Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

John H's fascinating georgraphical history

Posted by Nancy N on 1/03/03 at 12:26 (104709)

After reading many of John's posts over the past two and a half years, I've come to the conclusion that there is no place on earth that John has not at least visited, and he's lived in almost as many. So--can we piece together his geographical history? Off the top of my head, I can remember the following:

1. He currently lives in Little Rock.
2. He spent a year on Flatbush Ave (is that Brooklyn or Queens?) and went to Wall Street every day.
3. He also lived in Cedar Rapids.
4. He spent time in Vietnam
5. His daughter was born in Mount Holly, NJ, which I presume means he lived there at the time (at Maguire, perhaps?)

Anybody remember any others? I'm sure more will come to me. This game won't be as much fun if John posts the whole thing for us, of course. I'm curious to see how well we can do on our own. :)

Re: John H's fascinating georgraphical history

JudyS on 1/03/03 at 12:55 (104712)

6. Stationed and/or visited England
7. visited Haight Ashbury
8. Stationed on the North Pole (or somewhere therabouts)
9. Chicago
10. Texas
11. Georgia?

Clearly I've been listening to John h for a long time!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/03/03 at 14:15 (104718)

In his posts he's reminisced about a visit to New Orleans some time in the distant past... :)

He was in England for a while when he was in the military, I think?

Carole C

john h on 1/03/03 at 15:50 (104730)

A few you missed Nancy: Denver,Cheyenne,Wichita,Lubbock,Wichita Falls, Harlingen,Waco,San Antonio,Albany,Ga, Palm Beach, Gulfport,Ms, Houston,Madrid, Spain, Mt Holly, Keflavik, Iceland, Bainbridge,GA, Murphy, N.C, Andrews, N.C., Gainsville, GA, Savannah,GA, Highland Park, Il, Omaha, Mt Holly, Wrightstown, N.J.
I do not think my daughter ever went to the same school for more than 2 years. Really never got to live in the western states What was the best place? Where ever you had the best people to associate with. Happiness is not where you are but who you are and whoever you are with.

john h on 1/03/03 at 15:54 (104732)

Carole i posted about me and my roommate going to New Orleans during college spring break and staying at a frat house at Tulane. We lived on all the shrimp you could eat for $1.00. We drove down from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Spring break back then is sure not like spring break today in Florida. Wow!

nancy s. on 1/03/03 at 17:15 (104735)

you should have waited 24 hours to give everyone a turn here, john. what a bummer.

we could go on to the places you've landed a plane, such as gander, newfoundland.

Nancy N on 1/03/03 at 17:22 (104736)

Yeah, John has put a damper on the whole exercise, I'm afraid. Oh well. We could try to speculate on something else, like which was his favorite place, or how long he spent at each destination--or if there's a place left on earth that he hasn't seen and would really like to visit. Any other ideas?

Carole C in NOLA on 1/03/03 at 18:01 (104737)

Any break in New Orleans is dimensions beyond any break in Florida, John. Unless, of course, I'm just the teensiest bit biased? LOL

You would not BELIEVE the gumbo that Frank and I had at Mandina's restaurant on Canal Street last week. It was just 'to die for'... :)

Carole C

john h on 1/03/03 at 18:33 (104740)

Many times in Gander, Goose Bay, Labrador, and Harmon AFB in New Foundland. Winters are tough up there and the people equally tough. Those were jumping off points for transatlantic flights for fighters and larger aircraft when you needed to take on fuel. Big fishing areas with small boats that go far out into the Atlantic and encounter 'The Perfect Storm'. Probably one of the more dangerous jobs in the world.

Re: What kinds of airplanes did John fly?

marie e on 1/03/03 at 18:42 (104741)

I am new to the boards and all this fun information about John has got me curious. Has John ever said what kinds of airplanes and or jets he flew. I married into a airplane/airport family....My husband's grandparents were married in a plane in the 20s. John you have to give everyone 10 hours to answer before you tell us and spoil the flow. LOL

marie

Carole C in NOLA on 1/03/03 at 19:54 (104747)

I have to admit that despite buying the DVD of 'The Perfect Storm' last summer, I haven't been able to finish it. The scenes at sea are so realistic. I feel like I'm there.

