Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ibuprofen gel

Posted by Mar on 1/06/03 at 17:26 (104971)

I started using the ibuprofen gel on Jan 3. Is it supposed to work right away, or does it take time for the body to respond? I don;t see any pain relief yet. Mar

Re: Ibuprofen gel

Pauline on 1/06/03 at 19:41 (104978)

Mar,
Sorry to report although others may disagree I never had any relief from
the Ibuprofen Gel/Cream. I purchased mine which was the cream version in Germany on a trip. I don't think it's strong enough.

What I did get help from, but not for P.F. was a 15% on-steroidal anti-inflamatory cream that was compounded for me by a doctor from India. I couldn't tell you what's in it but I used it for Sciatic Nerve pain.

I had to wash my skin first, then apply heat, rub in the cream, wrap the area in plastic wrap and use a moist heating pad. It worked like a charm.

Linda C on 1/07/03 at 06:56 (105007)

Hi Mar,
I tried the Ibuprofen gel for a month or two and didn't notice any relief. I eventually quit using it.

Andrue on 1/08/03 at 12:16 (105097)

For me it kicks in over the course of a few minutes. There's no sudden pain drop though. Just a realisation a few minutes after applying it that the pain has diminished. Then again my pain (actually little more than discomfort most of the time) is definitely inflammation related so I get a double affect from the gel.

The only complain I have against the gel is that the effect doesn't last particularly long (a couple of hours) and if I use it a lot it makes my skin peel slightly.

Mar on 1/08/03 at 12:49 (105099)

My doctor said it should kick in in about 20 minutes. Since it's been a few days (!), I guess it doesn;t work for me!! A lot of my pain is inflammation related, but as with all the other things I've tried, it doesn;t work for me! I'll keep trying!! I guess the wheatgrass is next! Mar

Andrue on 1/09/03 at 07:39 (105148)

You might want to try getting a prescription for Diclofenac. This (in pill form) worked /really/ well for me (but wasn't a cure). Nearly removed all pain. In the UK at least you can get this in a gel (still prescription) called 'Voltorol'.

Mar on 1/09/03 at 18:02 (105178)

Do you know what doclofenac is or contains? Is it a pain killer, antiinflammatory???? What are the side effects? Mar

Andrue on 1/10/03 at 07:51 (105191)

Diclofenac is a prescription only NSAID. I was prescribed two capsules a day (morning and evening) and those two capsules did more for me than a full adult dosage of Ibuprofen or Aspirin. The latter take the edge of the pain whereas Diclofenac virtually illiminated it.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a689002.html

Richard, C.Ped on 1/14/03 at 09:32 (105446)

I used to work in a compound pharmacy where we made Ketoprofen cream and gel. I believe that it is only good for superficial aches and pains such as arthritis, and not for something deep as PF.
Richard

Mar on 1/14/03 at 15:21 (105480)

Well, I guess you are right because it did nothing for me. My pod didn;t think it would, but the Pain Management doctor (anesthesiologist) thought it would. But I'm no barometer because NOTHING works for me, not yet anyway! Mar

Pauline on 1/06/03 at 19:41 (104978)

Mar,
Sorry to report although others may disagree I never had any relief from
the Ibuprofen Gel/Cream. I purchased mine which was the cream version in Germany on a trip. I don't think it's strong enough.

What I did get help from, but not for P.F. was a 15% on-steroidal anti-inflamatory cream that was compounded for me by a doctor from India. I couldn't tell you what's in it but I used it for Sciatic Nerve pain.

I had to wash my skin first, then apply heat, rub in the cream, wrap the area in plastic wrap and use a moist heating pad. It worked like a charm.

Linda C on 1/07/03 at 06:56 (105007)

Hi Mar,
I tried the Ibuprofen gel for a month or two and didn't notice any relief. I eventually quit using it.

Andrue on 1/08/03 at 12:16 (105097)

For me it kicks in over the course of a few minutes. There's no sudden pain drop though. Just a realisation a few minutes after applying it that the pain has diminished. Then again my pain (actually little more than discomfort most of the time) is definitely inflammation related so I get a double affect from the gel.

The only complain I have against the gel is that the effect doesn't last particularly long (a couple of hours) and if I use it a lot it makes my skin peel slightly.

Mar on 1/08/03 at 12:49 (105099)

My doctor said it should kick in in about 20 minutes. Since it's been a few days (!), I guess it doesn;t work for me!! A lot of my pain is inflammation related, but as with all the other things I've tried, it doesn;t work for me! I'll keep trying!! I guess the wheatgrass is next! Mar

Andrue on 1/09/03 at 07:39 (105148)

You might want to try getting a prescription for Diclofenac. This (in pill form) worked /really/ well for me (but wasn't a cure). Nearly removed all pain. In the UK at least you can get this in a gel (still prescription) called 'Voltorol'.

Mar on 1/09/03 at 18:02 (105178)

Do you know what doclofenac is or contains? Is it a pain killer, antiinflammatory???? What are the side effects? Mar

Andrue on 1/10/03 at 07:51 (105191)

Diclofenac is a prescription only NSAID. I was prescribed two capsules a day (morning and evening) and those two capsules did more for me than a full adult dosage of Ibuprofen or Aspirin. The latter take the edge of the pain whereas Diclofenac virtually illiminated it.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a689002.html

Richard, C.Ped on 1/14/03 at 09:32 (105446)

I used to work in a compound pharmacy where we made Ketoprofen cream and gel. I believe that it is only good for superficial aches and pains such as arthritis, and not for something deep as PF.
Richard

Mar on 1/14/03 at 15:21 (105480)

Well, I guess you are right because it did nothing for me. My pod didn;t think it would, but the Pain Management doctor (anesthesiologist) thought it would. But I'm no barometer because NOTHING works for me, not yet anyway! Mar