The tourists wait for the signs to change to 'Walk' before they step off the sidewalk. The locals look up the street and, if nobody's coming, they cross the street. (Of course, who knows what they thought of me, in shorts and backpack with an Anglican choir robe slung over my shoulder! Anywhere else in the world people would have been staring at me).

There's something about the atmosphere in New York that makes it seem like a major roadblock if you have to stop on the sidewalk. Once you get the New York Walk going, you don't want to stop. I suppose some people would consider it all a form of rudeness, or self-centeredness, but I think it has more to do with a certain energy in the city. If I lived there, maybe I'd call it stress :) But since I don't, I find it very invigorating--even though I wouldn't want to live there and be around it all the time.

pala on 1/03/03 at 15:39 (104727)

when i first moved south from nyc i was exhausted at the end of each day , saying heh and smiling to strangers who initiated heh and smile at me.

john h on 1/04/03 at 10:17 (104802)

Carole and Nancy you are the smarty pants among us so what are the odds that you or I have breathed some of the same air that passed through the lungs of Julius Ceasar? I don't think the elements that constitute air are completely destroyed in nature?

Nancy N on 1/04/03 at 10:22 (104803)

I'm sure that those specific molecules are still around, John, but I'm betting they've been dispersed so much by now that you'd never know. We might have all breathed the same atom or two as some famous person in the past.

Trying to estimate the odds for this would be like the first homework assignment in my Physics class freshman year in college. I opened the book and it asked me to estimate the number of water molecules in the Pacific Ocean. When I got done with that one, I was supposed to move on to the number of hydrogen atoms in the sun. Should have dropped that course right then and there...

john h on 1/04/03 at 10:27 (104804)

hey Paula. Have you learned southern girls do not prespire, wear big hats, call everyone suga,daling and honey,like men who wear uniforms like the military and Rhett Butler, enjoy movies like Fried Green Tomatoes, Gone With the Wind, and Driving Miss Daisy, take trips to Lanta,Svannah,and Chalston, never go on blind dates, always enjoy fresh biscuits and red eye gravy for breakfast, wear long gloves and are chaming.

bye now-heahhhh

Carole C in NOLA on 1/04/03 at 12:25 (104824)

I'm no smarty pants! LOL I'd say that the chances that you or I have breathed some of the same air that passed through the lungs of Julius Caesar, would be very slim but really I have no idea.

You'd have to compute:
the total volume of air
the average volume of a breath,
the total number of breaths taken by Julius Caesar and
the total number of breaths taken by you

Then from these quantities you could find the volume of air that has gone through Caesar's lungs and through yours.

At some point you'd have to make some assumptions about the mixing of Caesar's air throughout all the air in the world. Did it mix evenly, or is most of it still over there in Europe? I have no idea.

Most of what's in air is nitrogen and other unused gases. We use the oxygen that's in air, and give off CO2, which has oxygen in it. Plants use CO2 and give off oxygen.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/04/03 at 12:30 (104825)

John, you will scare her back north! Southern girls really don't ALL wear long gloves and big hats constantly, and some do go on blind dates. The rest of it is about right. LOL

Carole C

JudyS on 1/04/03 at 16:34 (104844)

Ah ha! So THAT'S why I'm not a 'southern girl'! :) Although Rhett does rate right up there with Harmon Rabb......

nancy s. on 1/04/03 at 23:32 (104877)

carole, i think it's time to remind people that you were reading Scientific American at age 13.

nancy

Sharon W on 1/05/03 at 09:59 (104888)

Marie,

I'm actually FROM Arizona, but I live in central Tesas, now.

Sharon

wendyn on 1/01/03 at 20:49 (104501)

marie, I'm from Calgary Alberta.

Local foods? Hmmmm - Canadians like Beer, and according to SCTV also back bacon. Actually - we eat a lot like you do. I've never tried Buffalo.

I have a cousin in Indianapolis (your state is BEAUTIFUL in the fall)

I have nothing but prairie for billion miles to the east of me, and the mountains are just an hour away to the west.

Nancy N on 1/01/03 at 21:41 (104508)

There are two answers to this question, depending on how I interpret it. There's the 'Where are you originally from?' question, and the 'Where do you live now?' question.

