Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Have a new kitty....please help me name it.

Posted by marie e on 1/03/03 at 20:04 (104748)

I don't know what it is about me, but stray kitty's have been finding their way to my house no matter where we live for years. I sware people drop them off and whisper in their ear 'third house on the right, SUCKER'.

Well she has been here 3 weeks and she needs a name. She's a very light grey tiger with the yellowest eyes I have ever seen.

I was hoping you could help me.......tell me why you think you have the best name. I have emailed a photo to this message board.

Re: Have a new kitty....please help me name it.

nancy s. on 1/04/03 at 00:43 (104774)

marie, still waiting for scott to post the picture of your new kitty. my sister is just like you, only for her it's 'EIGHTH house on the right, sucker.' we have two of the 100+ feral kitties she has rescued. i named one 'mrs. ramsay,' after a character in a virginia woolf book, though she looks like a ragamuffin tumbleweed and my term of endearment for her is 'mopsy.' the other one my sister called 'oreo,' but i didn't like it and changed it to 'cookie.' actually she looks like a tiny version of a holstein cow. we also have another cat named 'moose.' he is king of this palace and keeps the other two in line, sometimes with only a very meaningful glare.

here are a few names i've always wanted to give to a pet:

spaceshot
cooper
daisy
sneakers
hobby

my sister has off-the-cuff names for many cats in the feral colonies she cares for. one cat she named 'spot,' and another she named 'spotless'!

i've had many cats and dogs, and there was always a reason for the name i picked: 'cadence' (because she liked it when i played the piano); 'webster' (because he liked to hide behind my dictionary stand); 'scout' (because she was nosy); 'peaches' (because it sounded like but was better than her original name of beatrice); 'maggie' (because she reminded me of 'maggie the cat' in 'cat on a hot tin roof'); and so on.

good for you for taking care of lost souls!

nancy
/

carmen on 1/04/03 at 08:34 (104782)

Coming from a person that works on rescue every day for these unwanted fur babies I have to say thank you for taking her in.
I live in a rural community and this happens to purebreed dogs and cats all the time..they just get dumped in the country.
I suggest you put out a sign ona tree facing the road they come in on that says something like ' This road under hidden camera surveillance abandonment of domestic animals is against the law'

And name her 'lucky'. Lucky to have landed on the right door step.

;o)
p.s. get her spayed asap so more unwanted sweeties don't pop up.

john h on 1/04/03 at 09:31 (104795)

Marie: Do not feal like the Lone Ranger with those stray kitties. I am feeding 5 outside right now and have gone to the expense of giving them their shots and neutering them. I am a real sucker and in cat world the word gets around. Once you name them you are hooked. Bob,Gurnsey,Tom,Rocky,and White Paws. I also have my two long time indoor cats. I search for homes and sometimes find them but until then this is home.

Suzanne D on 1/04/03 at 13:43 (104831)

Good idea! Marie's kitty is lucky, so that would be a good name.

And Happy New Year to you, Carmen!

Suzanne :-)

pala on 1/04/03 at 14:40 (104837)

jack kerouac had a little gray cat named ti gris. it is candadian jual (juale? jualle?) for 'little gray' . ti gris shows up in at least one book by him. i kind of like the name cause if you americanise the pronounciation it is like tigress. any canadians or literati know how to spell the canadian french dialect that kerouac used? i gave my cat that name but it devolved to 'kitty' real quick. so it is up for grabs.

JudyS on 1/04/03 at 16:39 (104846)

'Gypsy' - because she meandered about 'til she found you!

SuzanneK on 1/04/03 at 17:34 (104848)

I had a cat that looked very much like yours. Here name was Amanda Blake. She was named for the actress who played Miss Kitty on Gunsmoke. This cat was abandoned, too, and almost starved when she adopted me. Good luck finding just the right name. BTW, my current kitty is Agatha (for Agatha Christie) and I've also had a Josie (short for Jumping Jehosophat!)

Sharon W on 1/05/03 at 14:12 (104895)

I think Suzanne got very close to a good idea. From the picture of your new kitty, she looks like she's covered in rings of smoke. So, how about 'Gunsmoke'?

I liked 'Gypsy,' too.

Sharon

nancy s. on 1/05/03 at 16:15 (104898)

'woodstock' is also a name i've always liked. today 'birkenstock' popped into my head.

nancy

Nancy N on 1/05/03 at 19:52 (104916)

Hee hee :) I like Birkenstock! Very apt.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/05/03 at 20:24 (104922)

If I had a cat named Birkenstock, I'd probably step on her in the middle of the night if I got out of bed. LOL Just joking

Carole C

wendyn on 1/05/03 at 20:53 (104923)

I think Birkenstock is a great name - Birk for short.

john h on 1/06/03 at 08:54 (104948)

I am all for 'birkenstock'. What a great and original name.

