Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Small Pox

Posted by Necee on 1/08/03 at 00:24 (105077)

I just read the thread below regarding smallpox vacinations.
Has anyone had the shot on their back? My brother and I did when we were young. I've never come across anyone else who has had the shot given like that.

Happy trails.....

Necee

Re: Small Pox

Pauline on 1/08/03 at 16:00 (105111)

Never heard of it being given on the back. That's a new one to me. How noticable is the scar?

I remember when I had mine, the first one didn't take, nor the second, but the third one left me with a very tiny mark on my right shoulder. I'd hardly call it a scar.

I haven't made any decision if I would take the vaccine again, but like others if cases started to show up there is no doubt I'd probably run to get it. By then it might be toooo late, although when polio was everyone's fear we didn't get that vaccine until cases started showing up in numbers.

What frightening times we live in. I wonder if the workers where the vaccine was produced had background checks. Did they employ new short
term employees prior to 9/11?

Is it possible that some batches of the vaccine could be tainted by people who hired in and then left? So many ideas, so many questions, so few answers.

JudyS on 1/08/03 at 18:39 (105123)

It seems to me I remember seeing a few of those small pox vaccination marks on upper backs/shoulders.

Necee on 1/09/03 at 00:26 (105143)

I recall my mom saying years ago, that the Dr gave the shot there so we couldn't scratch the scab when it formed.
There was a small spot on my upper shoulder where the shot was given, but now as I've gotten older, it's not as noticable.

Happy trails...

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 1/09/03 at 06:42 (105147)

My scar has completely disappeared. I used to get vaccinated for smallpox pretty frequently as a child, and the scar was about the size and shape of a dime. It was no big deal to me as a child and teenager, especially because everyone who has been vaccinated has the same scar. It's really not that noticable on most people.

Just be careful not to scratch, even though it will itch like crazy for a while. If you scratch, the scar would probably be bigger.

Carole C

Nancy N on 1/09/03 at 16:46 (105174)

I asked my mom if I was vaccinated and she is pretty sure I was. Not sure about my brother, though, who was born in 1975. But I think the spot on my left shoulder is probably the scar, since it's about the size of a dime and clearly is different from the skin around it.

nancy s. on 1/09/03 at 17:13 (105176)

nancy, the way you've described your smallpox vac. scar in a few posts, it sounds exactly like the one i got when i was a kid in school. it was there for years, looking exactly as you've described it. i haven't even looked for it in a while -- it's probably faded (or got taken out with a melanoma!) -- but i'm dern sure what you have is a smallpox vac.
nancy

pala on 1/09/03 at 19:39 (105181)

my scar went away

Pauline on 1/08/03 at 16:00 (105111)

Never heard of it being given on the back. That's a new one to me. How noticable is the scar?

I remember when I had mine, the first one didn't take, nor the second, but the third one left me with a very tiny mark on my right shoulder. I'd hardly call it a scar.

I haven't made any decision if I would take the vaccine again, but like others if cases started to show up there is no doubt I'd probably run to get it. By then it might be toooo late, although when polio was everyone's fear we didn't get that vaccine until cases started showing up in numbers.

What frightening times we live in. I wonder if the workers where the vaccine was produced had background checks. Did they employ new short
term employees prior to 9/11?

Is it possible that some batches of the vaccine could be tainted by people who hired in and then left? So many ideas, so many questions, so few answers.

JudyS on 1/08/03 at 18:39 (105123)

It seems to me I remember seeing a few of those small pox vaccination marks on upper backs/shoulders.

Necee on 1/09/03 at 00:26 (105143)

I recall my mom saying years ago, that the Dr gave the shot there so we couldn't scratch the scab when it formed.
There was a small spot on my upper shoulder where the shot was given, but now as I've gotten older, it's not as noticable.

Happy trails...

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 1/09/03 at 06:42 (105147)

My scar has completely disappeared. I used to get vaccinated for smallpox pretty frequently as a child, and the scar was about the size and shape of a dime. It was no big deal to me as a child and teenager, especially because everyone who has been vaccinated has the same scar. It's really not that noticable on most people.

Just be careful not to scratch, even though it will itch like crazy for a while. If you scratch, the scar would probably be bigger.

Carole C

Nancy N on 1/09/03 at 16:46 (105174)

I asked my mom if I was vaccinated and she is pretty sure I was. Not sure about my brother, though, who was born in 1975. But I think the spot on my left shoulder is probably the scar, since it's about the size of a dime and clearly is different from the skin around it.

nancy s. on 1/09/03 at 17:13 (105176)

nancy, the way you've described your smallpox vac. scar in a few posts, it sounds exactly like the one i got when i was a kid in school. it was there for years, looking exactly as you've described it. i haven't even looked for it in a while -- it's probably faded (or got taken out with a melanoma!) -- but i'm dern sure what you have is a smallpox vac.
nancy

pala on 1/09/03 at 19:39 (105181)

my scar went away