Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

rats!

Posted by pala on 1/04/03 at 20:17 (104860)

yup we got us some. in our house! three useless cats watch them stroll to the cat food bowl on the porch. we tried the poison. didn't do the trick. any ideas out there?

Re: rats!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/04/03 at 20:40 (104862)

Call an exterminator! Rats carry all sorts of diseases so you want to get rid of them fast. It's cheapest in the long run to pay for an exterminator.

Carole C

pala on 1/04/03 at 20:50 (104863)

actually i called the cdc and talked to their rat expert. she said it is mice that carry many diseases. rats are relatively disease free where i live. she was extremely unconcered about rats. then again i suppose the ebola expert at the cdc is very casual about ebola. these scientists are a hardy breed. i , on the other hand, don't like this one bit. i live in a renovating ghetto and there are just rats everywhere in this neighborhood. i'll call an exterminator unless others here have solved this problem themselves and have ideas for me.

marie e on 1/04/03 at 21:31 (104864)

Plal,

Most cats won't tackle a rat, unless you get a large mean, hungry cat. Rats are nasty. When I was a kid we had 3 that chewed through the bottom of the house from the crawl space. They came in under the frig...convinient. We tried everything traps, poison, and our cat ,Tarzan, wanted nothing to do with them. So much for the king of the jungle. Finally my parents called animal control...they had the day off so two policemen showed up. When they drew their guns I was out of there. They asked my Dad for a hammer. After alot of yelling and loud noises the rats were no more. Try a hammer...it worked for those two brave policemen.

pala on 1/04/03 at 21:41 (104865)

well thanks for the suggestion but i don't really see myself in hand to paw combat with a rat. altho last nite when it was making noise behind the wall i threw a book i was reading about buddhism . i think i have not quite gotten the philosophy down.

Re: Diseases carried by rats in the Atlanta area

Carole C in NOLA on 1/04/03 at 22:41 (104870)

Here's an article that might be interesting to you, concerning the rat problem in the Atlanta area.

http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/2000-12-02/cover.html

It mentions a number of serious diseases that rats in your area carry, including hantavirus and leptospirosis, and the number of diseases approaches 100. Many other sources list the numerous diseases transmitted by rats; the transmission of diseases from rats to humans is not a matter of contention within the public health community.

It also discusses the problem of rats in Atlanta, and the best ways to get rid of the rats that are common in Atlanta. I hope this is helpful to you.

If I were in your situation I would still call an exterminator, since they have persisted despite trying a few things on your own.

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/04/03 at 23:18 (104873)

ya gotta love it: 'hand to paw combat with a rat.' again, to repeat myself: lol! also, i feel a poem coming on. don't worry about the buddhist philosophy -- it's very good, but phil is a buddhist and so we have several buddhist friends, and i can confirm that they all behave like human beings. phil, in what he calls his 'young and stupid' days, once threw a guy's tv set out the window. he was in a very bad mood, because the guy was in a very bad mood. they were both buddhists.

nancy
good luck with those rats.

pala on 1/04/03 at 23:19 (104874)

hey thanks for the article. it was heartening to read that the cdc rat expert who was quoted in the article also has rats in his house in a very exclusive atlanta neighborhood that he can't completely eliminate. and the exterminator in the article said he probably can't get completely rid of them . it sounds like the atlanta rats are winning. it was also interesting to see that the poison loses effect. i don't feel like such a loser. i guess the thing to do is just keep at it. our mistake was when we got it under contol a few years ago we thought it was over. we have to attack this problem as a regular part of life: stretch calf muscles, set trap, stretch calf muscles, set trap. day after day. forever. isn't life great?

pala on 1/04/03 at 23:21 (104875)

lol right back at you, they were both buddhists. well i hope to soon be a rat murdering buddhist and to heck with the karma.

marie e on 1/05/03 at 09:24 (104882)

I have spoken to friends that have told me that a small dog can deter rats. Dogs don't like them in the house or yard.....dogs aren't fond of invaders in general. It may be worht checking into if you have the space and time for a dog.

I have had two cats that have taken on rats and won. Both were standard tabies. Both females with attitude.

