Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Spurs

Posted by Rachelle D. on 1/07/03 at 17:05 (105041)

I had a foot spur on my left foot for approximately 2 months. Does it ever heal properly with or without medication?

My heel was swollen like a goose egg, inflamed, and very sore at first when I would flex my foot a certain way. I was seeing stars. Luckily, for the sites that I visited, much like 'heelspurs.com', I was able to get information on it. It was making me very very ill all over.

Re: Heel Spurs

Carole C in NOLA on 1/08/03 at 11:56 (105092)

Rachelle, I too had heelspur in both heels. An X-ray taken fifteen months ago showed they were really big and sharp and wicked looking. I am better now and can do everything I could do beforehand, and the pain is gone.

My advice is to read the heel pain book on this site, and also read the message boards and keep trying to do everything to help your feet heal. In my case, what helped most was rest, not taking even one step without custom orthotics or Birkenstocks, gentle non-weightbearing stretching, and ice (in that order). I didn't even go barefoot in the shower, and used both a shower stool and shower shoes. (Now, I can wear 'regular shoes' just like before and go barefoot in the shower, but I waited a long time until I had been pain free quite a while before doing these things.)

From what I've read, the heel spur itself doesn't cause the pain because it is really kind of jelly-like... but instead, it is the result of plantar fasciitis (PF). So, I would imagine that I've probably still got my heel spurs. However, life has returned to normal for me so I don't care.

Carole C

Re: P.S., I'm not a foot doctor by the way...

Carole C in NOLA on 1/08/03 at 11:57 (105094)

Re: Heel Spurs

Carole C in NOLA on 1/08/03 at 11:56 (105092)

Rachelle, I too had heelspur in both heels. An X-ray taken fifteen months ago showed they were really big and sharp and wicked looking. I am better now and can do everything I could do beforehand, and the pain is gone.

My advice is to read the heel pain book on this site, and also read the message boards and keep trying to do everything to help your feet heal. In my case, what helped most was rest, not taking even one step without custom orthotics or Birkenstocks, gentle non-weightbearing stretching, and ice (in that order). I didn't even go barefoot in the shower, and used both a shower stool and shower shoes. (Now, I can wear 'regular shoes' just like before and go barefoot in the shower, but I waited a long time until I had been pain free quite a while before doing these things.)

From what I've read, the heel spur itself doesn't cause the pain because it is really kind of jelly-like... but instead, it is the result of plantar fasciitis (PF). So, I would imagine that I've probably still got my heel spurs. However, life has returned to normal for me so I don't care.

Carole C

Re: P.S., I'm not a foot doctor by the way...

Carole C in NOLA on 1/08/03 at 11:57 (105094)