I'm originally from Central PA, in Pennsylvania Dutch country. Lots of regional foods there, fun things like scrapple (which we discussed here a while back) or yummy things like shoo-fly pie and chicken pot pie (no, the thing that looks like a pie and has a crust is not the same as PA Dutch boiled pot pie). Dutchies eat lots of strange things. Fortunately, I grew up on the periphery of true Dutchie-ism, so I only got the good stuff :)

I currently live just outside Princeton, NJ, where I'm not sure we have any strictly local foods (none are coming to mind at the moment, anyway), and our local custom is being obnoxious in traffic. Or just obnoxious in general. I'm fortunate enough to live in a really lovely part of this state (as opposed to the very industrial parts) but I still can't get over the fact that people here expect the state government to fix car insurance rates even though they all drive like idiots. Major culture shock when I moved here. The other local custom is to have one of the highest costs of living in the country--sticker shock was pretty bad when I moved here. Overall, I still like it, though. I must be turning into a true New Jerseyan, though, because I just bought my very first Bruce Springsteen album. I guess that means they'll keep me...

nancy s. on 1/01/03 at 22:16 (104512)

marie, i grew up along the hudson river in new york state (born in poughkeepsie).

i now live in old orchard beach, maine, where i have a little antiques shop next to our house. have been in maine for 14 years. our local custom is to chronically elect borderline psychotics to the town council so that everyone at town hall can make life as difficult as possible for the 8,000 year-round residents.

other than that, i love it here! it's an old resort town. it swells to 100,000 people in the summer, including many canadians -- which is nice for the variety and also for the excitement, such as drunks pounding on the front door at 2 a.m. insisting they own this house (well, ok, it happened only once...) -- but i like it most when it's quiet and peaceful yet friendly and neighborly the other nine months of the year. the beach here is 7 miles long and beautiful, and is a great place to watch the sun rise and to walk.

the big local food, of course, is lobster, which i never eat. i don't like seafood: no one around here can understand it. i don't understand it myself. fortunately, portland, which is just 20 miles north, has restaurants representing almost every country you can think of -- the variety is amazing for a relatively small city.

i'm describing life in southern maine. northern maine and downeast are two more different animals entirely.

i've never been to indiana, except to ride through on the train from boston to chicago several times (stops in south bend). i'd like to hear more about it, actually, if you feel like adding to your initial post.

people from faraway countries sometimes appear on these boards. clara from sweden posts occasionally (yup, there's pf in sweden too), and we had a doctor from australia for a while.

nancy

pala on 1/01/03 at 22:52 (104520)

the answer to that question where i come from is 'whatsit to ya? you guessed it. brooklyn.

pala on 1/01/03 at 22:53 (104521)

i went to college near poughkeepsie. new paltz. how old are you . maybe you know classmates of mine from there.

nancy s. on 1/01/03 at 23:25 (104524)

i left poughkeepsie at age 13 (closer to The City), but returned to the area for college (Bard, in Annandale-on-Hudson). i'm 53. state university is in new paltz?

pala on 1/01/03 at 23:30 (104526)

oddly enough it is called new paltz state university.

Suzanne D on 1/02/03 at 09:02 (104538)

Hello, Marie! I'm your neighbor - to the south. I live in central Kentucky, about an hour south of Louisville. I live in a big county, but in the southern, rural end. Of course our weather is much the same, although if you get 8 inches of snow, we might get two. Our biggest snowfalls usually come from the south by way of Nashville.

Nice hearing from you!
Suzanne :-)

Re: Checking in from Mass.

BrianG on 1/02/03 at 12:04 (104564)

I live in central Ma, and just ate some buffalo this week. A neighbor thought it would be fun to mix buff burger into some pasta sauce. Tasted like regular old hamburg to me. Now, give me a nice teriyaki marinated venison steak, on the grill, and I'm in heaven!!

BrianG

linda on 1/02/03 at 12:15 (104565)

hello marie ! i live in louisville,ky . there is a place not far from me in shelbyville,ky (tourist attraction ) . suzanne D lives south of me about 1hr drive . thanks for bring up this topic . i try to picture where everyone lives . i don't think we have anyone living on southeastern coast such as south carolina , florida , virgina, north carolina . linda (ky)

Necee on 1/02/03 at 12:53 (104574)

Howdy Ya'll!! This country gal is from Texas.
I was born in Dallas, but raised on a ranch south of Dallas. I currently live about 5 miles from where I was raised, I sure didn't fall too far from the tree! We have a ranch about 70 miles south of Dallas where we will be moving to in the near future.