We live in a 100 year old victorian home. The house next to us is owned by the historical society. The society hadn't taken very good care of the place mostly due to funding and lack of young members. The carridge barn behind the house was also in ill repair and the back yard was a jungle. The day, Hannah, my taby cat came over our fence with a rat in her mouth that was it. I gave my kids hatchets and axes and we went to work on the yard at the museum. Six years later the museum is back to its once splendid self. More people began to volunteer as they watched us toil in the yard. Hannah patrols on a regular basis. This why so many people drop their unwanted felines off...they see the barn behind the museum and think their cats will love it there and leave them. I haven't seen any rats since.....but we have trapped a giant coon, skunk and opposum in the house and barn. Still have some flying rodents in the barn. So you see wild critters will get in whenever there isn't anything to deter them.

pala on 1/05/03 at 09:42 (104887)

with what kind of trap?

Re: live traps

marie e on 1/05/03 at 10:24 (104889)

live traps. We called DNR (department of natural resources)and they referred us to a gentleman that specializes in critter removal. He baited and set all the traps inside and out. We wanted live traps because we were afraid someones cat might wonder into it. Once the critter was caught he disposed of it. You may consider calling DNR for information on traps. The trap was actually to small for the coon and it put up a vicious fight once it was trapped....destroyed alot of old uphostered pieces in the room the trap was in.

Re: Here's a rat story for you that is funny now but wasn't then!

Suzanne D on 1/05/03 at 18:19 (104913)

We have had mice in the house but never rats. However, the fields on all sides of us out here in the country are good places for them, and we have seen an occasional one in the old shed in the backyard.

Here is the true story that my girls and I will never forget: one morning 10 years ago in the fall, my daughters and I started out on our 25 mile trip to where I then taught and they went to school. I drove 15 miles until I stopped at a traffic light. I turned to say something to my older daughter in the back when my kindergartener up front said very calmly, 'Mama, what is that big animal with the long tail doing running across our window?'

As I turned to look, I couldn't believe my eyes! There was this huge rat running across the front windshield. I had just gotten a new cell phone, and I quickly called my husband who started laughing. That didn't help, but then he asked, 'Well, what do you want me to do?'

I said, 'I want you to tell me if there are any holes that the rat can get through to get inside this car. Because if there ARE, I'm telling you in advance that I'm going to have a wreck!'

By this time the light was green, and I had to drive. My husband suggested the windshield wipers, but I wouldn't do that for fear of smearing the rat all over the glass! After I took off, the rat started moving across the side windows. I told my older daughter to keep her eye on it, to which she replied, 'You've got to be kidding!' She had her head turned away and her feet up in the seat.

By the time we drove the last 10 miles to school, the rat was nowhere to be seen. I suppose it fell off as I drove. We had a garage at the time which was connected to the house. My husband had gone through the garage that morning, leaving the door open, to get the paper. We supposed that the rat had crawled up on the car then and was lying in the recessed area where the windshield wipers were. When I stopped, it came out.

Of course my plight became the talk of our little community, and about a week later, a man who owns a hardware store who sells rat poision put a plastic rat used in displays on my car while I was in church.

I just thought I'd entertain you all with it tonight after I read this thread. Not that I'm taking Pala's question lightly. I don't know what to suggest to her other than to take the rat for a ride and lose it like I did!

Suzanne :-)

nancy s. on 1/05/03 at 22:47 (104927)

i was very appropriately entertained by your story, suzanne, thank you. there are many places where one might expect to encounter a rat, but your windshield is definitely not one of them! i've never seen a rat that close-up -- just lucky, i guess. i've certainly had my share of apartments with cockroaches and mice, but never a rat.

once while sleeping on a mattress on the floor i woke up to a strange sound very near my head in the night. after turning on the light, i saw a tiny mouse -- who obviously had set up housekeeping inside the mattress -- trying every which way to drag a pizza crust from the evening before into the too-small hole in the mattress. this was one determined mouse; the pizza crust was about 7 times bigger than the hole. i don't remember how i dealt with it, except i didn't sleep much that night.

on the name front, carole's 'gusty' is a great suggestion. i once knew a girl named gusty wilberding and wished for years that i could take it for myself.

nancy

john h on 1/06/03 at 08:51 (104946)

I have a couple of red fox in the woods behind my home. they will do in a rat.I walked up to a fox in the street light in front of my home one night thinking it was a dog. I got to about 10 feet from him and he just trotted off. the fox can also jump a fence just like a cat. i have a 7' wooden fence in my back yard and i saw a fox go over it with zero effort.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/04/03 at 20:40 (104862)

Call an exterminator! Rats carry all sorts of diseases so you want to get rid of them fast. It's cheapest in the long run to pay for an exterminator.

