Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pain on outside of foot

Posted by karina h. on 1/05/03 at 16:40 (104900)

I have pain when I run on the outside of my left foot. Interesting to mention is that I have had IT band problems to the point that the whole outside of my left leg hurts. However, the foot was never involved. It might have hurt when I bought new shoes, but never when running. Please advise what I can do to aliviate this problem. I am testing new shoes like crazy.

karina

Re: pain on outside of foot

Dr. Z on 1/05/03 at 16:54 (104904)

It sounds like the peroneal brevis tendon which runs on the outside of the foot and lower leg. What have you done so far?

karina h. on 1/05/03 at 17:33 (104908)

dr. Z:

you ask whether I have done anything about it? Well I stopped running for a week, went back today and the pain returned. Not only does it hurt on the outside of the foot, but up my leg on the outside of my hip to my quad. I take on occasion advil, have tried every tipe of running shoes, to no avail. I am running a half marathon at the beginning of February and boston in April. Please give advise!!! Do I need podiatrist?

karina

Dr. Z on 1/05/03 at 17:45 (104910)

Yes you need a podiatrist. You will need at the least taping,some physical therapy and maybe orthosis. Do you think you torn anything ?? Until you see a podiatrist start with Scott's taping for plantar fasciitis. This is probaby tendonitis of the peroneal brevis but can only tell with a hands on examination. If it is pin point insertional brevis tendonitis a local steriod injecction with taping can help take care of this. Keep me updated

Celia C. on 1/10/03 at 11:52 (105210)

I think I know what mean about pain along the outside of your foot. It feels like it's a nerve that runs on the outer part of your foot, kindof reaches to your pincky? I have that feeling all the time and, unusually, subsides when I'm not being treated by my chiropractor and/or when I stop doing cardio exercises to include the stationary bike. My chiropractor told me it's a nerve and he applies A.R.T. along the ankle (which really doesn't do much).

My supervisor had the similar situation with her T Band as you do. I sent her to my chiropractor who specializes in A.R.T. on lower extremeties, showed her some exercises and stretches, told her to not do long-distance running for a couple of days and now SHE'S BACK TO NORMAL! I wish that was me.....

Dr. Z on 1/05/03 at 16:54 (104904)

It sounds like the peroneal brevis tendon which runs on the outside of the foot and lower leg. What have you done so far?

karina h. on 1/05/03 at 17:33 (104908)

dr. Z:

you ask whether I have done anything about it? Well I stopped running for a week, went back today and the pain returned. Not only does it hurt on the outside of the foot, but up my leg on the outside of my hip to my quad. I take on occasion advil, have tried every tipe of running shoes, to no avail. I am running a half marathon at the beginning of February and boston in April. Please give advise!!! Do I need podiatrist?

karina

Dr. Z on 1/05/03 at 17:45 (104910)

Yes you need a podiatrist. You will need at the least taping,some physical therapy and maybe orthosis. Do you think you torn anything ?? Until you see a podiatrist start with Scott's taping for plantar fasciitis. This is probaby tendonitis of the peroneal brevis but can only tell with a hands on examination. If it is pin point insertional brevis tendonitis a local steriod injecction with taping can help take care of this. Keep me updated

Celia C. on 1/10/03 at 11:52 (105210)

I think I know what mean about pain along the outside of your foot. It feels like it's a nerve that runs on the outer part of your foot, kindof reaches to your pincky? I have that feeling all the time and, unusually, subsides when I'm not being treated by my chiropractor and/or when I stop doing cardio exercises to include the stationary bike. My chiropractor told me it's a nerve and he applies A.R.T. along the ankle (which really doesn't do much).

My supervisor had the similar situation with her T Band as you do. I sent her to my chiropractor who specializes in A.R.T. on lower extremeties, showed her some exercises and stretches, told her to not do long-distance running for a couple of days and now SHE'S BACK TO NORMAL! I wish that was me.....