Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New to this pain. Have ? about shots.

Posted by Lois G on 1/09/03 at 21:25 (105186)

Wow, read that some of you have had heel pain for years. Mine has been a couple months. Does getting shots of cortizone help? I have Heel Fasciitis This is all so new to me but the pain is getting pretty old. thanks

Re: New to this pain. Have ? about shots.

Jan H on 1/10/03 at 08:46 (105198)

Shots of cortisone help some people. The first one I had helped for about 2 months. Some people never get the heel pain back after the first shot and for some it doesn't work at all. They are usually pretty painful, so be prepared for that.

Marty on 1/11/03 at 15:58 (105275)

You say you have PF, how do you know this for sure? Have you seen anyone about this pain yet? I'm assuming so since you have mentioned cortisone shots. If you have only had the pain for a couple of months that is a good thing! But depending on what you have and just how much abuse or just how active you have been for the past couple of months can greatly depend on how long it takes to get better. I went 2 years before I got help. Well actually I had my first cortisone shot when I was 10 years old and now I'm 42 years old. Little league football injury. Man as I look back on my football, baseball and karate activities I sure would do it different if I could do it over again. Anyway enough of me.... and what I've been thru. For what it's worth here's what you might could do now to help:
1- Go to an expert
2- Rest
3- Ice
4- More rest
5- Stretches and never get out of bed without stretching first! (Properly)
6- Proper foot gear
7- Come here and ask questions.

Marty

Lois G on 1/11/03 at 21:13 (105287)

Yep, went to expert, atleast I thought. Going to get a second opinion & someone that I think has more experience. It's hard to rest since I must be on my feet all day(own my business). Ice did not make it feel better. I do stetches & wear special inserts in shoes. My calves have been hurting & I thought it was from the stretches till I read this board. Cortisone shots helped a relative, so was hoping there would be hope for me. Dr. gave me samples of Celebrex & that helps the pain but I(like everyone else, I'm sure) don't want to cover the pain up, I want it HEALED!!! I bought the soft heel cups & am using them with my insoles & it seems to really help. After walking around with no shoes for just a short time, the pain gets worse. Is this heel pain easier(or more successful) to treat if you've only had it a couple months? Never knew so many people have this pain.

Marty on 1/12/03 at 10:07 (105308)

Oh there's a bunch of us all right. Yes it's better to address the problem now for you. Good to go to an expert too. Sounds like you have been reading here. Allot to read and you might get confused a bit with all the stuff to read. Anyway if the pain gets worse when your go bare foot don't go bare foot. That's a bummer that your on your feet all day. Going to make it hard. Well in my opinion anyway. All I have to go off of is myself. You need to start tracking what's going on and try to get a handle on it. Like: When did it start hurting ans way. When does it hurt most? Where does it hurt most? What makes it hurt more? - Like no shores. What seems to help the most? Why does some things not work? - Like the ice. I found that the ice packs you can buy and then freeze work much better the a bucket. Reason, I can wrap them on in a curtain way throughout the day in smaller amounts of time. Like quick little burst of cold then let them warm back up, then do it again work wonders for me. Other might not work better. Anyway be patient and be smart. Don't think you can just kind of baby it a little like a sports injury and it will go away. Be creative at work to get as much time off your feet as you can. I sit on desks, kneel on my knees etc. Good luck and if you think of things to ask right them down, ask your doctor and ask here. Allot to knowable people here.

Marty

Re: New to this pain. Have ? about shots. -- to Lois

nancy s. on 1/13/03 at 02:51 (105332)

hi lois: marty gave you good advice. in addition, please don't walk barefoot At All. if you've had pf for a couple of months, that's long enough to commit to some of the basic principles of conservative treatment, including never going barefoot. your injured foot or feet need support at all times when you're weight-bearing -- even in the shower. you can buy inexpensive shower shoes or rubber sandals. most people here do, in an effort not to allow the condition to become chronic.

have you read scott's heel pain book on this site? click on the blue link here --tons of great info in there.

cortisone is almost always, at best, a temporary relief for the pain, and for most people it doesn't even do that much. not that you shouldn't try it, but it most likely won't address the source of your pain.