Carole C

pala on 1/04/03 at 20:50 (104863)

actually i called the cdc and talked to their rat expert. she said it is mice that carry many diseases. rats are relatively disease free where i live. she was extremely unconcered about rats. then again i suppose the ebola expert at the cdc is very casual about ebola. these scientists are a hardy breed. i , on the other hand, don't like this one bit. i live in a renovating ghetto and there are just rats everywhere in this neighborhood. i'll call an exterminator unless others here have solved this problem themselves and have ideas for me.

marie e on 1/04/03 at 21:31 (104864)

Plal,

Most cats won't tackle a rat, unless you get a large mean, hungry cat. Rats are nasty. When I was a kid we had 3 that chewed through the bottom of the house from the crawl space. They came in under the frig...convinient. We tried everything traps, poison, and our cat ,Tarzan, wanted nothing to do with them. So much for the king of the jungle. Finally my parents called animal control...they had the day off so two policemen showed up. When they drew their guns I was out of there. They asked my Dad for a hammer. After alot of yelling and loud noises the rats were no more. Try a hammer...it worked for those two brave policemen.

pala on 1/04/03 at 21:41 (104865)

well thanks for the suggestion but i don't really see myself in hand to paw combat with a rat. altho last nite when it was making noise behind the wall i threw a book i was reading about buddhism . i think i have not quite gotten the philosophy down.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/04/03 at 22:41 (104870)

Here's an article that might be interesting to you, concerning the rat problem in the Atlanta area.

http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/2000-12-02/cover.html

It mentions a number of serious diseases that rats in your area carry, including hantavirus and leptospirosis, and the number of diseases approaches 100. Many other sources list the numerous diseases transmitted by rats; the transmission of diseases from rats to humans is not a matter of contention within the public health community.

It also discusses the problem of rats in Atlanta, and the best ways to get rid of the rats that are common in Atlanta. I hope this is helpful to you.

If I were in your situation I would still call an exterminator, since they have persisted despite trying a few things on your own.

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/04/03 at 23:18 (104873)

ya gotta love it: 'hand to paw combat with a rat.' again, to repeat myself: lol! also, i feel a poem coming on. don't worry about the buddhist philosophy -- it's very good, but phil is a buddhist and so we have several buddhist friends, and i can confirm that they all behave like human beings. phil, in what he calls his 'young and stupid' days, once threw a guy's tv set out the window. he was in a very bad mood, because the guy was in a very bad mood. they were both buddhists.

nancy
good luck with those rats.

pala on 1/04/03 at 23:19 (104874)

hey thanks for the article. it was heartening to read that the cdc rat expert who was quoted in the article also has rats in his house in a very exclusive atlanta neighborhood that he can't completely eliminate. and the exterminator in the article said he probably can't get completely rid of them . it sounds like the atlanta rats are winning. it was also interesting to see that the poison loses effect. i don't feel like such a loser. i guess the thing to do is just keep at it. our mistake was when we got it under contol a few years ago we thought it was over. we have to attack this problem as a regular part of life: stretch calf muscles, set trap, stretch calf muscles, set trap. day after day. forever. isn't life great?

pala on 1/04/03 at 23:21 (104875)

lol right back at you, they were both buddhists. well i hope to soon be a rat murdering buddhist and to heck with the karma.

marie e on 1/05/03 at 09:24 (104882)

I have spoken to friends that have told me that a small dog can deter rats. Dogs don't like them in the house or yard.....dogs aren't fond of invaders in general. It may be worht checking into if you have the space and time for a dog.

I have had two cats that have taken on rats and won. Both were standard tabies. Both females with attitude.

