Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

seeking help finding a work shoe

Posted by JoAnn V on 1/01/03 at 23:58 (104528)

Can someone PLEASE help me find a 'SLIP-RESISTANT' black work shoe. I have PF, an a wide foot. Every shoe I have tried hurts some area of my foot. I can't wear..... shoes for crews, SAS, knapp, skidbuster, lehigh, natualis, tred safe, reebook & safe trax..... just to name a few. I am a waitress and at wits end. The shoes I do find are never wide enough or have too much sewing patterns that they hurt my corns. Am I the only one with this problem? Thanks

Re: seeking help finding a work shoe

Jan H on 1/02/03 at 09:14 (104540)

You could try Birkenstocks or Danskos, they help for some people. Also, if you can find a shoe with a thick heel (almost like a cowboy boot), that may help. Good luck to you.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/03/03 at 19:09 (104746)

Consider the Brooks Addiction WT which comes in white, black and brown leather. It is basically the Brooks Addiction V running shoe, covered with leather. It is a very stable shoe and comes in wide widths. The New Balance 801 has more widths, is stable, although a bit less than the Brooks Addiction WT.
Ed

JoAnn V on 1/04/03 at 00:33 (104772)

Are your sure these shoes are 'slip-resistant'? I work on very slippery floors.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/07/03 at 22:56 (105071)

The shoes I have mentioned have decent slip resistance -- equivalent to any good running shoe. If you are working on shoes that are regularly covered with grease or oil, you will need to look at specialty shoes -- a number of patients in such situations order from 'Shoes for Crews.'
Ed

Ang D. on 1/09/03 at 20:27 (105185)

I personally like Aerosoles, and it's all I can afford and find comfortable. They have a couple of nice work shoes w/ rubber soled bottoms w/ threading. They are cushioned yet stable and easy to stand in for hours w/ PF.

Jan H on 1/02/03 at 09:14 (104540)

You could try Birkenstocks or Danskos, they help for some people. Also, if you can find a shoe with a thick heel (almost like a cowboy boot), that may help. Good luck to you.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/03/03 at 19:09 (104746)

Consider the Brooks Addiction WT which comes in white, black and brown leather. It is basically the Brooks Addiction V running shoe, covered with leather. It is a very stable shoe and comes in wide widths. The New Balance 801 has more widths, is stable, although a bit less than the Brooks Addiction WT.
Ed

JoAnn V on 1/04/03 at 00:33 (104772)

Are your sure these shoes are 'slip-resistant'? I work on very slippery floors.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/07/03 at 22:56 (105071)

The shoes I have mentioned have decent slip resistance -- equivalent to any good running shoe. If you are working on shoes that are regularly covered with grease or oil, you will need to look at specialty shoes -- a number of patients in such situations order from 'Shoes for Crews.'
Ed

Ang D. on 1/09/03 at 20:27 (105185)

I personally like Aerosoles, and it's all I can afford and find comfortable. They have a couple of nice work shoes w/ rubber soled bottoms w/ threading. They are cushioned yet stable and easy to stand in for hours w/ PF.