The most popular food in this area is mexican food and barbeque.

Happy trails...

Necee

marie e on 1/02/03 at 13:31 (104584)

Wow what a variety of people and places. I am not originally from Indiana but ended up here. My family moved alot because of my father's job. I was born in Cleveland and have lived in Detroit, Atlanta, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Salt Lake City, and Indianapolis. For the past 15 years we have lived in this area. And yes we ride the train. We have gone to Boston, Chicago, and New Mexico by train. Indiana is a great state to live in if you like to travel because we are in the middle of it all. We are well known for having a very reasonable cost of living. Home prices vary because of the lakes. Since we live on the main street in our city the 4th of July parade goes past our house and we end up with about 100 people in our front yard. They come from all over...Chicago, Washington DC. They are city dwellers looking for a little small town charm. We tell them we go to the big city for our vacation because we need a little big city charm. It all balances out.

We have many Amish families who live in this area. They add alot of culture to our area. It's not unusual to see a horse and buggy go past our house. Kinda takes ya back a little.

Thanks for posting!!!!

JudyS on 1/02/03 at 13:47 (104587)

Marie - I am in San Diego, CA.
If you are in NE Indiana, then you are sort of near my sister and friends in southern Michigan. She lived in Syracuse, IN for years and now is in Sturgis, MI.

Nancy N on 1/02/03 at 14:37 (104600)

Interesting that you have Amish in Indiana! They are, of course, one of the hallmarks of PA Dutch Country. I know a lot of them are moving away from places like Lancaster, where they've become a big tourist attraction, but I'd only heard that they've moved to northern PA and in some cases to New York state. I wonder if this means you have access to some of the same culinary delights (and nightmares!) that I grew up with?

john h on 1/02/03 at 17:19 (104616)

Pala: I lived one year on Flatbush Avenue not far from the old Dodger stadium. Rode the subway everday to Wall Street. Worked on Maiden Lane and never once did i get a seat on that darned subway.

pala on 1/02/03 at 18:09 (104621)

born and lived on flatbush ave. then moved to long island. visited grandmother on flatbush a lot. played in prospect park a lot. as a kid and teen i used to ride subways with my grandmother's hatpin. if a man spoke to me or touched me i jabbed him with the pin.

john h on 1/02/03 at 18:13 (104623)

The Amaish are also very prevelant in Iowa. When I was living in Cedar Rapids all us guys would go to the little town of Amana where each Sunday the Amaish families would open their homes for lunch. We could eat all we wanted of really great food for a couple of dollars in there dining rooms family style.

Re: Delaware here

Pam B on 1/02/03 at 20:02 (104649)

The first state and a very small one at that.....I live at the beach so pizza and hand cut french fries fried in peanut oil are a big food item here...now personally, I prefer a good medium rare delmonico or porterhouse steak and a salad :)

Nancy N on 1/02/03 at 20:18 (104651)

John, I maintain there is nowhere on this earth where you haven't lived or visited. I certainly would not have guessed you'd been a New Yorker, though. Of course, a few years ago, I would have laughed at you if you'd told me that one day, I would just love NYC. But now I do, and in fact I have been feeling withdrawal symptoms lately because I haven't visited the Big Apple since my birthday in October. And this is a lovely time of year to visit, with all the lights and other decorations! I probably won't be able to get there before all that stuff is gone, though.

The subway and I are old friends. I spent an awful lot of time on it when I went to the Bronx two years ago for the OrthoWave study. Best bargain in New York, even if they end up raising the rates.

Speaking of NYC, has anyone heard from ellen w lately?

Nancy N on 1/02/03 at 20:25 (104652)

Boy, I bet you gained some weight when you lived there! Amish food is good, but it stays with you for a while. Is that where you had shoo-fly pie?

nancy s. on 1/02/03 at 20:42 (104656)

nancy, when in october is your birthday? mine is the 11th. of course, it was a few years before your actual birth. just a few, though. i entered college at the age of 4.

are you getting the feeling that we gave out a little too much info on 'where are you from'? everyone else is being so cryptic, i'm starting to feel like a big blabbermouth! maybe i am!

nancy

Nancy N on 1/02/03 at 20:49 (104657)

No way!! You're the 11th, and I'm the 10th! This explains SO much, don't you think? And of course we all knew you started Harvard at 4, your genius being as obvious as it is! ;)

