Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Undiagnosed foot pain any ideas?

Posted by Suzie B on 1/06/03 at 08:20 (104939)

Foot pain started in Oct 2001 deep pain between 3rd and 4th toes, thought maybe had a neuroma as I had one removed 12 years previously . MRI showed growth , ortho sent me next day to cancer center. Orthopedic oncologist thought it was a sacroma , needle biopsy followed by 2 incisional biopsys and all kinds of tests , infectious disease testing for bone Tb, talk about amputation of part of foot. During all of this I developed RSD of the whole leg. Have done PT, accupunture , TENS and the list goes on, same with Doctors, podiatirst, infectious disease, orthopedics, and more and all kinds of meds ,still no diagnosis. Pain is deep in the bone between 3rd and 4th toes on the bottom of the foot , swelling on top of foot , skin changes. My pain management Doc has suggested 4 sympatheic blocks to get RSD under control again, having block 3 tomorrow and then having podiatrist go in and clean everything up . My thoughts are that whatever is going on with my foot is causing the RSD and that until I can get a diagnosis for the foot pain the RSD will keep flaring. Any ideas??????
Wishing you all a pain free day.
Suzie

Re: Undiagnosed foot pain any ideas?

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/07/03 at 22:52 (105070)

Wow! There has got to be more to this. An MRI may show a neuroma-- why did the first doctor immediately assume a malignancy?

What were the results of the incisional biopsies? Why were excisional biopsies not done?

The RSD must be brought under control before more surgery can be attempted so definitely complete the lumbar sympathetic blocks as recommended.
Ed

Suzie B on 1/09/03 at 19:17 (105180)

Dr Davis
ooops I am sorry I did mean excisional biopsies both done by orthopedic oncologist at a renowned Cancer center because all thought initially I had a sarcoma. All infectious disease ruled out , ie TB ,Rift Valley Fever etc. Not a neuroma.My toes were splayed apart, since steroid shots the space has closed almost back to normal but the pain still continues. I am at block 3 of 4 over a 2 week period for my RSD and this seems to be under control . On my last visit with my podiatrist he referred me back to the pain clinic , their advice is to have podiatrist go back in and clean up any mess and get my foot fixed and a diagnosis . while the RSD is under control . My thoughts and their thought are that until I can get a diagnosis and treatment the RSD will keep flaring. I love my podiatrist he is just great but I get the feeling he does not want to do this. I ahve also just finished 20 PT treatments and no change.HELP ,where to next I have done the round of Docs. I need to get aggresive now so that I can get on with my life.
Thanks for your help and advice.
Susie

pat y on 1/17/03 at 17:32 (105724)

Dear Doc.

I hAVE A LUMP UNDER AND VERY CLOSE TO THE TOE NEXT TO MY LITTLE TOE. This is under my foot.

Thank-you. ON REGIS TODAY KELLEY SOUNDED LIKE SHE HAS THE SAME THING I HAVE AND SHE SAID HERS WAS NUROMA, I AM NOT SURE OF THE CORRECT SPELLING.

Suzie on 1/28/03 at 18:58 (107192)

Pat
You should get this diagnosed asap. Hope it not causing you too much of a problem. I too had a neuroma removed about 12 years ago, surgery not a problem. My foot problems now are caused by surgerys last year that were possibly done in a hurry as they thought I originally had cancer in the foot, my current pod thinks they just didnt clean up good hence problems still. I have RSD which now is under control as I just had four blocks , now facing a clean up surgery which should wrap up my problems.
Susie

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/07/03 at 22:52 (105070)

Wow! There has got to be more to this. An MRI may show a neuroma-- why did the first doctor immediately assume a malignancy?

What were the results of the incisional biopsies? Why were excisional biopsies not done?

The RSD must be brought under control before more surgery can be attempted so definitely complete the lumbar sympathetic blocks as recommended.
Ed

Suzie B on 1/09/03 at 19:17 (105180)

Dr Davis
ooops I am sorry I did mean excisional biopsies both done by orthopedic oncologist at a renowned Cancer center because all thought initially I had a sarcoma. All infectious disease ruled out , ie TB ,Rift Valley Fever etc. Not a neuroma.My toes were splayed apart, since steroid shots the space has closed almost back to normal but the pain still continues. I am at block 3 of 4 over a 2 week period for my RSD and this seems to be under control . On my last visit with my podiatrist he referred me back to the pain clinic , their advice is to have podiatrist go back in and clean up any mess and get my foot fixed and a diagnosis . while the RSD is under control . My thoughts and their thought are that until I can get a diagnosis and treatment the RSD will keep flaring. I love my podiatrist he is just great but I get the feeling he does not want to do this. I ahve also just finished 20 PT treatments and no change.HELP ,where to next I have done the round of Docs. I need to get aggresive now so that I can get on with my life.
Thanks for your help and advice.
Susie

pat y on 1/17/03 at 17:32 (105724)

Dear Doc.

I hAVE A LUMP UNDER AND VERY CLOSE TO THE TOE NEXT TO MY LITTLE TOE. This is under my foot.

Thank-you. ON REGIS TODAY KELLEY SOUNDED LIKE SHE HAS THE SAME THING I HAVE AND SHE SAID HERS WAS NUROMA, I AM NOT SURE OF THE CORRECT SPELLING.

Suzie on 1/28/03 at 18:58 (107192)

Pat
You should get this diagnosed asap. Hope it not causing you too much of a problem. I too had a neuroma removed about 12 years ago, surgery not a problem. My foot problems now are caused by surgerys last year that were possibly done in a hurry as they thought I originally had cancer in the foot, my current pod thinks they just didnt clean up good hence problems still. I have RSD which now is under control as I just had four blocks , now facing a clean up surgery which should wrap up my problems.
Susie