if you find after two months that you're only getting worse or not improving, please consider that rest is vitally important. i have my own business too and thought i couldn't possibly take time off my feet because of it. after pushing and working through the pain for *eight* months, i realized i was doing a lot more damage. i was ultimately forced to put my business on hold for nearly two years.

if i had it to do over, i would put my business on hold in a heartbeat, go into debt, and do everything, absolutely everything i could think of and learn about, to get my feet well.

i was heartbroken to give up my business when i finally did. i said to my sister, 'you can't imagine how difficult it is to give up the thing you like to do most.' i was thinking of my work; but she said, 'you mean, like, WALK?' that got my priorities straightened out fast! and the one is mostly certainly connected to the other. if you don't put the ability to walk first, you're not going to be able to continue your business either.

but at two months you have every reason to be optimistic that you'll get this thing under control. just put your feet first, and the other important things in your life will follow and continue to be possible in the long run.

nancy

at two months, you're in a much better position to do what needs to be done right now -- like rest, and only non-weight-bearing stretching -- and heal fairly quickly, if you take it seriously and give your feet top priority.

nancy s. on 1/13/03 at 02:56 (105333)

whoops, you can see from the straggler at the end that i'm typing in the middle of the night and not in top form!

i want to add: i'm now back in business. i'd just like to see it happen for you within several months to a year, instead of the two years it took me. best of luck to you, lois.

Lois G on 1/13/03 at 10:48 (105353)

Thank you Nancy for your response. By what you are saying, is it posible to cure(or at least have syptom free) pain without any major medical things such as shots or sound wave or surgery? My foot doesn't hurt anymore when I get out of bed. As long as I have my shoes(with insoles & heel cups) on, I have almost no pain at all. Been having hubby rub my foot everyday by using his thumbs & going back & forth(crossing one another) up & down the bottom of my foot. I think that is helping alot. Not only do I walk & stand alot at work, I stand when Im home making candles. That I'd hate to have to give up. Thanks again for your imput.

nancy s. on 1/13/03 at 22:28 (105423)

lois, yes, it certainly is possible to recover from pf using conservative measures only, without major treatment such as ESWT or surgery. most people *do* recover that way, and they recover quickly enough that we don't even see most of them here. many people who end up at this site are ones who have more chronic cases or have other complications/conditions along with pf -- such as myself.

i don't think anyone knows the statistics here, but although many people here are still struggling, others had cases that resolved relatively quickly. two regular posters who got their pf under control fairly quickly, but stay around to help others, are carole c and julie f. no doubt there are others.

did you have the acute pain that many have upon getting up when you first got pf? if so and you no longer have it, i would bet that you're going to be one of the faster healers, so long as you continue to take care of your feet and manage them so that you don't have relapses. the massage your husband does sounds like a good thing, and sounds similar to part of my six-month physical therapy treatments.

i believe the general rule for ESWT candidates, assuming your pain is at the insertional point or somewhere else easily isolated, is that the patient try conservative treatments for at least six months and get nowhere. and surgery is the very last resort, to be resorted to long after six months -- more like a year and a half to two years, at least, in my own opinion, and not until everything else has been tried, including ESWT.

to continue your healing, though, i'd do everything possible to minimize your walking and standing while at work and while at home making candles. some people here have a stool placed wherever they usually have to stand -- even at the kitchen sink for doing dishes. can you use a stool at work ever? i would think that at least part of the time while making candles you could take the load off your feet and sit on a stool.

take the cautious route, is my advice, and your chances of a full and complete recovery are much greater.

nancy

Lois G on 1/14/03 at 10:23 (105453)

Thanks for the info, Nancy. I am trying to sit as muchh as possible. My calves aren't hurting as bad(I thought it was just from favoring my foot) I also noticed that my little toe area is hurting just like the heel. Could this injury have happened from walking on my tip-toes when I first got this hf? If my heel would hurt badly, I would walk this way till I could sit down.

nancy s. on 1/14/03 at 10:59 (105455)

lois, 'walking funny,' as many of us with pf have, can cause any number of further foot problems. (too bad we learn this only in retrospect!) i would see a foot doctor about this new pain in your toe so it can be addressed promptly and not (possibly) become a larger problem. please don't put it off; much better to be safe than sorry.

nancy

Jan H on 1/10/03 at 08:46 (105198)

Shots of cortisone help some people. The first one I had helped for about 2 months. Some people never get the heel pain back after the first shot and for some it doesn't work at all. They are usually pretty painful, so be prepared for that.

