Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel spur surgery

Posted by Moe H on 1/08/03 at 07:18 (105086)

At my job I am on hard concrete walking 9 hrs a day ,for the last 15 yrs. I am a 40 yr. old male with no history of foot problems until August 2002,when I began having discomfort in my left heel, by November this pain was so severe that I went to the foot doctor. He said I have a heel spur,in which he gave me an injection for,also he told me to have a bone scan.The bone scan reveled a fractured calcaneous.I was given an air-cast,& crutches . On my return visit 4 weeks later I still had severe pain where the spur is,the doctor gave me another injection,and instructed me to use the crutches at all times ,no heel pressure for the next two weeks,If I still have the pain he will then have to do surgery on the spur.PLease Advise.Thanks

Re: Heel spur surgery

Dr. Z on 1/08/03 at 17:35 (105118)

If you have a fracture. You may need a bone stimulator to help the fractured bone to heal. IF it was fractured you wouldn't be getting a steriod injection. IF this is chronic plantar fasciitis with a heel spur then ESWT is the best route for pain that is chronic that isn't reponding to conservative treatment such what you are going thru. Avoid heel spur surgy if possible. ESWT has none of the complications and risks that heel spur surgery has. If you want additional ESWT information e-mail Dr. Z and I will see to it that you get this information

JudyS on 1/08/03 at 19:03 (105127)

Moe - I'm not a foot doctor and I usually don't 'butt in' on a 'doctor' thread but I'd like to advise you to do a good deal of research before you go ahead with that foot surgery. You can get much of that research done here in the various areas of this website, and you can keep asking questions here. Some doctors will answer you well and some of we 'ex-sufferers' will also provide you with that most important thing; knowledge. One first thing you might want to think about before going ahead with surgery is getting a second opinion. You may even want to get that opinion from someone in your area who provides a treatment known as ESWT. (If it is determined that Plantar Fasciitis (heel spurs) are your issue.) You can read quite a lot about it on this website.

Dr. Z on 1/08/03 at 17:35 (105118)

If you have a fracture. You may need a bone stimulator to help the fractured bone to heal. IF it was fractured you wouldn't be getting a steriod injection. IF this is chronic plantar fasciitis with a heel spur then ESWT is the best route for pain that is chronic that isn't reponding to conservative treatment such what you are going thru. Avoid heel spur surgy if possible. ESWT has none of the complications and risks that heel spur surgery has. If you want additional ESWT information e-mail Dr. Z and I will see to it that you get this information

JudyS on 1/08/03 at 19:03 (105127)

Moe - I'm not a foot doctor and I usually don't 'butt in' on a 'doctor' thread but I'd like to advise you to do a good deal of research before you go ahead with that foot surgery. You can get much of that research done here in the various areas of this website, and you can keep asking questions here. Some doctors will answer you well and some of we 'ex-sufferers' will also provide you with that most important thing; knowledge. One first thing you might want to think about before going ahead with surgery is getting a second opinion. You may even want to get that opinion from someone in your area who provides a treatment known as ESWT. (If it is determined that Plantar Fasciitis (heel spurs) are your issue.) You can read quite a lot about it on this website.