Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Sudden "ripping" pain

Posted by amys on 1/07/03 at 20:03 (105056)

Although I have had pf on again and off again for many years, it has been getting increasingly worse over the last few weeks. I have been running on a treadmill but today for a change of pace I took an aerobics class. During the class I suddenly felt a ripping/tearing sensation in my arch and have been hobbling around with extreme pain since then. Is this sudden ripping sensation common? Thanks in advance for any insights .... amy

Re: Sudden "ripping" pain

carmen on 1/08/03 at 09:34 (105089)

You may have torn the fascia......stop running and all activity immediately and go to a Pod.

amys on 1/08/03 at 20:06 (105135)

Thanks for the advice. I saw a general physician today who said I could have torn the fascia (bc swollen and bruised) but thought that it might just be a severe case of pf. She said the best way to know for sure (without an MRI) was to wait and see if the pain decreased over the next few weeks. Her recommendations were motrin, rest, and shoe inserts. Thoughts on this? amy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/09/03 at 07:49 (105149)

She might be right that it could be severe PF, despite the tearing feeling and the pain. I too noticed a very bad tearing feeling when I was injuring my PF, when it was severe. In fact, avoiding that tearing feeling was one of the keys to my recovery, because usually the tearing feeling meant that I was re-injuring my PF.

It sounds like her recommendations are consistent with what is in the heel pain book on this site, and what people say on the message boards, but you can probably work harder than that at treating your condition.

Definitely rest as much as possible for the next few weeks. If you can take time off from work or arrange to work sitting down, that would be a good idea.

Don't ever go barefoot, even in the shower. Many people here have found Birkenstock Arizonas to be helpful to their recovery.

Gentle stretching is important but at this stage it needs to be very very gentle. Try sitting on your bed with your legs out flat on the bed, and pointing your toes towards your nose (inwards and upwards). Hold for 30 seconds. Don't do it (or anything else) if it makes your feet hurt, though!

Ice is very helpful especially since you have just injured your feet. Putting your foot on a bag of frozen peas works a whole lot better than just ice cubes, because the peas conform to the shape of your foot better. Try doing a lot of icing, especially just before bed so that you don't have to walk much on your just-iced feet. Again, don't do it to the point that your feet hurt because you don't want frostbite. When they start to hurt, remove them from the bag of peas for a minute and then repeat, and keep repeating for a half hour or so.

It might be worthwhile to go to see a podiatrist for another opinion. If you do, see if he can give you a prescription to take to a C.Ped for soft custom orthotics. They seem to work better than over the counter insoles for some of us.

Hope this helps...!! Sorry to hear this has happened to you.

Carole C

amys on 1/09/03 at 08:47 (105152)

Thanks for all the advice. I actually borrowed my mom's cam-walker (is this the right word?) for wearing around the house - it makes walking much easier for some reason. I also have been wearing my birkenstocks - as they have proven to be the most comfortable. Other than that, ice and advil and no running ;( for the time being. I will look into orthodics. Thanks again for your concern! amy

carmen on 1/08/03 at 09:34 (105089)

You may have torn the fascia......stop running and all activity immediately and go to a Pod.

amys on 1/08/03 at 20:06 (105135)

Thanks for the advice. I saw a general physician today who said I could have torn the fascia (bc swollen and bruised) but thought that it might just be a severe case of pf. She said the best way to know for sure (without an MRI) was to wait and see if the pain decreased over the next few weeks. Her recommendations were motrin, rest, and shoe inserts. Thoughts on this? amy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/09/03 at 07:49 (105149)

She might be right that it could be severe PF, despite the tearing feeling and the pain. I too noticed a very bad tearing feeling when I was injuring my PF, when it was severe. In fact, avoiding that tearing feeling was one of the keys to my recovery, because usually the tearing feeling meant that I was re-injuring my PF.

It sounds like her recommendations are consistent with what is in the heel pain book on this site, and what people say on the message boards, but you can probably work harder than that at treating your condition.

Definitely rest as much as possible for the next few weeks. If you can take time off from work or arrange to work sitting down, that would be a good idea.

Don't ever go barefoot, even in the shower. Many people here have found Birkenstock Arizonas to be helpful to their recovery.

Gentle stretching is important but at this stage it needs to be very very gentle. Try sitting on your bed with your legs out flat on the bed, and pointing your toes towards your nose (inwards and upwards). Hold for 30 seconds. Don't do it (or anything else) if it makes your feet hurt, though!

Ice is very helpful especially since you have just injured your feet. Putting your foot on a bag of frozen peas works a whole lot better than just ice cubes, because the peas conform to the shape of your foot better. Try doing a lot of icing, especially just before bed so that you don't have to walk much on your just-iced feet. Again, don't do it to the point that your feet hurt because you don't want frostbite. When they start to hurt, remove them from the bag of peas for a minute and then repeat, and keep repeating for a half hour or so.

It might be worthwhile to go to see a podiatrist for another opinion. If you do, see if he can give you a prescription to take to a C.Ped for soft custom orthotics. They seem to work better than over the counter insoles for some of us.

Hope this helps...!! Sorry to hear this has happened to you.

Carole C

amys on 1/09/03 at 08:47 (105152)

Thanks for all the advice. I actually borrowed my mom's cam-walker (is this the right word?) for wearing around the house - it makes walking much easier for some reason. I also have been wearing my birkenstocks - as they have proven to be the most comfortable. Other than that, ice and advil and no running ;( for the time being. I will look into orthodics. Thanks again for your concern! amy