Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

snowbound and in television withdrawal

Posted by nancy s. on 1/06/03 at 22:22 (104996)

we're not really snowbound -- we can get out, but you just can't do much out there: can't walk anywhere, can't visit with people because they're not out (and therefore not coming to antiques stores either), and everywhere you look there are huge mounds of snow, so you FEEL snowbound even if you technically aren't.

today was the ninth day without watching television. on day 2 we rented the movie 'Pollock,' and tonight, day 9, we watched 'Babe' again, which we have a copy of. other than that, there's been no watching anything on a screen. i really felt high and free for several days, but the past couple of days have been hard. i didn't watch much tv before pf, but i did after it hit and the habit stuck. now that the novelty of no-tv is wearing off (as phil promised it would!), my mind sometimes feels a little panicked, like it doesn't know what to do with itself. it used to know what to do with itself, always, before 1999 (the beginning of foot hell), but now after i've worked and read and chatted with my mate and written in my one of my notebooks, there's a scary blankness. also, needless to say, i feel kind of cut off from the rest of the world, not watching any talking heads or law dramas or biographies or reruns from the sixties.

but most of the time i do think better and have more energy. so i still think it's a good thing for me to be off tv, but right now it's difficult.

phil just told me he thinks i'm spending more time online than before. i don't really want to just trade one screen for another, but at least online you're interacting with people, right? if what he thinks is true, it's not necessarily a bad thing, is it? this is the only message board i participate on (have gotten my feet wet on a few other relevant boards, but none even began to compare with the humanity and humor and helpfulness of this one, so i always faded off). when online, i'm either here, reading or writing an email, or looking up some oddball piece of info that i can't find anywhere else. probably the total amount of time online on any given day is two hours.

i guess i'm looking for a little moral support; i don't know why else i'd be writing about this! probably most people can have tv in the house and not watch it much -- that's how i was -- but i don't think i can have it in the house now. turning it on became too automatic. three years after it became too important, it's hard to remember what i did with my brain in the evenings before it got hooked. i know i read, worked, sometimes went to auctions, did artwork, puttered, but those things don't seem to fill up the whole evening yet (and i haven't done them all again yet either). do you think they will?

nancy

Re: snowbound and in television withdrawal

pala on 1/06/03 at 22:47 (104999)

no, no, this board is nothing to feel guilty about. this is a sane and healthy thing to do. keep in mind i'm the idiot with a date to sit with an ex ho in a petri dish.

nancy s. on 1/06/03 at 22:55 (105000)

lol, i will keep that in mind. but i do envy you your petri dish.
n.

wendyn on 1/07/03 at 07:14 (105008)

Nancy - talk about a weird winter.

It was 61 F here yesterday, and our snow has melted again. We have one ski hill nearby that has cancelled it's entire season (and the others are suffering badly for the second year in a row).

marie e on 1/07/03 at 07:52 (105013)

This message board is a great outlet. It's ok. Winter is such a blah time of year. People with bad feet aren't the only ones who feel snow bound...we all get like this especially when the holidays are over. Spring is on its way...Try growing some daffedils in your shop window.

Marie

nancy s. on 1/07/03 at 10:22 (105019)

daffodils in the window! what a nice idea.

wendy, you ARE having a weird winter. we had a similar one last year, but not temps like you've got. it never got terribly cold either, though, and there was almost no snow and lots of sun. this winter is the opposite, and very very gloomy. that's amazing the ski places are closing for the whole season. you must be pretty happy about this, trudging around in your birks without your usual amount of snow.

nancy

nancy s. on 1/07/03 at 16:14 (105036)

test
i want to remove this thread

pala on 1/07/03 at 18:00 (105047)

who knew we can remove a thread. you are a computer genius.

nancy s. on 1/07/03 at 21:49 (105064)

turns out we can't remove a thread, so i must gratefully decline the label of computer genius. to be honest i am a computer idiot, but i love my computer, which is an imac given to me by some mysterious angels.

only scott can remove a thread, and in three years here i've never seen him do it (on purpose, that is! i think he's lost a bunch of couple of times while fooling with his programs). every now and then while doing a search on this site i run across a regrettable post of mine from some past controversy and think 'dern, why can't scott accidentally lose THIS one.'

nancy

nancy s. on 1/08/03 at 16:35 (105114)

hi marie: i just want to thank you for your daffodil-growing suggestion in response to the 'snowbound' part of my down-in-the-dumps post. my thumb is NOT green, at all, but i bought a little pot of them, already started, and all they need is a windowsill and water at the right time. i think i can manage that! i think i can, i think i can ... also got a deal on some yellow and pink flowers at the market and put them around the house. it helps.
thanks,
nancy

Re: Nancy - what are you going to do during the baseball season?

