Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Where to have tests read? & ??Dr. Dellon??

Posted by Sheila S on 1/10/03 at 04:17 (105188)

Good morning,

One of you, I think Dr. Davis, once told me where he sends his test results to be read (MRI, I think) but I couldn't find the thread. Can you pass that along again? I've decided to go ahead and have an MRI done on my foot and see if it shows anything. I'd like it to be read experts that are extremely familiar with seeing neuromas or similar problems.

Also, Dr. Dellon wrote me back and said does the exact surgery and handling of the problem I have. Any thoughts there? You can email me if you like at (email removed)

Thanks!!!

Re: Where to have tests read? & ??Dr. Dellon??

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/10/03 at 12:33 (105212)

Sheila:

Most MRIs do not have sufficient resolution to provide much useful information for your situation. Some specialty MRIs using 'extremity coils' are better but hard to find -- it is the type of device that matters somewhat more than who is doing the reading. Most MRIs are read by 'in-house' radiologists. I am sure that Dr. Dellon would do a very good job on this type of surgery. You may want to ask him about his opinion as to whether or where to obtain an MRI before proceeding.
Ed

Dr. Z on 1/10/03 at 18:00 (105229)

I agree with Dr. Davis. Here is how I look at your situation. A plantar incisiion is going to really let the doctor see the entire area. In most cases your problem is a piece of nerve in the plantar capsule of the metatarsal head. You are in pain and this is really the only way to get rid of your pain. The procedure works. I have seen this problem and the plantar approach take care of the pain. The only other situation could be that the fat padding has been removed either from surgery or from too many steriod injection that being the case a fat pad injection would be the way to go . ALL of this can be determined by a doctor just with a physical examination and experience

Pauline on 1/11/03 at 14:39 (105272)

Dr. Z,
What is a fat pad injection? Do they inject fat or an artificial product into the foot like they do between knee joints for cushioning?

Dr. Z on 1/12/03 at 20:51 (105327)

they take fat from one part of the human body and injection it into another part. It is a type of plastic surgery of some sort. It can work but does have a fair degree for the need for repeating the procedure due to drifting and absorption of the fat. It can work

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/10/03 at 12:33 (105212)

Sheila:

Most MRIs do not have sufficient resolution to provide much useful information for your situation. Some specialty MRIs using 'extremity coils' are better but hard to find -- it is the type of device that matters somewhat more than who is doing the reading. Most MRIs are read by 'in-house' radiologists. I am sure that Dr. Dellon would do a very good job on this type of surgery. You may want to ask him about his opinion as to whether or where to obtain an MRI before proceeding.
Ed

Dr. Z on 1/10/03 at 18:00 (105229)

I agree with Dr. Davis. Here is how I look at your situation. A plantar incisiion is going to really let the doctor see the entire area. In most cases your problem is a piece of nerve in the plantar capsule of the metatarsal head. You are in pain and this is really the only way to get rid of your pain. The procedure works. I have seen this problem and the plantar approach take care of the pain. The only other situation could be that the fat padding has been removed either from surgery or from too many steriod injection that being the case a fat pad injection would be the way to go . ALL of this can be determined by a doctor just with a physical examination and experience

Pauline on 1/11/03 at 14:39 (105272)

Dr. Z,
What is a fat pad injection? Do they inject fat or an artificial product into the foot like they do between knee joints for cushioning?

Dr. Z on 1/12/03 at 20:51 (105327)

they take fat from one part of the human body and injection it into another part. It is a type of plastic surgery of some sort. It can work but does have a fair degree for the need for repeating the procedure due to drifting and absorption of the fat. It can work