Carole C

Nancy N on 1/03/03 at 20:21 (104749)

I'm with you, Carole. That movie is not on my list to see because I just don't think I could ever go near water again if I saw it. Same with Castaway--sorry, but I need to be able to get on a plane in the future. Maybe if I got it on DVD and could just skip that whole scene very easily, without having to fast-forward. But I have a lot of trouble with movies that involve long periods under water (I catch myself instinctively holding my breath) or other disasters. I have only seen the end of Titanic--and that only because I was at a neighbor's--and that was more than enough for me. I love the water, as long as my head is above it.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/03/03 at 20:46 (104750)

Castaway was all right, at least for me. But you know, the sea is so powerful, and in The Perfect Storm it is right THERE and gets to me on a gut level somehow. I managed to watch it until people were in the water. The Titanic was really corny and that gave me more problems than the water, in that film. LOL

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/03/03 at 20:46 (104751)

ok, has john been to tibet?
how about old orchard beach, maine?
or mexican hat, utah?

Nancy N on 1/03/03 at 20:51 (104752)

Titanic's corniness was obvious from the TV ads, which is why I never had any desire to see it. I'm still shocked and disappointed that it won Best Picture that year, and all on the strength of teenage hormones. And that Celine Dion song would be a great way for someone to torture me, if they ever felt the need.

I imagine, like you, that I'd be able to watch Perfect Storm until people were in the water. Then I'd start feeling like I couldn't breathe.

nancy s. on 1/03/03 at 20:54 (104753)

yah, when i was in newfoundland people's entire lives revolved around fish. fishing was the basis of their economy, and they were poor; it could only be worse now, i'm afraid.

if you were a man, you went out on a fishing boat every day. the women worked in the fish plants at night. the kids dried squid in the backyard.

they had never heard of vegetables (ok, they probably had, but vegetables were nowhere to be found).

i'm sure 'the perfect storm' wouldn't deter them in the least.

they were some of the warmest, gutsiest, funniest people i've ever met.

nancy

nancy s. on 1/03/03 at 20:57 (104754)

marie, john flew planes during the vietnam war. i don't remember the names/types of them. but i think he must've been doing it for about fifty years (the war did seem long, but i didn't think it was THAT long!), because anytime anyone mentions a place name on this board, john has been there and throws a scrap or two of different information about it out to us homebodies.

nancy

nancy s. on 1/03/03 at 21:04 (104755)

i'm with you guys on 'titanic.' what a major disappointment. it was SO turn-of-this-century hollywood; you'd think the stars were at a party somewhere in beverly hills. i don't think anything will ever match 'a night to remember,' made i think in 1954.

nancy

wendyn on 1/04/03 at 00:11 (104768)

I never saw the Titanic - already know how it ends.

nancy s. on 1/04/03 at 00:23 (104771)

aw wendy: did that keep you from seeing 'All the President's Men,' 'JFK,' 'Schindler's List,' and a million other movies? i guess you can tell, though, that whatever kept you from seeing 'titanic' was a good thing.

nancy

Kathy G on 1/04/03 at 09:04 (104787)

John forgot to mention that he was stationed on the Cape (MA) for a while. How could he forget a wonderful place like the Cape?

As to 'A Perfect Storm', I just love the movie and have watched it four or five times. I also read the book. Being from New England, I guess I have more than the usual interest. My family used to visit Gloucester when I was a kid and we've brought our children there as well. We recognized many of the scenes in the movie. And of course, we remembered that particular storm and when the ship went missing.

Last year, we went back to Gloucester for the first time in a few years and it's so strange that now they have a monument with a list of the names of all the fishermen who have gone down with their ships since they started keeping records. My father used to tell me stories about them and I relayed them to my children but now it's all there in black and white. It's amazing how the same family surname keeps popping up.

These people fish and their children and grandchildren fish and it just keeps on going. It's a rough life that I can't imagine choosing and it's getting harder and harder for them to survive economically. Our government has done the right thing by setting limits and protecting Georgias' Banks but they aren't keeping out the international fishermen who are devastating the fish population, nor are they compensating the fishermen whose take has been dramatically reduced.