As for being a blabbermouth, well, most of my friends would not dispute that dubious title. But the original question asked for things like local foods and customs, and I tried to answer the whole question. Not my fault if everybody else didn't study for the quiz! :)

JudyS on 1/02/03 at 21:00 (104658)

College at the age of four, Nancy? I guess then that I had my sons before my 6th birthday.....:)

nancy s. on 1/02/03 at 21:53 (104665)

it probably does explain a lot! also, phil and i got married on october 10. also, eleanor roosevelt was born on october 11. also, john lennon was born on october 9. i think i have a lot in common with all you people.
if judy was having sons before age 6, does that mean she is about 12 now?
nancy

Nancy N on 1/02/03 at 22:02 (104667)

Thelonius Monk was born on 10/10. I don't know too many others off the top of my head, but a quick Google search found me a page of politicians born on my birthday. I don't know who they are, but they have interesting names like Ichabod Goodwin and Morley Griswold.

I'm so thrilled though, to know I have great birthday-friends on either side of my birthday! One of my very best friends was born the day before me.

We Libras are very cool people :)

pala on 1/03/03 at 09:28 (104688)

born in brooklyn new york. just started toughening up and then it was off to long island to absorb the cultural amosphere of bowling alleys and shopping malls. then to college. then ran away to berdkely as young hippy. then back to college. then atlanta georgia and a marraige to uggh an attorney. then ran away to berkeley as middle age hippy. then atlanta for a graduate degree. then ran away to join a clothing optional hippy hot springs community in northern calif. then decided i needed to own a house . back to atlanta where houses are affordable. and here i be. a southerner. well, shut mah mouth before i swallow a grit.

Re: Alright a real southern New Yorker!!!

marie e on 1/03/03 at 10:04 (104691)

Pala,

You definately have had the best of both worlds. I love NY but haven't had much of a chance to visit. Of all the places my parents lived I have to admit Atlanta was my favorite.....My mother was a true southerner born and raised in Alabama....I was raised on grits, fried chicken, pecans and of course 'yes maaaam!'. I climbed stone mountain before it was carved. Of course I was only 2 months old according to this boards aging process.

later

marie e on 1/03/03 at 10:08 (104692)

Judy,
Sturgis is pretty close. We often go up to Coldwater MI to eat and go to the movies.

marie e on 1/03/03 at 10:17 (104693)

YES! We have lots of yummy Amish delights....like breads, fat noodles, canned beef and chicken. Our favorite is beef and noodles over mashed potatos.

Most of the Amish in our area live a pretty frugile excistence. Some are very poor. There is a group in the Shipshewana area that has had financial success. Most are wood workers....they make some mighty fine furniture. They also sell alot of gardening items...especially perrenials. There are several excellent restaurants owned and run by Amish in that area. It is definately a tourist area.

marie e on 1/03/03 at 10:23 (104694)

Keep blabbering. It's been kind of fun finding out about all the foods and customs local to each person. amazing how many of us have in common.
It has been a fun diversion from daily pain.

Smile on

Richard, C.Ped on 1/03/03 at 11:04 (104699)

I am in beautiful South Carolina. Born and raised here. I am not sure about local customs, but if we had visitors, I am sure they would point them out to me.
Richard

john h on 1/03/03 at 12:08 (104707)

Nancy: One day I was standing on the corner of Times Square at noon and ran into a high school classmate. What are the odds of that. My biggest problem in NYC was my southern habit of say hello (hey in southern) to perfect strangers. People thought I was an idiot. I soon learned to just walk on by..

john h on 1/03/03 at 12:13 (104708)

Richard I parked my wife and daughter in Charleston when I made my first tour to Vietnam. My aunt lived at 68 Meeting Street in one of those old 4 story 18th century homes.

JudyS on 1/03/03 at 12:49 (104710)

Marie - I never fail to bring something Amish home when I go to your area. They are wonderful crafters. I'll be visiting Shipshewana (antique heaven) on my next trip.

Richard, C.Ped on 1/03/03 at 13:56 (104715)

It is very nice down there. My wife loves to visit there often. We usually pack the car and head down there for a day trip every so often. I love Charleston, Folly Beach and Savannah. Charleston is only about 2.5 hours from me.
Richard

pala on 1/03/03 at 14:32 (104719)

Nancy N on 1/03/03 at 14:47 (104720)

I'd say the odds of running into someone you know are pretty good in New York, just because I know people who have run into friends and former professors on planes or subways in other countries. So why not New York? I confess I am trying to picture you at Times Square or on Wall Street. But then, there is something about you that seems to fit everywhere, John, which I guess is why you seem to have been everywhere!

