Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Calves

Posted by Celia C. on 1/10/03 at 15:36 (105219)

I've had PF for over four years now. I've noticed that when my chiropractor applies A.R.T. to my feet, he also works on my calves because they're always super tight and hard. My cardio consists of 10 minutes elliptical and 25 minutes on a stationary bike. I do a lot of stretches afterwards, but I always feel like I have knots in my legs. I occasionally follow up with massage therapy, but my legs always seem to tighten up with any kind of activity I do. Could I be lacking some type of mineral I'm needing. Do you think that if I massage my legs once a day that I could possibly release the tightness therefore releasing a lot of the PF problem I have?

Re: Calves

IanJ on 1/10/03 at 17:13 (105224)

Celia,

One of the ways I try to massage my calves is to use the knee of my other leg so that I place my left calf on top of my right knee and move it around. Seems to help. I'm also working on stretching my hamstrings which my PT thinks are too tight.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/11/03 at 14:51 (105273)

Celia:
Tight calf muscles can be a factor in plantar fasciitis. There is a lot more to treating PF. Read Scott's Heel Pain Book and study this site.
Four years is a long time to have plantar fasciitis. It can become harder to get rid of if left untreated for a long period.
Ed

Celia C on 1/13/03 at 13:37 (105368)

Thanks Ian and Ed for your replies. For four years I've been seeking treatment to no avail! I've tried every gadget you can think of. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia four years ago also which I've always ignored because I don't believe in it. However, now that I'm reading that others have Fibro, I'm wondering if I should of taken those anti-depressants a long time ago! I just didn't want to become addicted to prescription drugs. I'm doing fine, though, and have kept working out regardless of my pain because I hurt more when I don't exercise at all. My chiropractor does A.R.T. on my legs and feet. I feel like my legs want to split in half when he does it. I've been basically seeing him now because no other doctor has had an answer nor a deep interest with my problem. My chiropractor insists that I run so I've been doing about a mile three times a week.

I know that my back is a big contributor also. I have scoliosis also! Sheesh! I am thankful that I do have my legs to walk, though.

Beginning this weekend, my boyfriend, who has been a fabulous supporter through this, has been massaging my calves at night before I go to sleep. He does feel how extremely hard they get. In the morning, I tend to stretch before I get up. I try to stretch as much as I can. I agree that four years is too damn loooooong!!

I just don't know what to do anymore. I sure can't afford surgery.

I've bought a couple of gadgets from Scott's web site, but they haven't helped either. Oh, well......

Richard, C.Ped on 1/14/03 at 09:42 (105450)

I think it might be possible that the tight calves is causing a short heel cord. The excercises you are doing a good, but I might suggest adding about a 1/4' lift bilaterally tapered from the heel to the metatarsal heads to your current orthotics....that is, if you have orthotics.
Richard

Celia C. on 1/14/03 at 11:02 (105456)

Richard, do you mean like a wedge-type of insert under my orthodics? I guess I'll have to re-consider wearing orthodics again. I've tried about three different pairs from doctor and they did nothing but irritate my arches. I couldn't even stand on them at one point. Is there a picture that I may be able to look at in the internet for this 'lift'?

THANKS!

Richard, C.Ped on 1/14/03 at 12:02 (105469)

yes...but, I always forget that I do not make orthotics like others do. The bottom of my orthotics are flat from the heel to the toes. Others have only the heel and the metatarsal head area of the orthosis touching the bottom of the shoe.

Basically, the lift should be on the heel. If your orthosis is flat, then the lift should be tapered to the met heads. If you have a seperate heel piece, then it should be on the heel only.

I dont know of any pictures, but the lift is added to the orthotic. It is not a seperate insert.
Richard

Celia C. on 1/14/03 at 13:16 (105475)

I can tell by your time that you're not in California? I guess I can't come and see you for orthodics, but I am very grateful that you've taken some time to reply to my e-mail. I will talk to my chirporactor about this. I'll be seeing him again tomorrow. THANKS AGAIN!

Richard, C.Ped on 1/14/03 at 15:35 (105482)

Nope, not California. I am good ole southern boy here in South Carolina.
You are very welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions.
Good luck!
Richard

Gregg W on 1/17/03 at 13:59 (105699)

Celia, What a coincidence, I've had it 4 years and I'd do about anything to get rid of it too. Anyway, I've found that a product called 'The Stick' $25 can be very helpful to reduce tightness in calves. It's a stick with rollers on it and allows you to run it up and down your calves 25-30 times until they feel more loose. Also, MSM cream $10 seems to help reduce tightness. It sounds like you can still do moderate exercise, that's good. I've found that exercise feels great if I do it, but I end up paying for it in tightness the next couple days. Best of luck.