We live in a 100 year old victorian home. The house next to us is owned by the historical society. The society hadn't taken very good care of the place mostly due to funding and lack of young members. The carridge barn behind the house was also in ill repair and the back yard was a jungle. The day, Hannah, my taby cat came over our fence with a rat in her mouth that was it. I gave my kids hatchets and axes and we went to work on the yard at the museum. Six years later the museum is back to its once splendid self. More people began to volunteer as they watched us toil in the yard. Hannah patrols on a regular basis. This why so many people drop their unwanted felines off...they see the barn behind the museum and think their cats will love it there and leave them. I haven't seen any rats since.....but we have trapped a giant coon, skunk and opposum in the house and barn. Still have some flying rodents in the barn. So you see wild critters will get in whenever there isn't anything to deter them.

pala on 1/05/03 at 09:42 (104887)

with what kind of trap?

Re: live traps

marie e on 1/05/03 at 10:24 (104889)

live traps. We called DNR (department of natural resources)and they referred us to a gentleman that specializes in critter removal. He baited and set all the traps inside and out. We wanted live traps because we were afraid someones cat might wonder into it. Once the critter was caught he disposed of it. You may consider calling DNR for information on traps. The trap was actually to small for the coon and it put up a vicious fight once it was trapped....destroyed alot of old uphostered pieces in the room the trap was in.

Suzanne D on 1/05/03 at 18:19 (104913)

We have had mice in the house but never rats. However, the fields on all sides of us out here in the country are good places for them, and we have seen an occasional one in the old shed in the backyard.

Here is the true story that my girls and I will never forget: one morning 10 years ago in the fall, my daughters and I started out on our 25 mile trip to where I then taught and they went to school. I drove 15 miles until I stopped at a traffic light. I turned to say something to my older daughter in the back when my kindergartener up front said very calmly, 'Mama, what is that big animal with the long tail doing running across our window?'

As I turned to look, I couldn't believe my eyes! There was this huge rat running across the front windshield. I had just gotten a new cell phone, and I quickly called my husband who started laughing. That didn't help, but then he asked, 'Well, what do you want me to do?'

I said, 'I want you to tell me if there are any holes that the rat can get through to get inside this car. Because if there ARE, I'm telling you in advance that I'm going to have a wreck!'

By this time the light was green, and I had to drive. My husband suggested the windshield wipers, but I wouldn't do that for fear of smearing the rat all over the glass! After I took off, the rat started moving across the side windows. I told my older daughter to keep her eye on it, to which she replied, 'You've got to be kidding!' She had her head turned away and her feet up in the seat.

By the time we drove the last 10 miles to school, the rat was nowhere to be seen. I suppose it fell off as I drove. We had a garage at the time which was connected to the house. My husband had gone through the garage that morning, leaving the door open, to get the paper. We supposed that the rat had crawled up on the car then and was lying in the recessed area where the windshield wipers were. When I stopped, it came out.

Of course my plight became the talk of our little community, and about a week later, a man who owns a hardware store who sells rat poision put a plastic rat used in displays on my car while I was in church.

I just thought I'd entertain you all with it tonight after I read this thread. Not that I'm taking Pala's question lightly. I don't know what to suggest to her other than to take the rat for a ride and lose it like I did!

Suzanne :-)

nancy s. on 1/05/03 at 22:47 (104927)

i was very appropriately entertained by your story, suzanne, thank you. there are many places where one might expect to encounter a rat, but your windshield is definitely not one of them! i've never seen a rat that close-up -- just lucky, i guess. i've certainly had my share of apartments with cockroaches and mice, but never a rat.

once while sleeping on a mattress on the floor i woke up to a strange sound very near my head in the night. after turning on the light, i saw a tiny mouse -- who obviously had set up housekeeping inside the mattress -- trying every which way to drag a pizza crust from the evening before into the too-small hole in the mattress. this was one determined mouse; the pizza crust was about 7 times bigger than the hole. i don't remember how i dealt with it, except i didn't sleep much that night.

on the name front, carole's 'gusty' is a great suggestion. i once knew a girl named gusty wilberding and wished for years that i could take it for myself.

nancy

john h on 1/06/03 at 08:51 (104946)

I have a couple of red fox in the woods behind my home. they will do in a rat.I walked up to a fox in the street light in front of my home one night thinking it was a dog. I got to about 10 feet from him and he just trotted off. the fox can also jump a fence just like a cat. i have a 7' wooden fence in my back yard and i saw a fox go over it with zero effort.