Marty on 1/11/03 at 15:58 (105275)

You say you have PF, how do you know this for sure? Have you seen anyone about this pain yet? I'm assuming so since you have mentioned cortisone shots. If you have only had the pain for a couple of months that is a good thing! But depending on what you have and just how much abuse or just how active you have been for the past couple of months can greatly depend on how long it takes to get better. I went 2 years before I got help. Well actually I had my first cortisone shot when I was 10 years old and now I'm 42 years old. Little league football injury. Man as I look back on my football, baseball and karate activities I sure would do it different if I could do it over again. Anyway enough of me.... and what I've been thru. For what it's worth here's what you might could do now to help:
1- Go to an expert
2- Rest
3- Ice
4- More rest
5- Stretches and never get out of bed without stretching first! (Properly)
6- Proper foot gear
7- Come here and ask questions.

Marty

Lois G on 1/11/03 at 21:13 (105287)

Yep, went to expert, atleast I thought. Going to get a second opinion & someone that I think has more experience. It's hard to rest since I must be on my feet all day(own my business). Ice did not make it feel better. I do stetches & wear special inserts in shoes. My calves have been hurting & I thought it was from the stretches till I read this board. Cortisone shots helped a relative, so was hoping there would be hope for me. Dr. gave me samples of Celebrex & that helps the pain but I(like everyone else, I'm sure) don't want to cover the pain up, I want it HEALED!!! I bought the soft heel cups & am using them with my insoles & it seems to really help. After walking around with no shoes for just a short time, the pain gets worse. Is this heel pain easier(or more successful) to treat if you've only had it a couple months? Never knew so many people have this pain.

Marty on 1/12/03 at 10:07 (105308)

Oh there's a bunch of us all right. Yes it's better to address the problem now for you. Good to go to an expert too. Sounds like you have been reading here. Allot to read and you might get confused a bit with all the stuff to read. Anyway if the pain gets worse when your go bare foot don't go bare foot. That's a bummer that your on your feet all day. Going to make it hard. Well in my opinion anyway. All I have to go off of is myself. You need to start tracking what's going on and try to get a handle on it. Like: When did it start hurting ans way. When does it hurt most? Where does it hurt most? What makes it hurt more? - Like no shores. What seems to help the most? Why does some things not work? - Like the ice. I found that the ice packs you can buy and then freeze work much better the a bucket. Reason, I can wrap them on in a curtain way throughout the day in smaller amounts of time. Like quick little burst of cold then let them warm back up, then do it again work wonders for me. Other might not work better. Anyway be patient and be smart. Don't think you can just kind of baby it a little like a sports injury and it will go away. Be creative at work to get as much time off your feet as you can. I sit on desks, kneel on my knees etc. Good luck and if you think of things to ask right them down, ask your doctor and ask here. Allot to knowable people here.

Marty

nancy s. on 1/13/03 at 02:51 (105332)

hi lois: marty gave you good advice. in addition, please don't walk barefoot At All. if you've had pf for a couple of months, that's long enough to commit to some of the basic principles of conservative treatment, including never going barefoot. your injured foot or feet need support at all times when you're weight-bearing -- even in the shower. you can buy inexpensive shower shoes or rubber sandals. most people here do, in an effort not to allow the condition to become chronic.

have you read scott's heel pain book on this site? click on the blue link here --tons of great info in there.

cortisone is almost always, at best, a temporary relief for the pain, and for most people it doesn't even do that much. not that you shouldn't try it, but it most likely won't address the source of your pain.

if you find after two months that you're only getting worse or not improving, please consider that rest is vitally important. i have my own business too and thought i couldn't possibly take time off my feet because of it. after pushing and working through the pain for *eight* months, i realized i was doing a lot more damage. i was ultimately forced to put my business on hold for nearly two years.

