Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Another positive report

Posted by Maggie L. on 1/10/03 at 15:02 (105217)

Just wanted to put my two cents in on PF surgery. I haven't been to this board in awhile, mainly because I'm having a positive recovery so far (knock on wood). I had the surgery on my right foot early June, 2002, and the left was done early September, 2002. I have experienced quite a bit of improvement over the months. I have all along been better off then before the surgeries, so I was glad about that, but the healing process does take awhile and there were times I wondered just how much better it would get. I am happy to report it continues to improve, to the point where I would say I'm 90% pain free.

I still have some pain right at the incision point if I press in on the more recent foot, none on the first foot. There are times when my feet just feel kind of tired and all over sore after a day of walking, but the actual specific sharp heel pain is far, far less frequent than before. I would say I fairly rarely get it in the first foot, and only a little more often in the more recent foot. I am to see my doc again in 1 - 2 months for my (we both hope) final check-in follow-up appointment. I know for some it has not been successful, and I'm always saddened to read other posters' stories of failed surgeries. But for me it seems that it was the right thing to do. Just wanted to post a positive result.

Take care,
Maggie

Re: Another positive report

Barb C on 1/10/03 at 19:31 (105235)

I'm so happy for you Maggie! Isn't it wonderful to get some relief? What type of surgery did you have? What were the post surgery instructions?

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/11/03 at 14:55 (105274)

Maggie:
Thank you for your post. You are with the majority of individuals who have had surgery. The procedure is succesful about 60 to 70% of the time -- the boards tend to have more posts from individuals who have not had success with the surgery since they are still looking for a cure.
Ed

kay on 1/11/03 at 19:05 (105282)

god i am so jealous. but happy for you maggie
kay

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/13/03 at 17:37 (105403)

We only hear about the bad results. I still would like ESWT available to everyone before pf release but I soooo glad that you are on the right track. IT will take up to six months to one year for your foot to get back to normal

Re: why

why on 1/19/03 at 17:45 (105958)

Why you use that can of language kay, please be more respecfull to your maker.

Maggie L. on 1/21/03 at 14:25 (106156)

Thanks for everybody's kind words. As for what kind of surgery - it was open, and it was partial fascia release. I was in a cast splint thing for a week to ten days, then a regular cast for another week and a half to two weeks. That whole time plus another 1.5 to 2 weeks or so I was told to be completely non-weightbearing. Following that I was to ease into putting weight on it, then ease back into doing the stretches. It was about a total of 5 weeks from the surgery day to the day I was walking with no crutches. This was about the same for each foot, give or take. I was to keep it elevated as much as possible throughout that whole process. The size of the incisions is different between the two feet - one was very small and had 3-4 stitches, the other was longer and maybe 6 or 7 stitches. I had Vicodin for the first few days, followed by Relafen to take as needed after that.

Barb C on 1/10/03 at 19:31 (105235)

I'm so happy for you Maggie! Isn't it wonderful to get some relief? What type of surgery did you have? What were the post surgery instructions?

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/11/03 at 14:55 (105274)

Maggie:
Thank you for your post. You are with the majority of individuals who have had surgery. The procedure is succesful about 60 to 70% of the time -- the boards tend to have more posts from individuals who have not had success with the surgery since they are still looking for a cure.
Ed

kay on 1/11/03 at 19:05 (105282)

god i am so jealous. but happy for you maggie
kay

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/13/03 at 17:37 (105403)

We only hear about the bad results. I still would like ESWT available to everyone before pf release but I soooo glad that you are on the right track. IT will take up to six months to one year for your foot to get back to normal

Re: why

why on 1/19/03 at 17:45 (105958)

Why you use that can of language kay, please be more respecfull to your maker.

Maggie L. on 1/21/03 at 14:25 (106156)

Thanks for everybody's kind words. As for what kind of surgery - it was open, and it was partial fascia release. I was in a cast splint thing for a week to ten days, then a regular cast for another week and a half to two weeks. That whole time plus another 1.5 to 2 weeks or so I was told to be completely non-weightbearing. Following that I was to ease into putting weight on it, then ease back into doing the stretches. It was about a total of 5 weeks from the surgery day to the day I was walking with no crutches. This was about the same for each foot, give or take. I was to keep it elevated as much as possible throughout that whole process. The size of the incisions is different between the two feet - one was very small and had 3-4 stitches, the other was longer and maybe 6 or 7 stitches. I had Vicodin for the first few days, followed by Relafen to take as needed after that.