Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF CAME BACK

Posted by Debbie E on 1/09/03 at 19:08 (105179)

About six months ago I began having heel pain. When I went to the doctor she told me to use orthotics. I did, several different OTC ones, with limited success. The pain in my right foot improved while the pain in my left foot worsened. About 6 weeks ago I had a Lidocaine injection in my left foot, and was then about 98% pain free. I continue to wear heel cushions, but yesterday the left heel pain returned with a vengeance. I'm wondering if ESWT is my next option or if it is even an option with Kaiser Health Insurance.

Re: PF CAME BACK

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/10/03 at 11:22 (105208)

Debbie:

Lidocaine is a local anesthetic that lasts for 3 to 4 hours. Are you sure that the injection did not also contain cortisone.

Remember the treatment triad discussed on this site. One must treat the problematic biomechanics (if present), inflammation and tissue quality.
It sounds like you are still at step 1.
Ed

Debbie E on 1/10/03 at 12:37 (105214)

Ed, thanks for the reply - all I really know is that I signed something saying that I understood that I got a shot of Lidocaine. Are you saying that I should be having a follow up shot and/or treatment or is this just all part of the process? I am not familiar with the treatment triad discussed - I'll look for it.

Marty on 1/11/03 at 13:42 (105268)

I'm by far no expert but if I were you seeing that it has not been a problem for to long now I would definitely take measures now to get this under control. Go to an expert and read the Scots book found on this site but remember there's allot of knowladge there and to do the basics first. Be careful with the heel pads they can make things worse. Main things to do I think is: 1- Go to an expert 2- Rest 3- Ice 4- More rest 5- Stretches and never get out of bed without stretching first! 5- Proper foot gear and 6- Come here and ask questions.

Marty

BruceF on 1/16/03 at 20:53 (105654)

DebbieE
I got PF and heel spur suddenly about 5 months ago. I visited my DPM who diagnosed the PF, but did not take an X-ray and diagnose the heelspur. At her suggestion,I tried stretching, orthotics, celebrex, injections (another one next week by my orthopod because I gave up on the DPM)to no avail. By sure luck, I went to the YMCA (been a member for years-handball player) and spoke to the masseur. He said give to give him 3 visits and I will make the PF disappear. He vigorously (painfully-the first visit) massaged the PF area for 5 minutes. The second visit was less painful and by the third visit no PF pain-just the heel spur which was seen on the x-ray taken by the orthopod. I got rid of the PF pain and a massage for $25 a visit. May be I just got lucky with the PF, but the heel spur is a real bummer. I am trying to play hurt by cushioning the heel big time, but the recuperation is getting longer and so I am looking into eswt.
Best of luck

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/10/03 at 11:22 (105208)

Debbie:

Lidocaine is a local anesthetic that lasts for 3 to 4 hours. Are you sure that the injection did not also contain cortisone.

Remember the treatment triad discussed on this site. One must treat the problematic biomechanics (if present), inflammation and tissue quality.
It sounds like you are still at step 1.
Ed

Debbie E on 1/10/03 at 12:37 (105214)

Ed, thanks for the reply - all I really know is that I signed something saying that I understood that I got a shot of Lidocaine. Are you saying that I should be having a follow up shot and/or treatment or is this just all part of the process? I am not familiar with the treatment triad discussed - I'll look for it.

Marty on 1/11/03 at 13:42 (105268)

I'm by far no expert but if I were you seeing that it has not been a problem for to long now I would definitely take measures now to get this under control. Go to an expert and read the Scots book found on this site but remember there's allot of knowladge there and to do the basics first. Be careful with the heel pads they can make things worse. Main things to do I think is: 1- Go to an expert 2- Rest 3- Ice 4- More rest 5- Stretches and never get out of bed without stretching first! 5- Proper foot gear and 6- Come here and ask questions.

Marty

BruceF on 1/16/03 at 20:53 (105654)

DebbieE
I got PF and heel spur suddenly about 5 months ago. I visited my DPM who diagnosed the PF, but did not take an X-ray and diagnose the heelspur. At her suggestion,I tried stretching, orthotics, celebrex, injections (another one next week by my orthopod because I gave up on the DPM)to no avail. By sure luck, I went to the YMCA (been a member for years-handball player) and spoke to the masseur. He said give to give him 3 visits and I will make the PF disappear. He vigorously (painfully-the first visit) massaged the PF area for 5 minutes. The second visit was less painful and by the third visit no PF pain-just the heel spur which was seen on the x-ray taken by the orthopod. I got rid of the PF pain and a massage for $25 a visit. May be I just got lucky with the PF, but the heel spur is a real bummer. I am trying to play hurt by cushioning the heel big time, but the recuperation is getting longer and so I am looking into eswt.
Best of luck