JudyS on 1/06/03 at 12:46 (104960)

Birkie for short......

Suzanne D on 1/06/03 at 19:44 (104979)

That's what I was thinking...You know ~ 'Here, Birkie, Birkie...'

nancy s. on 1/04/03 at 00:43 (104774)

marie, still waiting for scott to post the picture of your new kitty. my sister is just like you, only for her it's 'EIGHTH house on the right, sucker.' we have two of the 100+ feral kitties she has rescued. i named one 'mrs. ramsay,' after a character in a virginia woolf book, though she looks like a ragamuffin tumbleweed and my term of endearment for her is 'mopsy.' the other one my sister called 'oreo,' but i didn't like it and changed it to 'cookie.' actually she looks like a tiny version of a holstein cow. we also have another cat named 'moose.' he is king of this palace and keeps the other two in line, sometimes with only a very meaningful glare.

here are a few names i've always wanted to give to a pet:

spaceshot
cooper
daisy
sneakers
hobby

my sister has off-the-cuff names for many cats in the feral colonies she cares for. one cat she named 'spot,' and another she named 'spotless'!

i've had many cats and dogs, and there was always a reason for the name i picked: 'cadence' (because she liked it when i played the piano); 'webster' (because he liked to hide behind my dictionary stand); 'scout' (because she was nosy); 'peaches' (because it sounded like but was better than her original name of beatrice); 'maggie' (because she reminded me of 'maggie the cat' in 'cat on a hot tin roof'); and so on.

good for you for taking care of lost souls!

nancy
/

carmen on 1/04/03 at 08:34 (104782)

Coming from a person that works on rescue every day for these unwanted fur babies I have to say thank you for taking her in.
I live in a rural community and this happens to purebreed dogs and cats all the time..they just get dumped in the country.
I suggest you put out a sign ona tree facing the road they come in on that says something like ' This road under hidden camera surveillance abandonment of domestic animals is against the law'

And name her 'lucky'. Lucky to have landed on the right door step.

;o)
p.s. get her spayed asap so more unwanted sweeties don't pop up.

john h on 1/04/03 at 09:31 (104795)

Marie: Do not feal like the Lone Ranger with those stray kitties. I am feeding 5 outside right now and have gone to the expense of giving them their shots and neutering them. I am a real sucker and in cat world the word gets around. Once you name them you are hooked. Bob,Gurnsey,Tom,Rocky,and White Paws. I also have my two long time indoor cats. I search for homes and sometimes find them but until then this is home.

Suzanne D on 1/04/03 at 13:43 (104831)

Good idea! Marie's kitty is lucky, so that would be a good name.

And Happy New Year to you, Carmen!

pala on 1/04/03 at 14:40 (104837)

jack kerouac had a little gray cat named ti gris. it is candadian jual (juale? jualle?) for 'little gray' . ti gris shows up in at least one book by him. i kind of like the name cause if you americanise the pronounciation it is like tigress. any canadians or literati know how to spell the canadian french dialect that kerouac used? i gave my cat that name but it devolved to 'kitty' real quick. so it is up for grabs.

JudyS on 1/04/03 at 16:39 (104846)

'Gypsy' - because she meandered about 'til she found you!

SuzanneK on 1/04/03 at 17:34 (104848)

I had a cat that looked very much like yours. Here name was Amanda Blake. She was named for the actress who played Miss Kitty on Gunsmoke. This cat was abandoned, too, and almost starved when she adopted me. Good luck finding just the right name. BTW, my current kitty is Agatha (for Agatha Christie) and I've also had a Josie (short for Jumping Jehosophat!)

Sharon W on 1/05/03 at 14:12 (104895)

I think Suzanne got very close to a good idea. From the picture of your new kitty, she looks like she's covered in rings of smoke. So, how about 'Gunsmoke'?

I liked 'Gypsy,' too.

Sharon

nancy s. on 1/05/03 at 16:15 (104898)

'woodstock' is also a name i've always liked. today 'birkenstock' popped into my head.

nancy

Nancy N on 1/05/03 at 19:52 (104916)

Hee hee :) I like Birkenstock! Very apt.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/05/03 at 20:24 (104922)

If I had a cat named Birkenstock, I'd probably step on her in the middle of the night if I got out of bed. LOL Just joking

Carole C

wendyn on 1/05/03 at 20:53 (104923)

I think Birkenstock is a great name - Birk for short.

john h on 1/06/03 at 08:54 (104948)

I am all for 'birkenstock'. What a great and original name.

JudyS on 1/06/03 at 12:46 (104960)

Birkie for short......

Suzanne D on 1/06/03 at 19:44 (104979)

That's what I was thinking...You know ~ 'Here, Birkie, Birkie...'