IanJ on 1/10/03 at 17:13 (105224)

Celia,

One of the ways I try to massage my calves is to use the knee of my other leg so that I place my left calf on top of my right knee and move it around. Seems to help. I'm also working on stretching my hamstrings which my PT thinks are too tight.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/11/03 at 14:51 (105273)

Celia:
Tight calf muscles can be a factor in plantar fasciitis. There is a lot more to treating PF. Read Scott's Heel Pain Book and study this site.
Four years is a long time to have plantar fasciitis. It can become harder to get rid of if left untreated for a long period.
Ed

Celia C on 1/13/03 at 13:37 (105368)

Thanks Ian and Ed for your replies. For four years I've been seeking treatment to no avail! I've tried every gadget you can think of. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia four years ago also which I've always ignored because I don't believe in it. However, now that I'm reading that others have Fibro, I'm wondering if I should of taken those anti-depressants a long time ago! I just didn't want to become addicted to prescription drugs. I'm doing fine, though, and have kept working out regardless of my pain because I hurt more when I don't exercise at all. My chiropractor does A.R.T. on my legs and feet. I feel like my legs want to split in half when he does it. I've been basically seeing him now because no other doctor has had an answer nor a deep interest with my problem. My chiropractor insists that I run so I've been doing about a mile three times a week.

I know that my back is a big contributor also. I have scoliosis also! Sheesh! I am thankful that I do have my legs to walk, though.

Beginning this weekend, my boyfriend, who has been a fabulous supporter through this, has been massaging my calves at night before I go to sleep. He does feel how extremely hard they get. In the morning, I tend to stretch before I get up. I try to stretch as much as I can. I agree that four years is too damn loooooong!!

I just don't know what to do anymore. I sure can't afford surgery.

I've bought a couple of gadgets from Scott's web site, but they haven't helped either. Oh, well......

Richard, C.Ped on 1/14/03 at 09:42 (105450)

I think it might be possible that the tight calves is causing a short heel cord. The excercises you are doing a good, but I might suggest adding about a 1/4' lift bilaterally tapered from the heel to the metatarsal heads to your current orthotics....that is, if you have orthotics.
Richard

Celia C. on 1/14/03 at 11:02 (105456)

Richard, do you mean like a wedge-type of insert under my orthodics? I guess I'll have to re-consider wearing orthodics again. I've tried about three different pairs from doctor and they did nothing but irritate my arches. I couldn't even stand on them at one point. Is there a picture that I may be able to look at in the internet for this 'lift'?

THANKS!

Richard, C.Ped on 1/14/03 at 12:02 (105469)

yes...but, I always forget that I do not make orthotics like others do. The bottom of my orthotics are flat from the heel to the toes. Others have only the heel and the metatarsal head area of the orthosis touching the bottom of the shoe.

Basically, the lift should be on the heel. If your orthosis is flat, then the lift should be tapered to the met heads. If you have a seperate heel piece, then it should be on the heel only.

I dont know of any pictures, but the lift is added to the orthotic. It is not a seperate insert.
Richard

Celia C. on 1/14/03 at 13:16 (105475)

I can tell by your time that you're not in California? I guess I can't come and see you for orthodics, but I am very grateful that you've taken some time to reply to my e-mail. I will talk to my chirporactor about this. I'll be seeing him again tomorrow. THANKS AGAIN!

Richard, C.Ped on 1/14/03 at 15:35 (105482)

Nope, not California. I am good ole southern boy here in South Carolina.
You are very welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions.
Good luck!
Richard

Gregg W on 1/17/03 at 13:59 (105699)

Celia, What a coincidence, I've had it 4 years and I'd do about anything to get rid of it too. Anyway, I've found that a product called 'The Stick' $25 can be very helpful to reduce tightness in calves. It's a stick with rollers on it and allows you to run it up and down your calves 25-30 times until they feel more loose. Also, MSM cream $10 seems to help reduce tightness. It sounds like you can still do moderate exercise, that's good. I've found that exercise feels great if I do it, but I end up paying for it in tightness the next couple days. Best of luck.