Aside from all the serious talk about the subject, who could possibly skip a movie with George Clooney in it?

john h on 1/04/03 at 09:24 (104792)

I do not think anyone knows what I flew Marie but here goes: DC-6, Convair 440, DC-3, B-25, T-28, T-34, F-89, F-94, T-33, U6-A Beaver, H-19 Helicopter, HH-43B helicopter, UH1 Huey helicopter, CH-3C helicopter. I was a fully qualified pilot or Aircraft Commander in those aircraft. I was never A/C qualified but flew many flights in the co-pilot seat in the B-50,B-52, KC-135, O-2, C-130 and a few civilian light aircraft and yes I miss flying.

wendyn on 1/04/03 at 09:36 (104797)

Maybe Nancy - since I've never seen any of them.....(never quite thought of it that way).

I guess I never saw Titanic, because I knew it ended badly. Figured it would be just too sad.

john h on 1/04/03 at 10:39 (104805)

Nancy: Tibet no but Burma yes and many times to Bangor which as Nancy S probably knows had a fighter squadron. I did the Mexican hat dance in Matamors, Mexico as all the Texas girls know was once referred to as Boys Town. I am a nut about Mt Everest and read all the books and stories about it and watch all the TV specials. One of my favorite books 'Into Thin Air'. Would I like to go to Tibet you bet I would. I could never make it to the top of Everest as a helcopter cannot even fly that high at nearly 30.000 feet but I bet I could make it to base camp. I crossed over the real Bridge Over The River Kwai into Burmal The bridge is nothing like in the movie but just a small bridge perhaps spanning 300-400 feet. The jungle is not very thick there but there is a lovely British Cemetary near there with many of the soldiers who died building that bridge. I remember one marker in particular that had the words or very close to these 'Here lies a British Soldier who will forever be a part of Britian'. My best dance is still the Hokey Pokey..

john h on 1/04/03 at 10:46 (104808)

Carole those boat pictures you posted in the gulf looked like the boat was about the same size as one of those fishing trawlers in The Perfect Storm.. I often observed them in the stormy north atlantic hundreds of miles out at sea with enoromus waves and swells. How you keep from getting sick in that I have no idea. Those guys have to be some kind of tough. I did in fact read that this is one of the most dangerous jobs in the world.

john h on 1/04/03 at 10:50 (104810)

Good description of the people in Newfoundland Nancy. You need to add that the winters are not the best in the world either and the winds can really howl there. I would fly a fighter into there and buy fresh lobster and place it in an empty external fuel tank and fly them back to New Jersey with about 5 hours from that lobster being in the sea to sitting on my table. Do you have a lot of access to fresh lobster where you live? If so is it very expensive?

nancy s. on 1/04/03 at 11:31 (104816)

you're right, the winters in newfoundland can be horrendous. even in september, when i was there, a few large icebergs were floating around out beyond the coves.

yes, fresh lobster can be found easily around here. i have no idea what price it goes for these days, since i never order it, but i know it's high compared to just about anything else a person could eat. i always feel sorry for the live lobsters in the tanks in the stores!

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/04/03 at 12:08 (104819)

The vessel I was on is 182' long with a 36' beam. It's probably larger than the fishing trawlers in The Perfect Storm but it's amazing how small a vessel can feel out in the middle of it. For a while during this last cruise, we all stayed inside due to the rough seas. We could hear the hull being slammed hard by each wave and everything would shudder. Though most of the furniture was secured, some of it got tossed around anyway including a heavy picnic table topside. We eventually came in close to land for a couple of days to get away from the rough seas and there we waited for them to subside. They did not and eventually had to go back out.

Some people get seasick, and some don't. Even some oceanographers get sick and can't go to sea. Luckily I don't get sick (yet), but when I'm going on a working cruise I take along some over the counter seasick medication just in case. This last time when we were in 12' plus seas out in the middle of the Gulf, I was one of just a few that didn't get sick at all including the crew. I gave my seasick meds to an oceanographer who didn't think he'd get sick but got terribly sick. It's a good way to make friends for life, not only with him but with his roommates, who were surviving on long naps in the television lounge due to the smell in their cabin. (grin)

Carole C

marie e on 1/04/03 at 13:18 (104828)

WOW, COOL! My husband's mouth just dropped. His grandfather started an airport in our county in 1930. The airport stayed in the family until 1998 when his father retired. Of all the airplanes you mentioned the only ones that came to the airport were DC3s, T28s, and Beavers. Many celebrities have flown into the airport.....John Travolta took his parents by surprise when he got a ride in a freinds P57. My husband's favorite celebrity was Lassie....he was surprised to find out that there were 4 Lassies and they were all boys. My father-in-law gave Mary Schavio (I may not have her name spelled correct) her first airplane ride when she was 10 years old. She was hooked, we see her often on the news.

