Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

speaking of no-energy days.....

Posted by JudyS on 1/08/03 at 18:49 (105125)

we had a 'no energy' day forced on us yesterday by 70 mph winds! A wind storm started at about 2:30 in the morning and didn't stop for a good twelve hours. It was actually pretty frightening as we've never had one that strong before. We laid wide awake and listened to incredible gusts come at the house sounding very much like locomotives. And, of course, we listened to trees breaking. The county lost many trees (2 folks killed)- we lost many heavy branches. And our place was the only one in the neighborhood to do so! Because the downed trees/branches blocked driveway access, John and the neighborhood menfolk were out at 6:00 AM with their chainsaws. (Testosterone heaven, I think....) Amazingly, all those breaks occured toward our property so no neighboring fences or buildings were damaged. Now we just have a half-acre of Eucalyptus mess to clean up! The power outage lasted until about 4:00 PM. I guess I should be careful of what I wish for!

Re: speaking of no-energy days.....

Carole C in NOLA on 1/08/03 at 21:17 (105137)

Oh gosh, Judy! That's like a hurricane and they're scary and no fun at all. I'm glad John was able to get the driveway cleared. Looks like you have a weekend of work to do, cleaning up.

I'm glad you are all right!

Carole C

Necee on 1/09/03 at 00:19 (105142)

Wow Judy! I heard on the news about strong wind conditions in your area.
I'm glad that ya'll are ok. We've had some pretty gusty winds around here, but nothing like what you experienced. It must have been very frightening to lay awake all night listening to those trees breaking, and knowing there's nothing you can do about it.

Last week we had some rather weird weather here. Tornado season usually comes in the Spring, but with the warmer weather and severe thunderstorms that we had, sme4s were popping up all around us. Thank goodness it was during the daytime, and I was off work that day. As the winds blew and the sky darkened the warning sirens started blasting. I began pacing the floor and preparing a safe place in the hallway to retreat to if it got worse. The radio stations were reporting sme4s all around us, and I was scared to say the least! In 1994 a massive sme4 ripped through our little town and almost wiped us off the map, so I wasn't taking any chances with this one. I've never seen distruction like that sme4 of 1994, words just can't describe how things looked, three people were killed and hundreds injured. Luckly our home was spared, and I was able to spend countless hours helping my local townspeople clean up the debris, and feed the hundreds of volunteers. It amazes me how bad things draw people together and make us stronger.

Happy trails....

Necee

Re: sme4s

Carole C in NOLA on 1/09/03 at 06:35 (105146)

Necee, that sme4 back in 1994 must have been awful! I am so glad that your house was spared but the damage to your town sounds just awful. I'll bet you weren't the only one that was pretty nervous last week, under the circumstances with sme4s all around. I'm glad you are OK and I hope your town was spared any further damage from them.

A long time ago when I lived in Meridian, Mississippi, a sme4 took the roof off the building next door to me and then jumped over my apartment to completely destroy the trailer park on the other side of me. It killed several people. My apartment (which was sort of a duplex) was completely unharmed. At the time, I was home alone crouched in the center hallway and scared to death. As you probably remember they really DO sound like a freight train, as trite as that might sound.

We haven't had any 'sme4 weather' here in southeast Louisiana yet, but since we get our weather from the west perhaps it's on its way. Yesterday was in the 60's but today is predicted to be in the 70's. We don't seem to get quite as many sme4s as do places like Meridian and central Texas, though we get some every now and then.

Carole C

john h on 1/09/03 at 09:31 (105155)

I was in two large toranados. One in Waco in the 50's which took out much of the town and one in Silverton, Texas which took out the entire town with a lot of lost life. In west Texas it is completely flat with few trees so you can usually see these coming, I have seen as many as four at one time. On one occasion baseball size hail damaged evey B-25 on our air base in Lubbock and we did not fly for nearly two weeks. I was in my car and drove off the road and up against the side of a barracks and laid on the floor. The hail took our my windshield and my car looked like someone had taken a large hammer and beat it up.

pala on 1/09/03 at 10:18 (105159)

i was in a sme4e while walking three yorkshire terriers. as i ran for safety they were flying behind me at the ends of their leashes like kites. we all made it.

JudyS on 1/09/03 at 11:43 (105163)

No cleaning up for me this weekend.......'fraid I have to go play ball in a tournament 100 miles north of my yard's mess! :)

Necee on 1/09/03 at 15:45 (105171)

Wow John, what an experience. I hope I never see hail that big!
The sme4 we had here was so bad that it literally stripped the leaves and bark off the trees. To see nothing but a concrete foundation where a house once stood is just unbelievable. Springtime in Texas always makes me nervous, and with these unusually warm winter days it feels more like Spring.
Come on snow and cold weather, I just know theres more to this winter than what we've seen so far.....even the Canadian snow geese are confused, most of them have been heading back north, we saw what seemed like hundreds of them last weekend flying north.

Happy trails....

Necee

Necee on 1/09/03 at 15:46 (105172)

Carole, I know you counted your blessings that day!!

Happy trails..

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 1/09/03 at 16:33 (105173)

I sure did, Necee, and I know that you know how I felt!

Carole C

Kathy G on 1/10/03 at 10:13 (105201)

As I've said here before, sme4es terrify me. Having lived in New England my entire life, I've never seen one. I may have told this story before, but at the risk of boring everyone, here goes:

When we got married thirty years ago, we lived in the south part of the city and my parents lived in the north. The northside was hit with a minor sme4 but it was big news. When I called my mother, a first generation Irish catholic, to make sure all was well, I said, 'What was it like?'

