Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Worse pain after sitting

Posted by Steve M on 1/04/03 at 19:23 (104855)

I have written before. I have been suffering with PF on and off for 3 years. I do all the recommend stuff, And have got it somewhat under control. I have one question. I just returned from a 10 day vacation. and the PF did not hurt at all. But as soon as I was back at work, working at a desk on a computer my feet started hurting again. On vacation I walked a lot, swam a lot and was in no pain but as soon as I was back at my desk the burning began in my arches again. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks

Re: Worse pain after sitting

Andrue on 1/05/03 at 08:37 (104881)

Yes. I often find that when I'm sitting I get various minor twinges from my feet. It's most likely when my ankles are at 90 degrees. It's not so bad at the moment but six months ago I used to get up and go for a walk to get some relief!

I have hardly ever had 'pain after rest'. My pain simply comes from pressure on certain parts of my feet. As long as I can avoid pressing those places I can do anything I want. Likely it is swelling but nothing I have done so far has got rid of it. I am seeing an Orthopaedic Surgeon week after next to see if he can find an explanation.

At present I am back to wearing slippers as they are avoiding any pressure points and my feet seem a lot happier.

Sharon W on 1/06/03 at 09:23 (104949)

Sitting puts your legs in a position that hinders circulation -- especially if you sit in the same position for a long time. That is why so many people get circulation problems (and sometimes even develop blood clots!) from long plane flights. Poor circulation increases swelling in the feet and calves -- and if you have PF, that is a really bad thing...

Perhaps the same advice they give to airline passengers would be helpful --get up and walk around sometimes. Also, Julie (I believe it was) posted some really good information a couple of months ago, concerning the proper position for sitting and what NOT to do with your feet while you sit. Perhaps, if you make a post to her on the 'treatments' board, she'll enlighten you on the subject.

Sharon

Andrue on 1/05/03 at 08:37 (104881)

Yes. I often find that when I'm sitting I get various minor twinges from my feet. It's most likely when my ankles are at 90 degrees. It's not so bad at the moment but six months ago I used to get up and go for a walk to get some relief!

I have hardly ever had 'pain after rest'. My pain simply comes from pressure on certain parts of my feet. As long as I can avoid pressing those places I can do anything I want. Likely it is swelling but nothing I have done so far has got rid of it. I am seeing an Orthopaedic Surgeon week after next to see if he can find an explanation.

At present I am back to wearing slippers as they are avoiding any pressure points and my feet seem a lot happier.

Sharon W on 1/06/03 at 09:23 (104949)

Sitting puts your legs in a position that hinders circulation -- especially if you sit in the same position for a long time. That is why so many people get circulation problems (and sometimes even develop blood clots!) from long plane flights. Poor circulation increases swelling in the feet and calves -- and if you have PF, that is a really bad thing...

Perhaps the same advice they give to airline passengers would be helpful --get up and walk around sometimes. Also, Julie (I believe it was) posted some really good information a couple of months ago, concerning the proper position for sitting and what NOT to do with your feet while you sit. Perhaps, if you make a post to her on the 'treatments' board, she'll enlighten you on the subject.

Sharon