Later

Suzanne D on 1/04/03 at 13:46 (104832)

Wow, John! That was an education in itself for your daughter - living in all those places.

And I like your quote: 'Happiness is not where you are but who you are and whoever you are with'. That's one to remember.

Suzanne :-)

Re: places John forgot to mention

Scott R on 1/04/03 at 14:01 (104833)

John forgot to mention that he's also been to Destin FL, Woodbury NJ, St. Louis MO, and a few others.

john h on 1/04/03 at 15:20 (104838)

John Travolta is really into flying in a big way and has thousands of hours. I do not know how many jets he owns but he flys them all and I am sure must have an Air Transport rating. I have heard him talk about flying on many occasions and you can tell that his favorite thing to do. What a lucky gy to own and fly his own jet. The old DC-3 is still out there flying and must be 70 plus years old by now. It is one tough bird. We actually used it as a gunship like the C-130 in Vietnam. I flew one from Iceland to Goose Bay with internal fuel tanks which is a mighty long haul for a DC-3. The was the pride of the fleet for most airlines in the late 30's and 40's and still the primary transport in WWII. I have seen them in almost every country I have ever been in. Most people do not know that our B-52's are now 50 years old and still one of the most awsome aircraft in the air. they now drop smart bombs and missiles from hundreds of miles away from the target.

john h on 1/04/03 at 15:22 (104839)

And Scott you did not tell me your war stories about you trip to Destin this summer. I know we were in the area at about the same time. Where did you stay? We lucked out and had clear weather all week and temps in the mid 80's and not a lot of tourist traffic.

JudyS on 1/04/03 at 16:29 (104842)

I'VE been to Old Orchard Beach, Maine! :)

JudyS on 1/04/03 at 16:30 (104843)

Nancy S - 'A Night to Remember' hit me so hard as a young teenager that I couldn't bear to see the contemporary 'Titanic'.....I suspect nothing could compare.

BrianG on 1/04/03 at 17:25 (104847)

There is no way he could have missed Subic Bay, P.I. :*)

john h on 1/04/03 at 18:13 (104851)

ok where is Old Orchard beach and what is there? water has to be cold.

nancy s. on 1/04/03 at 19:26 (104856)

judy, 'a night to remember' hit me very hard too. i guess no one else here has seen it? i saw it on television at my grandparents' house when i was about 7 or 8. i was there for an overnight and was so upset by the ending that i threw up all night! boy were they sorry they'd let me watch that movie. i guess i let myself be dragged to the recent 'titanic' because surely it couldn't be as good as or carry the impact of 'a night to remember,' which turned out to be true. the book is good too, in case you haven't read it -- but maybe don't subject yourself....

nancy

nancy s. on 1/04/03 at 19:34 (104857)

you're kidding, john, right? old orchard beach is where i live. 20 miles south of portland, maine, on the coast.

what is here? a long pier with a long history; a lot of seedy but fun joints open only in the summer, including tattoo parlors, palm readers, and pubs galore; an amusement park; the beach and the water. and my antiques shop! although i'm 3/4 mile away from the hubbub, thank god! 8,000 y ear-round residents.

yes, the water is cold. on new year's day they had the annual 'lobster dip' here on the beach very near our house. it's always been in south portland, but the crowds have become too large and they moved it to OOB this year for the first time. in the lobster dip, people run into the ocean, get fully wet, frolic for maybe half a second, and get out. it raises money for charity. this year on new year's day for the lobster dip the water was 42 degrees. 315 people took the dip.

this past summer was so hot that even i went swimming in the ocean. the water temp for about a week in august was 72 degrees. it was unbelievably wonderful. i didn't want to come out.

nancy

john h on 1/06/03 at 08:46 (104944)

Brian: Have you been to Subic Bay? Yes I went through jungle survial training near there in 1968. You know Clark is now under about 3 feet of volcanic ash and was totally destroyed by the big erruption some years ago. I will send you my shuterfly URL where you can see some of my pictures at jungle survial near subic bay. We had some of those little local tribesman searching for us. They actually could smell you from some distance just like a dog.

