Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr. Z. question

Posted by Cherie on 1/04/03 at 20:06 (104859)

Dr. Z. I was wondering if you could tell me what could possibly cause the swelling in the joint beneath my big toe from the tibial nerve injury that I have. I know you have answered so many questions for me about my problem, but I was wondering what could cause all the swelling. It has been 8 wks since the block and the swelling has been there for at least 5-6 wks. It is very painful to walk on which is why I weat the boot and my toe get very stiff as well as hypersensitive. Please tell me if this situation can heal itself, or will it require surgery. I don't go to the doctor for another week and I'm so worried about the RDS possibility. I know the nerve runs down there, but what would cause it to swell and become hard. Thanks so much....Cherie

Re: Dr. Z. question

Dr. Z on 1/04/03 at 20:34 (104861)

This has me baffled. That is why I want the both feet x-ray's . You may have a stress fracture that was there before the procedure or developed after the procedure. You could have a tear in the FHL/brevis tendon. I will love to beable to examine you but your are too far away. So my guess is one of the of the following
1. Tendonitis
2 Sesamoiditis
3 Stress fracture
4 Maybe RSD ( maybe
5. Joint capsulitis secondary to shifting your weight away from your heal.
6. May be a ligament, tendon tear.

Cherie on 1/04/03 at 22:15 (104869)

My bone scan showed nothing but a 3-4 mm punctate cyst in that area which my pain mgmt doctor said would probably not cause this problem. The MRI, Bone scan and xray were all normal in this area. Can this swelling go down by itself, it does not seem to be lessening. Would ice help reduce the size?? The only treatment I am on is to weat the boot, desensitize the foot as often as possible and come back in 3 wks. Cherie

Dr. Z on 1/04/03 at 22:45 (104872)

I would have to examine the foot in order to determine where the pain and swelling is coming from. A MRI in this area may miss the problem . In the mean time ice is good. Physical Therapy may hel. Time will help . Very important to find out why ???

Dr. Z on 1/04/03 at 20:34 (104861)

This has me baffled. That is why I want the both feet x-ray's . You may have a stress fracture that was there before the procedure or developed after the procedure. You could have a tear in the FHL/brevis tendon. I will love to beable to examine you but your are too far away. So my guess is one of the of the following
1. Tendonitis
2 Sesamoiditis
3 Stress fracture
4 Maybe RSD ( maybe
5. Joint capsulitis secondary to shifting your weight away from your heal.
6. May be a ligament, tendon tear.

Cherie on 1/04/03 at 22:15 (104869)

My bone scan showed nothing but a 3-4 mm punctate cyst in that area which my pain mgmt doctor said would probably not cause this problem. The MRI, Bone scan and xray were all normal in this area. Can this swelling go down by itself, it does not seem to be lessening. Would ice help reduce the size?? The only treatment I am on is to weat the boot, desensitize the foot as often as possible and come back in 3 wks. Cherie

Dr. Z on 1/04/03 at 22:45 (104872)

I would have to examine the foot in order to determine where the pain and swelling is coming from. A MRI in this area may miss the problem . In the mean time ice is good. Physical Therapy may hel. Time will help . Very important to find out why ???