Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TT and rollerblading

Posted by maria T on 1/07/03 at 03:32 (105006)

I am having severe pain in the ankle bones of both feet and my doctor suspects TT. i do a lot of rollerblading and am extremely flat-footed so there is a lot of pressure on the inside of my ankles. has any other blader experienced this problem??? Any solutions? thanks

Re: TT and rollerblading

Carl on 1/07/03 at 14:30 (105029)

Maria, I have TTS and have done a lot of rollerblading, but I don't think it was caused by rollerblading. TTS usually manifests itself with pain, burning and numbness in the foot--do you have these symptoms? If not, my guess is that you have some other problem. You might look at your rollerblades and get an opinion on whether they fit properly or not. You might also try arch supports in your rollerblades. I found tarsal arch supports and put them in mine and it seemed to help. Hope this helps and you can keep rollin'.

Carl

maria T on 1/08/03 at 06:03 (105082)

Carl, thanks for the reply, and I'm hoping you are right about rollerblading not causing or aggravating TTS. I thought maybe the pressure from the boot on the ankle bone could cause nerve damage over time. I have severe pain when the ankle bones are tapped, and standing or walking for more than 30 minutes is excruciating. Maybe the diagnosis is incorrect but I have done a ton of research on the internet and my problems seem identical to those associated with TTS sufferers. I do have custom orthodics for my etreme flat feet and they provided tremendous relief for awhile but not anymore.My podiatrist is recommending new ones with an even higher arch support and I guess I'll try that. I have had a problem controling the pain but am NOT into narcotic pain relievers. I have used NSAIDs (vioxx, mobic, baxtra)with little relief. I have started taking advil every 3 hrs, and if I take 10-12 pills a day, the pain is greatly reduced. I just went on a 20 mile bike race and it didn't seem to bother my ankes.(Of course WALKING to and from my car was still a problem!] A high level of physical activity is important to my quality of life and I am NOT willing to become a couch potato over this!! Has anyone had much luck with the rubber band exercises from the therapist?? I don't want to give up on them but they actually seem to make the problem worse! Thanks!

Carl on 1/07/03 at 14:30 (105029)

Maria, I have TTS and have done a lot of rollerblading, but I don't think it was caused by rollerblading. TTS usually manifests itself with pain, burning and numbness in the foot--do you have these symptoms? If not, my guess is that you have some other problem. You might look at your rollerblades and get an opinion on whether they fit properly or not. You might also try arch supports in your rollerblades. I found tarsal arch supports and put them in mine and it seemed to help. Hope this helps and you can keep rollin'.

Carl

maria T on 1/08/03 at 06:03 (105082)

Carl, thanks for the reply, and I'm hoping you are right about rollerblading not causing or aggravating TTS. I thought maybe the pressure from the boot on the ankle bone could cause nerve damage over time. I have severe pain when the ankle bones are tapped, and standing or walking for more than 30 minutes is excruciating. Maybe the diagnosis is incorrect but I have done a ton of research on the internet and my problems seem identical to those associated with TTS sufferers. I do have custom orthodics for my etreme flat feet and they provided tremendous relief for awhile but not anymore.My podiatrist is recommending new ones with an even higher arch support and I guess I'll try that. I have had a problem controling the pain but am NOT into narcotic pain relievers. I have used NSAIDs (vioxx, mobic, baxtra)with little relief. I have started taking advil every 3 hrs, and if I take 10-12 pills a day, the pain is greatly reduced. I just went on a 20 mile bike race and it didn't seem to bother my ankes.(Of course WALKING to and from my car was still a problem!] A high level of physical activity is important to my quality of life and I am NOT willing to become a couch potato over this!! Has anyone had much luck with the rubber band exercises from the therapist?? I don't want to give up on them but they actually seem to make the problem worse! Thanks!