BrianG on 1/06/03 at 17:34 (104972)

Yes, I was at Subic Bay, a couple times, about 1968. I didn't know it was known for little tribesmen, but now that you mention it, I think they were hawking in front of every little bar you walked by. 'Hey sailor, you like ... (fill in the blank)?' They had it all: girls, pot, pills, marinated monkey meat on a stick :*) :*) :*)

Clark AFB was very active then. I remember taking a cab over there to the enlisted men's club, and watching the jets, coming and going.

I had good feet then!
BrianG

JudyS on 1/03/03 at 12:55 (104712)

6. Stationed and/or visited England
7. visited Haight Ashbury
8. Stationed on the North Pole (or somewhere therabouts)
9. Chicago
10. Texas
11. Georgia?

Clearly I've been listening to John h for a long time!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/03/03 at 14:15 (104718)

In his posts he's reminisced about a visit to New Orleans some time in the distant past... :)

He was in England for a while when he was in the military, I think?

Carole C

john h on 1/03/03 at 15:50 (104730)

A few you missed Nancy: Denver,Cheyenne,Wichita,Lubbock,Wichita Falls, Harlingen,Waco,San Antonio,Albany,Ga, Palm Beach, Gulfport,Ms, Houston,Madrid, Spain, Mt Holly, Keflavik, Iceland, Bainbridge,GA, Murphy, N.C, Andrews, N.C., Gainsville, GA, Savannah,GA, Highland Park, Il, Omaha, Mt Holly, Wrightstown, N.J.
I do not think my daughter ever went to the same school for more than 2 years. Really never got to live in the western states What was the best place? Where ever you had the best people to associate with. Happiness is not where you are but who you are and whoever you are with.

john h on 1/03/03 at 15:54 (104732)

Carole i posted about me and my roommate going to New Orleans during college spring break and staying at a frat house at Tulane. We lived on all the shrimp you could eat for $1.00. We drove down from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Spring break back then is sure not like spring break today in Florida. Wow!

nancy s. on 1/03/03 at 17:15 (104735)

you should have waited 24 hours to give everyone a turn here, john. what a bummer.

we could go on to the places you've landed a plane, such as gander, newfoundland.

Nancy N on 1/03/03 at 17:22 (104736)

Yeah, John has put a damper on the whole exercise, I'm afraid. Oh well. We could try to speculate on something else, like which was his favorite place, or how long he spent at each destination--or if there's a place left on earth that he hasn't seen and would really like to visit. Any other ideas?

Carole C in NOLA on 1/03/03 at 18:01 (104737)

Any break in New Orleans is dimensions beyond any break in Florida, John. Unless, of course, I'm just the teensiest bit biased? LOL

You would not BELIEVE the gumbo that Frank and I had at Mandina's restaurant on Canal Street last week. It was just 'to die for'... :)

Carole C

john h on 1/03/03 at 18:33 (104740)

Many times in Gander, Goose Bay, Labrador, and Harmon AFB in New Foundland. Winters are tough up there and the people equally tough. Those were jumping off points for transatlantic flights for fighters and larger aircraft when you needed to take on fuel. Big fishing areas with small boats that go far out into the Atlantic and encounter 'The Perfect Storm'. Probably one of the more dangerous jobs in the world.

marie e on 1/03/03 at 18:42 (104741)

I am new to the boards and all this fun information about John has got me curious. Has John ever said what kinds of airplanes and or jets he flew. I married into a airplane/airport family....My husband's grandparents were married in a plane in the 20s. John you have to give everyone 10 hours to answer before you tell us and spoil the flow. LOL

marie

Carole C in NOLA on 1/03/03 at 19:54 (104747)

I have to admit that despite buying the DVD of 'The Perfect Storm' last summer, I haven't been able to finish it. The scenes at sea are so realistic. I feel like I'm there.

Carole C

Nancy N on 1/03/03 at 20:21 (104749)

I'm with you, Carole. That movie is not on my list to see because I just don't think I could ever go near water again if I saw it. Same with Castaway--sorry, but I need to be able to get on a plane in the future. Maybe if I got it on DVD and could just skip that whole scene very easily, without having to fast-forward. But I have a lot of trouble with movies that involve long periods under water (I catch myself instinctively holding my breath) or other disasters. I have only seen the end of Titanic--and that only because I was at a neighbor's--and that was more than enough for me. I love the water, as long as my head is above it.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/03/03 at 20:46 (104750)

Castaway was all right, at least for me. But you know, the sea is so powerful, and in The Perfect Storm it is right THERE and gets to me on a gut level somehow. I managed to watch it until people were in the water. The Titanic was really corny and that gave me more problems than the water, in that film. LOL

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/03/03 at 20:46 (104751)

ok, has john been to tibet?
how about old orchard beach, maine?
or mexican hat, utah?

