Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Physical Therapy helpful?

Posted by Lara % on 1/08/03 at 06:55 (105084)

Has anyone found physical therapy helpful for treating TTS? If so, what did they do, and what if the cause of your TTS (if you know) and anything I and/or the PT should know that would be useful to know in deciding whether or how to pursue this.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Physical Therapy helpful?

Carl on 1/09/03 at 12:54 (105165)

Lara, I have been receiving PT for my TTS for about 5 weeks now. It's too early to know the long term affects, but during the time I've been receiving treament, it has definitely helped. I have been getting the following:
1. ultrasound
2. foot massage (mostly in the PF area)
3. icing the area where the tibial nerve runs under the ankle bone
4. stretching
I have noticed a great reduction in the pain and even less numbness. Again, I won't know for some time whether this is just temporary relief or if it has helped calm the nerves down long term. In any case, I would definitely persue PT if your doctor diagnoses TTS. If you have health insurance, it should be covered. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Carl

Lara % on 1/09/03 at 13:42 (105168)

Thanks. I'm printing this out as we speak, to save to take to my podiatrist (hopefully followed by a referral to the PT) to see if it helps.

marie e on 1/11/03 at 22:05 (105291)

Lara I had PT for about 10 weeks. I credit the fact that my meta tarsals are free from pain because of pt. But my pt knew nothing of tts and vigorously massaged directly over the tt area. My ankles were in bad shape for a long time, very swollen. The swelling has not gotten a whole lot better since. I suggest you ask your pt if they have ever worked with someone with tts, if not educate them or find someone who knows were NOT to massage. I have to say I would go back for pt because it did help.

Good Luck!

Lara % on 1/12/03 at 10:05 (105307)

Thanks. I mentioned it to my PT last visit and told her I was going to see about getting a referral for the TTS. (I'm starting to pay rent to my PT for various middle-age problems, and I hope to add TTS to the list). She said she was going to do some research on TTS before the referral came through which I thought was great. At least in our area, not many professionals are familiar with TTS, so anyone willing to do the research is terrific in my book. I'll add what you've said to give her also.)

lauriel on 1/20/03 at 13:13 (106039)

I had surgery for TTS on 12/6. I am now going through physical therapy doing LIGHT massage - ice ultrasound, elect stim and exercises, I had a previous PT that said you can not get rid of it by physical therapy, along with my Dr. But there are things to alleviate the pain, I have tried everything, even accupuncture, everything did help for awhile. but then it flared up so I chose surgery. I am going to ask my current PT about therapy pre-surgery and the effects. I think whatever helps

Laurie

Carl on 1/09/03 at 12:54 (105165)

Lara, I have been receiving PT for my TTS for about 5 weeks now. It's too early to know the long term affects, but during the time I've been receiving treament, it has definitely helped. I have been getting the following:
1. ultrasound
2. foot massage (mostly in the PF area)
3. icing the area where the tibial nerve runs under the ankle bone
4. stretching
I have noticed a great reduction in the pain and even less numbness. Again, I won't know for some time whether this is just temporary relief or if it has helped calm the nerves down long term. In any case, I would definitely persue PT if your doctor diagnoses TTS. If you have health insurance, it should be covered. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Carl

Lara % on 1/09/03 at 13:42 (105168)

Thanks. I'm printing this out as we speak, to save to take to my podiatrist (hopefully followed by a referral to the PT) to see if it helps.

marie e on 1/11/03 at 22:05 (105291)

Lara I had PT for about 10 weeks. I credit the fact that my meta tarsals are free from pain because of pt. But my pt knew nothing of tts and vigorously massaged directly over the tt area. My ankles were in bad shape for a long time, very swollen. The swelling has not gotten a whole lot better since. I suggest you ask your pt if they have ever worked with someone with tts, if not educate them or find someone who knows were NOT to massage. I have to say I would go back for pt because it did help.

Good Luck!

Lara % on 1/12/03 at 10:05 (105307)

Thanks. I mentioned it to my PT last visit and told her I was going to see about getting a referral for the TTS. (I'm starting to pay rent to my PT for various middle-age problems, and I hope to add TTS to the list). She said she was going to do some research on TTS before the referral came through which I thought was great. At least in our area, not many professionals are familiar with TTS, so anyone willing to do the research is terrific in my book. I'll add what you've said to give her also.)

lauriel on 1/20/03 at 13:13 (106039)

I had surgery for TTS on 12/6. I am now going through physical therapy doing LIGHT massage - ice ultrasound, elect stim and exercises, I had a previous PT that said you can not get rid of it by physical therapy, along with my Dr. But there are things to alleviate the pain, I have tried everything, even accupuncture, everything did help for awhile. but then it flared up so I chose surgery. I am going to ask my current PT about therapy pre-surgery and the effects. I think whatever helps

Laurie