if i had it to do over, i would put my business on hold in a heartbeat, go into debt, and do everything, absolutely everything i could think of and learn about, to get my feet well.

i was heartbroken to give up my business when i finally did. i said to my sister, 'you can't imagine how difficult it is to give up the thing you like to do most.' i was thinking of my work; but she said, 'you mean, like, WALK?' that got my priorities straightened out fast! and the one is mostly certainly connected to the other. if you don't put the ability to walk first, you're not going to be able to continue your business either.

but at two months you have every reason to be optimistic that you'll get this thing under control. just put your feet first, and the other important things in your life will follow and continue to be possible in the long run.

nancy

at two months, you're in a much better position to do what needs to be done right now -- like rest, and only non-weight-bearing stretching -- and heal fairly quickly, if you take it seriously and give your feet top priority.

nancy s. on 1/13/03 at 02:56 (105333)

whoops, you can see from the straggler at the end that i'm typing in the middle of the night and not in top form!

i want to add: i'm now back in business. i'd just like to see it happen for you within several months to a year, instead of the two years it took me. best of luck to you, lois.

Lois G on 1/13/03 at 10:48 (105353)

Thank you Nancy for your response. By what you are saying, is it posible to cure(or at least have syptom free) pain without any major medical things such as shots or sound wave or surgery? My foot doesn't hurt anymore when I get out of bed. As long as I have my shoes(with insoles & heel cups) on, I have almost no pain at all. Been having hubby rub my foot everyday by using his thumbs & going back & forth(crossing one another) up & down the bottom of my foot. I think that is helping alot. Not only do I walk & stand alot at work, I stand when Im home making candles. That I'd hate to have to give up. Thanks again for your imput.

nancy s. on 1/13/03 at 22:28 (105423)

lois, yes, it certainly is possible to recover from pf using conservative measures only, without major treatment such as ESWT or surgery. most people *do* recover that way, and they recover quickly enough that we don't even see most of them here. many people who end up at this site are ones who have more chronic cases or have other complications/conditions along with pf -- such as myself.

i don't think anyone knows the statistics here, but although many people here are still struggling, others had cases that resolved relatively quickly. two regular posters who got their pf under control fairly quickly, but stay around to help others, are carole c and julie f. no doubt there are others.

did you have the acute pain that many have upon getting up when you first got pf? if so and you no longer have it, i would bet that you're going to be one of the faster healers, so long as you continue to take care of your feet and manage them so that you don't have relapses. the massage your husband does sounds like a good thing, and sounds similar to part of my six-month physical therapy treatments.

i believe the general rule for ESWT candidates, assuming your pain is at the insertional point or somewhere else easily isolated, is that the patient try conservative treatments for at least six months and get nowhere. and surgery is the very last resort, to be resorted to long after six months -- more like a year and a half to two years, at least, in my own opinion, and not until everything else has been tried, including ESWT.

to continue your healing, though, i'd do everything possible to minimize your walking and standing while at work and while at home making candles. some people here have a stool placed wherever they usually have to stand -- even at the kitchen sink for doing dishes. can you use a stool at work ever? i would think that at least part of the time while making candles you could take the load off your feet and sit on a stool.

take the cautious route, is my advice, and your chances of a full and complete recovery are much greater.

nancy

Lois G on 1/14/03 at 10:23 (105453)

Thanks for the info, Nancy. I am trying to sit as muchh as possible. My calves aren't hurting as bad(I thought it was just from favoring my foot) I also noticed that my little toe area is hurting just like the heel. Could this injury have happened from walking on my tip-toes when I first got this hf? If my heel would hurt badly, I would walk this way till I could sit down.

nancy s. on 1/14/03 at 10:59 (105455)

lois, 'walking funny,' as many of us with pf have, can cause any number of further foot problems. (too bad we learn this only in retrospect!) i would see a foot doctor about this new pain in your toe so it can be addressed promptly and not (possibly) become a larger problem. please don't put it off; much better to be safe than sorry.

nancy