Nancy N on 1/03/03 at 20:51 (104752)

Titanic's corniness was obvious from the TV ads, which is why I never had any desire to see it. I'm still shocked and disappointed that it won Best Picture that year, and all on the strength of teenage hormones. And that Celine Dion song would be a great way for someone to torture me, if they ever felt the need.

I imagine, like you, that I'd be able to watch Perfect Storm until people were in the water. Then I'd start feeling like I couldn't breathe.

nancy s. on 1/03/03 at 20:54 (104753)

yah, when i was in newfoundland people's entire lives revolved around fish. fishing was the basis of their economy, and they were poor; it could only be worse now, i'm afraid.

if you were a man, you went out on a fishing boat every day. the women worked in the fish plants at night. the kids dried squid in the backyard.

they had never heard of vegetables (ok, they probably had, but vegetables were nowhere to be found).

i'm sure 'the perfect storm' wouldn't deter them in the least.

they were some of the warmest, gutsiest, funniest people i've ever met.

nancy

nancy s. on 1/03/03 at 20:57 (104754)

marie, john flew planes during the vietnam war. i don't remember the names/types of them. but i think he must've been doing it for about fifty years (the war did seem long, but i didn't think it was THAT long!), because anytime anyone mentions a place name on this board, john has been there and throws a scrap or two of different information about it out to us homebodies.

nancy

nancy s. on 1/03/03 at 21:04 (104755)

i'm with you guys on 'titanic.' what a major disappointment. it was SO turn-of-this-century hollywood; you'd think the stars were at a party somewhere in beverly hills. i don't think anything will ever match 'a night to remember,' made i think in 1954.

nancy

wendyn on 1/04/03 at 00:11 (104768)

I never saw the Titanic - already know how it ends.

nancy s. on 1/04/03 at 00:23 (104771)

aw wendy: did that keep you from seeing 'All the President's Men,' 'JFK,' 'Schindler's List,' and a million other movies? i guess you can tell, though, that whatever kept you from seeing 'titanic' was a good thing.

nancy

Kathy G on 1/04/03 at 09:04 (104787)

John forgot to mention that he was stationed on the Cape (MA) for a while. How could he forget a wonderful place like the Cape?

As to 'A Perfect Storm', I just love the movie and have watched it four or five times. I also read the book. Being from New England, I guess I have more than the usual interest. My family used to visit Gloucester when I was a kid and we've brought our children there as well. We recognized many of the scenes in the movie. And of course, we remembered that particular storm and when the ship went missing.

Last year, we went back to Gloucester for the first time in a few years and it's so strange that now they have a monument with a list of the names of all the fishermen who have gone down with their ships since they started keeping records. My father used to tell me stories about them and I relayed them to my children but now it's all there in black and white. It's amazing how the same family surname keeps popping up.

These people fish and their children and grandchildren fish and it just keeps on going. It's a rough life that I can't imagine choosing and it's getting harder and harder for them to survive economically. Our government has done the right thing by setting limits and protecting Georgias' Banks but they aren't keeping out the international fishermen who are devastating the fish population, nor are they compensating the fishermen whose take has been dramatically reduced.

Aside from all the serious talk about the subject, who could possibly skip a movie with George Clooney in it?

john h on 1/04/03 at 09:24 (104792)

I do not think anyone knows what I flew Marie but here goes: DC-6, Convair 440, DC-3, B-25, T-28, T-34, F-89, F-94, T-33, U6-A Beaver, H-19 Helicopter, HH-43B helicopter, UH1 Huey helicopter, CH-3C helicopter. I was a fully qualified pilot or Aircraft Commander in those aircraft. I was never A/C qualified but flew many flights in the co-pilot seat in the B-50,B-52, KC-135, O-2, C-130 and a few civilian light aircraft and yes I miss flying.

wendyn on 1/04/03 at 09:36 (104797)

Maybe Nancy - since I've never seen any of them.....(never quite thought of it that way).

