Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Chronic pain

Posted by judy on 1/02/03 at 07:05 (104529)

HI and thanks taking the time to try and help me.

I have unbearable pain in my instep. I have had 4 surgeries now (2 to remove neuromas and 2 where they removed nerves altogether) My last surgery was on 12-16-02 and it did nothing to relieve the pain. I now have this same pain on the bottom of my foot and on the top of my instep above the spot where they removed the nerve. This pain is a 10 on a 1-10 scale and nothing I've tried seems to help. Icing does nothing, Oxycontin does virtually nothing to help.

I have researched CRPS and have none of the other symptoms such as increased nail or hair growth, discoloration, swelling…just intractable, stabbing, acute pain.

I am desperate to find out exactly what is causing this and to find the real treatment that will give me my life back.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Chronic pain

BrianG on 1/02/03 at 12:42 (104567)

Hi Judy,

Just a note on the pain meds. I see you have tried OxyContin. There are others you could try, if this one doesn't work. There is morphine based MsContin, Fentynal patches, and maybe the best for nerve type pain, Methadone. Neurontin, an anti-seizure med, may also help. Can you work with your doctor, to try these other meds?

Good luck
Brian G, not a doc

John King on 1/03/03 at 15:04 (104722)

Maybe you should go to a pain management clinic. These guys understand pain and are not shy about prescribing medications.

John King

BrianG on 1/02/03 at 12:42 (104567)

Hi Judy,

Just a note on the pain meds. I see you have tried OxyContin. There are others you could try, if this one doesn't work. There is morphine based MsContin, Fentynal patches, and maybe the best for nerve type pain, Methadone. Neurontin, an anti-seizure med, may also help. Can you work with your doctor, to try these other meds?

Good luck
Brian G, not a doc

John King on 1/03/03 at 15:04 (104722)

Maybe you should go to a pain management clinic. These guys understand pain and are not shy about prescribing medications.

John King