I know what you mean about the straight-ahead, pay-no-attention attitude in New York. Though, if everyone said hello to everyone they met in the city, nobody would ever get anywhere! :) Besides which, with that many people around, the percentage of 'folks with whom you shouldn't make eye contact' goes up. I've certainly encountered enough of them to be wary of making eye contact with anyone I don't know while I'm in the city.

I feel like a strange mix of tourist and resident when I go there, just because I can go as often as I like. You start to pick up the local habits. I laughed this summer as I walked up 5th Avenue one Saturday morning, because I could immediately tell the tourists from the 'locals.' The tourists wait for the signs to change to 'Walk' before they step off the sidewalk. The locals look up the street and, if nobody's coming, they cross the street. (Of course, who knows what they thought of me, in shorts and backpack with an Anglican choir robe slung over my shoulder! Anywhere else in the world people would have been staring at me).

There's something about the atmosphere in New York that makes it seem like a major roadblock if you have to stop on the sidewalk. Once you get the New York Walk going, you don't want to stop. I suppose some people would consider it all a form of rudeness, or self-centeredness, but I think it has more to do with a certain energy in the city. If I lived there, maybe I'd call it stress :) But since I don't, I find it very invigorating--even though I wouldn't want to live there and be around it all the time.

pala on 1/03/03 at 15:39 (104727)

john h on 1/04/03 at 10:17 (104802)

Carole and Nancy you are the smarty pants among us so what are the odds that you or I have breathed some of the same air that passed through the lungs of Julius Ceasar? I don't think the elements that constitute air are completely destroyed in nature?

Nancy N on 1/04/03 at 10:22 (104803)

I'm sure that those specific molecules are still around, John, but I'm betting they've been dispersed so much by now that you'd never know. We might have all breathed the same atom or two as some famous person in the past.

Trying to estimate the odds for this would be like the first homework assignment in my Physics class freshman year in college. I opened the book and it asked me to estimate the number of water molecules in the Pacific Ocean. When I got done with that one, I was supposed to move on to the number of hydrogen atoms in the sun. Should have dropped that course right then and there...

john h on 1/04/03 at 10:27 (104804)

hey Paula. Have you learned southern girls do not prespire, wear big hats, call everyone suga,daling and honey,like men who wear uniforms like the military and Rhett Butler, enjoy movies like Fried Green Tomatoes, Gone With the Wind, and Driving Miss Daisy, take trips to Lanta,Svannah,and Chalston, never go on blind dates, always enjoy fresh biscuits and red eye gravy for breakfast, wear long gloves and are chaming.

bye now-heahhhh

Carole C in NOLA on 1/04/03 at 12:25 (104824)

I'm no smarty pants! LOL I'd say that the chances that you or I have breathed some of the same air that passed through the lungs of Julius Caesar, would be very slim but really I have no idea.

You'd have to compute:
the total volume of air
the average volume of a breath,
the total number of breaths taken by Julius Caesar and
the total number of breaths taken by you

Then from these quantities you could find the volume of air that has gone through Caesar's lungs and through yours.

At some point you'd have to make some assumptions about the mixing of Caesar's air throughout all the air in the world. Did it mix evenly, or is most of it still over there in Europe? I have no idea.

Most of what's in air is nitrogen and other unused gases. We use the oxygen that's in air, and give off CO2, which has oxygen in it. Plants use CO2 and give off oxygen.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/04/03 at 12:30 (104825)

John, you will scare her back north! Southern girls really don't ALL wear long gloves and big hats constantly, and some do go on blind dates. The rest of it is about right. LOL

Carole C

JudyS on 1/04/03 at 16:34 (104844)

Ah ha! So THAT'S why I'm not a 'southern girl'! :) Although Rhett does rate right up there with Harmon Rabb......

nancy s. on 1/04/03 at 23:32 (104877)

carole, i think it's time to remind people that you were reading Scientific American at age 13.

nancy

Sharon W on 1/05/03 at 09:59 (104888)

Marie,

I'm actually FROM Arizona, but I live in central Tesas, now.

Sharon