I guess I never saw Titanic, because I knew it ended badly. Figured it would be just too sad.

john h on 1/04/03 at 10:39 (104805)

Nancy: Tibet no but Burma yes and many times to Bangor which as Nancy S probably knows had a fighter squadron. I did the Mexican hat dance in Matamors, Mexico as all the Texas girls know was once referred to as Boys Town. I am a nut about Mt Everest and read all the books and stories about it and watch all the TV specials. One of my favorite books 'Into Thin Air'. Would I like to go to Tibet you bet I would. I could never make it to the top of Everest as a helcopter cannot even fly that high at nearly 30.000 feet but I bet I could make it to base camp. I crossed over the real Bridge Over The River Kwai into Burmal The bridge is nothing like in the movie but just a small bridge perhaps spanning 300-400 feet. The jungle is not very thick there but there is a lovely British Cemetary near there with many of the soldiers who died building that bridge. I remember one marker in particular that had the words or very close to these 'Here lies a British Soldier who will forever be a part of Britian'. My best dance is still the Hokey Pokey..

john h on 1/04/03 at 10:46 (104808)

Carole those boat pictures you posted in the gulf looked like the boat was about the same size as one of those fishing trawlers in The Perfect Storm.. I often observed them in the stormy north atlantic hundreds of miles out at sea with enoromus waves and swells. How you keep from getting sick in that I have no idea. Those guys have to be some kind of tough. I did in fact read that this is one of the most dangerous jobs in the world.

john h on 1/04/03 at 10:50 (104810)

Good description of the people in Newfoundland Nancy. You need to add that the winters are not the best in the world either and the winds can really howl there. I would fly a fighter into there and buy fresh lobster and place it in an empty external fuel tank and fly them back to New Jersey with about 5 hours from that lobster being in the sea to sitting on my table. Do you have a lot of access to fresh lobster where you live? If so is it very expensive?

nancy s. on 1/04/03 at 11:31 (104816)

you're right, the winters in newfoundland can be horrendous. even in september, when i was there, a few large icebergs were floating around out beyond the coves.

yes, fresh lobster can be found easily around here. i have no idea what price it goes for these days, since i never order it, but i know it's high compared to just about anything else a person could eat. i always feel sorry for the live lobsters in the tanks in the stores!

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/04/03 at 12:08 (104819)

The vessel I was on is 182' long with a 36' beam. It's probably larger than the fishing trawlers in The Perfect Storm but it's amazing how small a vessel can feel out in the middle of it. For a while during this last cruise, we all stayed inside due to the rough seas. We could hear the hull being slammed hard by each wave and everything would shudder. Though most of the furniture was secured, some of it got tossed around anyway including a heavy picnic table topside. We eventually came in close to land for a couple of days to get away from the rough seas and there we waited for them to subside. They did not and eventually had to go back out.

Some people get seasick, and some don't. Even some oceanographers get sick and can't go to sea. Luckily I don't get sick (yet), but when I'm going on a working cruise I take along some over the counter seasick medication just in case. This last time when we were in 12' plus seas out in the middle of the Gulf, I was one of just a few that didn't get sick at all including the crew. I gave my seasick meds to an oceanographer who didn't think he'd get sick but got terribly sick. It's a good way to make friends for life, not only with him but with his roommates, who were surviving on long naps in the television lounge due to the smell in their cabin. (grin)

Carole C

marie e on 1/04/03 at 13:18 (104828)

WOW, COOL! My husband's mouth just dropped. His grandfather started an airport in our county in 1930. The airport stayed in the family until 1998 when his father retired. Of all the airplanes you mentioned the only ones that came to the airport were DC3s, T28s, and Beavers. Many celebrities have flown into the airport.....John Travolta took his parents by surprise when he got a ride in a freinds P57. My husband's favorite celebrity was Lassie....he was surprised to find out that there were 4 Lassies and they were all boys. My father-in-law gave Mary Schavio (I may not have her name spelled correct) her first airplane ride when she was 10 years old. She was hooked, we see her often on the news.

Later

Suzanne D on 1/04/03 at 13:46 (104832)

Wow, John! That was an education in itself for your daughter - living in all those places.

And I like your quote: 'Happiness is not where you are but who you are and whoever you are with'. That's one to remember.

