Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

NCV- 50% ACCURACY, SO WHY HAVE IT?

Posted by RUSSELL F on 1/07/03 at 00:47 (105002)

Jan 8th, Wednesday, I am scheduled to have an NCV to supposedly determine if I have TTS. The neurologist that I am seeing already performed 'the tap test' and determined that I do have TTS. My question is, why should I now have a 'NCV' performed, which, from what I have read is only 50% accurate? Is it because I may file for diasbility and need a test to confirm my diagnosis, or is it just a way for the physician to make more money!? There is a 50% chance that the test may show 'negative' even though I have TTS, so that will not help me at all. I had lots of edema in my left leg which may have caused the TTS, but I also had PF in the same foot, which also may be the reason for TTS.

Question is: Am I wasting my time by having the NCV performed? Also, can a meniscus tear in the same leg cause TTS. I had the surgery for the meniscus tear July 22nd and am now experiencing very sharp pains on all sides of the knee except the lateral side where the tear was. Why am I getting all these pains 5 mos. later? What went wrong with the surgery. Should I consult the os again? Would surgery be recommended to fix the excrutiating, sudden pains? What may be causing them? I need advice! Thanks, Russell

Re: NCV- 50% ACCURACY, SO WHY HAVE IT?

BrianG on 1/07/03 at 16:09 (105034)

Hi Russell,

If you are considering disability, I would try to do every thing within reason that your doctor suggests. It's his testimony that will most likely determine your case.

Good luck
BrianG, not a doc

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/07/03 at 22:46 (105069)

The accuracy of NCV for TTS is heavily dependent on the individual doing the testing. An NCV positive for TTS would be a very strong confirmatory piece of evidence (few false positives -- a test with good selectivity) but a negative test would not rule out TTS (poor sensitivity).

If the goal is to file for disability and your neurologist is willing to stand behind the accuracy of his diagnosis without an NCV, the need for NCV is not compelling. If the goal is to decide on surgery, I would prfer going forward with NCV.
Ed

BrianG on 1/07/03 at 16:09 (105034)

Hi Russell,

If you are considering disability, I would try to do every thing within reason that your doctor suggests. It's his testimony that will most likely determine your case.

Good luck
BrianG, not a doc

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/07/03 at 22:46 (105069)

The accuracy of NCV for TTS is heavily dependent on the individual doing the testing. An NCV positive for TTS would be a very strong confirmatory piece of evidence (few false positives -- a test with good selectivity) but a negative test would not rule out TTS (poor sensitivity).

If the goal is to file for disability and your neurologist is willing to stand behind the accuracy of his diagnosis without an NCV, the need for NCV is not compelling. If the goal is to decide on surgery, I would prfer going forward with NCV.
Ed