Kathy G on 1/10/03 at 10:15 (105202)

Nancy,

I haven't been online for a while but what are you going to do when the Red Sox start their season? With new ownership, maybe this will be the year!

As a football fan, I could not survive without my TV! This time of year, especially, as the season winds down, I value every single game!

nancy s. on 1/10/03 at 16:19 (105221)

i don't know what i'll do, kathy! i've been wondering about that. a red sox fan can't forgo ALL the games! some nights are *very* tough without it now -- imagine in the summer, knowing i could be yelling and clapping or crying in the living room and having a grand old time.

we may end up permanent fixtures at the laundromat across the corner from us. it has everything, including a big cable tv. we'll just settle in over there for each game, with our popcorn and wine, and take over the place.

take care of that shoulder, but don't stay away too long, you've been missed!

nancy

john h on 1/13/03 at 09:32 (105349)

Nancy: Find a sportsbar and hangout there during basball season. they will dig those cat socks.

pala on 1/06/03 at 22:47 (104999)

no, no, this board is nothing to feel guilty about. this is a sane and healthy thing to do. keep in mind i'm the idiot with a date to sit with an ex ho in a petri dish.

nancy s. on 1/06/03 at 22:55 (105000)

lol, i will keep that in mind. but i do envy you your petri dish.
n.

wendyn on 1/07/03 at 07:14 (105008)

Nancy - talk about a weird winter.

It was 61 F here yesterday, and our snow has melted again. We have one ski hill nearby that has cancelled it's entire season (and the others are suffering badly for the second year in a row).

marie e on 1/07/03 at 07:52 (105013)

This message board is a great outlet. It's ok. Winter is such a blah time of year. People with bad feet aren't the only ones who feel snow bound...we all get like this especially when the holidays are over. Spring is on its way...Try growing some daffedils in your shop window.

Marie

nancy s. on 1/07/03 at 10:22 (105019)

daffodils in the window! what a nice idea.

wendy, you ARE having a weird winter. we had a similar one last year, but not temps like you've got. it never got terribly cold either, though, and there was almost no snow and lots of sun. this winter is the opposite, and very very gloomy. that's amazing the ski places are closing for the whole season. you must be pretty happy about this, trudging around in your birks without your usual amount of snow.

nancy

nancy s. on 1/07/03 at 16:14 (105036)

test
i want to remove this thread

pala on 1/07/03 at 18:00 (105047)

who knew we can remove a thread. you are a computer genius.

nancy s. on 1/07/03 at 21:49 (105064)

turns out we can't remove a thread, so i must gratefully decline the label of computer genius. to be honest i am a computer idiot, but i love my computer, which is an imac given to me by some mysterious angels.

only scott can remove a thread, and in three years here i've never seen him do it (on purpose, that is! i think he's lost a bunch of couple of times while fooling with his programs). every now and then while doing a search on this site i run across a regrettable post of mine from some past controversy and think 'dern, why can't scott accidentally lose THIS one.'

nancy

nancy s. on 1/08/03 at 16:35 (105114)

hi marie: i just want to thank you for your daffodil-growing suggestion in response to the 'snowbound' part of my down-in-the-dumps post. my thumb is NOT green, at all, but i bought a little pot of them, already started, and all they need is a windowsill and water at the right time. i think i can manage that! i think i can, i think i can ... also got a deal on some yellow and pink flowers at the market and put them around the house. it helps.
thanks,
nancy

Kathy G on 1/10/03 at 10:15 (105202)

Nancy,

I haven't been online for a while but what are you going to do when the Red Sox start their season? With new ownership, maybe this will be the year!

As a football fan, I could not survive without my TV! This time of year, especially, as the season winds down, I value every single game!

nancy s. on 1/10/03 at 16:19 (105221)

i don't know what i'll do, kathy! i've been wondering about that. a red sox fan can't forgo ALL the games! some nights are *very* tough without it now -- imagine in the summer, knowing i could be yelling and clapping or crying in the living room and having a grand old time.

we may end up permanent fixtures at the laundromat across the corner from us. it has everything, including a big cable tv. we'll just settle in over there for each game, with our popcorn and wine, and take over the place.

take care of that shoulder, but don't stay away too long, you've been missed!

nancy

john h on 1/13/03 at 09:32 (105349)

Nancy: Find a sportsbar and hangout there during basball season. they will dig those cat socks.