Suzanne :-)

Scott R on 1/04/03 at 14:01 (104833)

John forgot to mention that he's also been to Destin FL, Woodbury NJ, St. Louis MO, and a few others.

john h on 1/04/03 at 15:20 (104838)

John Travolta is really into flying in a big way and has thousands of hours. I do not know how many jets he owns but he flys them all and I am sure must have an Air Transport rating. I have heard him talk about flying on many occasions and you can tell that his favorite thing to do. What a lucky gy to own and fly his own jet. The old DC-3 is still out there flying and must be 70 plus years old by now. It is one tough bird. We actually used it as a gunship like the C-130 in Vietnam. I flew one from Iceland to Goose Bay with internal fuel tanks which is a mighty long haul for a DC-3. The was the pride of the fleet for most airlines in the late 30's and 40's and still the primary transport in WWII. I have seen them in almost every country I have ever been in. Most people do not know that our B-52's are now 50 years old and still one of the most awsome aircraft in the air. they now drop smart bombs and missiles from hundreds of miles away from the target.

john h on 1/04/03 at 15:22 (104839)

And Scott you did not tell me your war stories about you trip to Destin this summer. I know we were in the area at about the same time. Where did you stay? We lucked out and had clear weather all week and temps in the mid 80's and not a lot of tourist traffic.

JudyS on 1/04/03 at 16:29 (104842)

I'VE been to Old Orchard Beach, Maine! :)

JudyS on 1/04/03 at 16:30 (104843)

Nancy S - 'A Night to Remember' hit me so hard as a young teenager that I couldn't bear to see the contemporary 'Titanic'.....I suspect nothing could compare.

BrianG on 1/04/03 at 17:25 (104847)

There is no way he could have missed Subic Bay, P.I. :*)

john h on 1/04/03 at 18:13 (104851)

ok where is Old Orchard beach and what is there? water has to be cold.

nancy s. on 1/04/03 at 19:26 (104856)

judy, 'a night to remember' hit me very hard too. i guess no one else here has seen it? i saw it on television at my grandparents' house when i was about 7 or 8. i was there for an overnight and was so upset by the ending that i threw up all night! boy were they sorry they'd let me watch that movie. i guess i let myself be dragged to the recent 'titanic' because surely it couldn't be as good as or carry the impact of 'a night to remember,' which turned out to be true. the book is good too, in case you haven't read it -- but maybe don't subject yourself....

nancy

nancy s. on 1/04/03 at 19:34 (104857)

you're kidding, john, right? old orchard beach is where i live. 20 miles south of portland, maine, on the coast.

what is here? a long pier with a long history; a lot of seedy but fun joints open only in the summer, including tattoo parlors, palm readers, and pubs galore; an amusement park; the beach and the water. and my antiques shop! although i'm 3/4 mile away from the hubbub, thank god! 8,000 y ear-round residents.

yes, the water is cold. on new year's day they had the annual 'lobster dip' here on the beach very near our house. it's always been in south portland, but the crowds have become too large and they moved it to OOB this year for the first time. in the lobster dip, people run into the ocean, get fully wet, frolic for maybe half a second, and get out. it raises money for charity. this year on new year's day for the lobster dip the water was 42 degrees. 315 people took the dip.

this past summer was so hot that even i went swimming in the ocean. the water temp for about a week in august was 72 degrees. it was unbelievably wonderful. i didn't want to come out.

nancy

john h on 1/06/03 at 08:46 (104944)

Brian: Have you been to Subic Bay? Yes I went through jungle survial training near there in 1968. You know Clark is now under about 3 feet of volcanic ash and was totally destroyed by the big erruption some years ago. I will send you my shuterfly URL where you can see some of my pictures at jungle survial near subic bay. We had some of those little local tribesman searching for us. They actually could smell you from some distance just like a dog.

BrianG on 1/06/03 at 17:34 (104972)

Yes, I was at Subic Bay, a couple times, about 1968. I didn't know it was known for little tribesmen, but now that you mention it, I think they were hawking in front of every little bar you walked by. 'Hey sailor, you like ... (fill in the blank)?' They had it all: girls, pot, pills, marinated monkey meat on a stick :*) :*) :*)

Clark AFB was very active then. I remember taking a cab over there to the enlisted men's club, and watching the jets, coming and going.

I had good feet then!
BrianG