She said, 'I missed the whole thing.'

When I asked how, she said, 'I spent the whole time looking for the damn blessed candles. By the time I found them, the whole thing was over! I never saw a thing!'

For those of you who might not understand, old-time Catholics, maybe current ones, too, used to have candles that had been blessed by the priest. During thunder storms, hurricaines, etc., one was supposed to light the candle to help keep them safe.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/08/03 at 21:17 (105137)

Oh gosh, Judy! That's like a hurricane and they're scary and no fun at all. I'm glad John was able to get the driveway cleared. Looks like you have a weekend of work to do, cleaning up.

I'm glad you are all right!

Carole C

Necee on 1/09/03 at 00:19 (105142)

Wow Judy! I heard on the news about strong wind conditions in your area.
I'm glad that ya'll are ok. We've had some pretty gusty winds around here, but nothing like what you experienced. It must have been very frightening to lay awake all night listening to those trees breaking, and knowing there's nothing you can do about it.

Last week we had some rather weird weather here. Tornado season usually comes in the Spring, but with the warmer weather and severe thunderstorms that we had, sme4s were popping up all around us. Thank goodness it was during the daytime, and I was off work that day. As the winds blew and the sky darkened the warning sirens started blasting. I began pacing the floor and preparing a safe place in the hallway to retreat to if it got worse. The radio stations were reporting sme4s all around us, and I was scared to say the least! In 1994 a massive sme4 ripped through our little town and almost wiped us off the map, so I wasn't taking any chances with this one. I've never seen distruction like that sme4 of 1994, words just can't describe how things looked, three people were killed and hundreds injured. Luckly our home was spared, and I was able to spend countless hours helping my local townspeople clean up the debris, and feed the hundreds of volunteers. It amazes me how bad things draw people together and make us stronger.

Happy trails....

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 1/09/03 at 06:35 (105146)

Necee, that sme4 back in 1994 must have been awful! I am so glad that your house was spared but the damage to your town sounds just awful. I'll bet you weren't the only one that was pretty nervous last week, under the circumstances with sme4s all around. I'm glad you are OK and I hope your town was spared any further damage from them.

A long time ago when I lived in Meridian, Mississippi, a sme4 took the roof off the building next door to me and then jumped over my apartment to completely destroy the trailer park on the other side of me. It killed several people. My apartment (which was sort of a duplex) was completely unharmed. At the time, I was home alone crouched in the center hallway and scared to death. As you probably remember they really DO sound like a freight train, as trite as that might sound.

We haven't had any 'sme4 weather' here in southeast Louisiana yet, but since we get our weather from the west perhaps it's on its way. Yesterday was in the 60's but today is predicted to be in the 70's. We don't seem to get quite as many sme4s as do places like Meridian and central Texas, though we get some every now and then.

Carole C

john h on 1/09/03 at 09:31 (105155)

I was in two large toranados. One in Waco in the 50's which took out much of the town and one in Silverton, Texas which took out the entire town with a lot of lost life. In west Texas it is completely flat with few trees so you can usually see these coming, I have seen as many as four at one time. On one occasion baseball size hail damaged evey B-25 on our air base in Lubbock and we did not fly for nearly two weeks. I was in my car and drove off the road and up against the side of a barracks and laid on the floor. The hail took our my windshield and my car looked like someone had taken a large hammer and beat it up.

pala on 1/09/03 at 10:18 (105159)

i was in a sme4e while walking three yorkshire terriers. as i ran for safety they were flying behind me at the ends of their leashes like kites. we all made it.

JudyS on 1/09/03 at 11:43 (105163)

No cleaning up for me this weekend.......'fraid I have to go play ball in a tournament 100 miles north of my yard's mess! :)

Necee on 1/09/03 at 15:45 (105171)

Wow John, what an experience. I hope I never see hail that big!
The sme4 we had here was so bad that it literally stripped the leaves and bark off the trees. To see nothing but a concrete foundation where a house once stood is just unbelievable. Springtime in Texas always makes me nervous, and with these unusually warm winter days it feels more like Spring.
Come on snow and cold weather, I just know theres more to this winter than what we've seen so far.....even the Canadian snow geese are confused, most of them have been heading back north, we saw what seemed like hundreds of them last weekend flying north.

Happy trails....

Necee

Necee on 1/09/03 at 15:46 (105172)

Carole, I know you counted your blessings that day!!

Happy trails..

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 1/09/03 at 16:33 (105173)

I sure did, Necee, and I know that you know how I felt!

Carole C

Kathy G on 1/10/03 at 10:13 (105201)

As I've said here before, sme4es terrify me. Having lived in New England my entire life, I've never seen one. I may have told this story before, but at the risk of boring everyone, here goes:

When we got married thirty years ago, we lived in the south part of the city and my parents lived in the north. The northside was hit with a minor sme4 but it was big news. When I called my mother, a first generation Irish catholic, to make sure all was well, I said, 'What was it like?'

She said, 'I missed the whole thing.'

When I asked how, she said, 'I spent the whole time looking for the damn blessed candles. By the time I found them, the whole thing was over! I never saw a thing!'

For those of you who might not understand, old-time Catholics, maybe current ones, too, used to have candles that had been blessed by the priest. During thunder storms, hurricaines, etc., one was supposed to light the candle to help keep them safe.