Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

funny stuff from kids

Posted by nancy s. on 1/10/03 at 22:14 (105239)

i really like necee's joke thread, and hope people will keep adding to it. where is everyone? (if you're up north, you're no doubt sleeping. hibernation is the way to go this winter.)

here's another sort of related thread, and if it doesn't take off, that's ok by me. i just feel like throwing these out here. never having had children, maybe i get a special kick out of things the other children in my life say.

(1) close friend's child, as i changed his diaper: 'nancy, why do people have elbows?'

(2) my very bright 5-year-old niece sophie, who keeps up with an amazing array of issues but apparently for whom time is passing too slowly: (after seeing a short clip of george bush on the news): 'george bush!!! is he STILL president???'

Re: funny stuff from kids

Carole C in NOLA on 1/11/03 at 07:58 (105243)

Those were cute, Nancy! I would add to the joke thread, but I guess some people tell jokes and some don't. Although (as all of you know) I like to 'joke around', I don't know any jokes per se! My brother was always the jokester in my family, and I never quite got the hang of it nor do I remember jokes, generally.

I liked Brian's joke about the talking frog, too, and copied it to my 24 year old computer geek daughter. She is so blase and told me she'd already heard it. Oh well! I tried. :)

Carole C

marie e on 1/11/03 at 09:13 (105250)

Ok I could have some fun here.....I think all the teachers that chat on this board could numorous stories to tell. Of course we need to keep in mind confidentaality of certain issues.

One of the funniest moments in my classroom this year happened between a sister and brother. Normally I would have shushed them up with a stern teacher glare but it was just too funny. I have mostly freshmen and sophomores in my entry level classes. The first pep session of the year was scheduled for the end of the day. I usually go over what happens at a pep session so the freshmen have a clue what to do. I asked the freshmen cheerleaders to explain what goes on. Each class is given a turn to cheer for their class. The loudest group wins a spirit stick and is allowed to leave the gym first. They all like that. The brother, a freshmen who is a bit full of himself, declared loudly that he had 'a spirit stick he'd like to give the cheerleaders'....his siter piped up and said 'more like a spirit twig'. Since a sister would know....the class was quiet for a few seconds and then burst into laughter. I didn't discipline him because I thought his sister took care of the problem.

Well mabie you'd have to have been there.

Later marie

wendyn on 1/11/03 at 09:33 (105251)

Marie - that is TOO funny!

Re: Jokes and Kids

wendyn on 1/11/03 at 09:35 (105252)

I'd love to share jokes too, but I hear them, I laugh, and I forget them.

I do have some good kids stories too - I'll have to come up with some to post when I have time!

Suzanne D on 1/11/03 at 10:00 (105255)

I should have TONS of things to add to this thread, but right now I am rather exhausted and can't think of the cute things I have heard through the years. But one story always comes to mind from 25 years ago.

I walked into a first grade classroom to substitute (one of my first days) scared to death, but determined to start out confidently. I began by saying, 'Hello! My name is Mrs. Dennis...' And before I could even finish, one little boy started crying.

Shaken by this but trying not to show it, I began saying, 'I know you miss your regular teacher, but we are going to have a good day, and I am sure she will be back tomorrow.'

He began crying harder, and other children were beginning to look unnerved. I tried harder to calm him, 'We are going to follow exactly what your teacher has left for us to do.' By now he was almost hysterical, and I was ready to bolt as well. What could I have done already that was making this day such a failure?

I said, 'Really, I am not going to be mean to you or anyone. We are going to have a good day if you'll give me a chance!'

He then held his hand over his mouth and yelled, 'I don't care! You ain't puttin' your hand in my mouth!!'

Huh??!?

Then it 'hit' me! I quickly said, 'My name is Mrs. Dennis, NOT DENTIST! I PROMISE that I won't ever put my hand near your mouth!'

He then settled down, and as far as I remember, we had a good day. I DID consider changing my name for teaching, but I didn't and have never had that episode repeated. And I've never put my hand near any child's mouth!

Suzanne :-)

nancy s. on 1/11/03 at 10:53 (105261)

that's hysterical, suzanne!

Re: That is hilarious, Suzanne! :) (nm)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/11/03 at 10:55 (105262)

pala on 1/11/03 at 22:59 (105294)

your neice could not have expressed my feelings better.

nancy s. on 1/12/03 at 00:55 (105297)

ha! i was hoping you'd say something of the sort, paula! i'm with you and sophie.

nancy

nancy s. on 1/12/03 at 01:10 (105298)

just got this email from my brother:

S: 'Daddy, what a man you are!'
D: 'Why, thanks.'
S: 'Daddy, what a genius you are!!'
D: 'Thank you!!'
S: 'Daddy?'
D: 'Yes. . .'
S: 'What's a genius?'>

JudyS on 1/16/03 at 11:50 (105601)

Marie - that one will make me laugh for a long time to come ! :)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/11/03 at 07:58 (105243)

Those were cute, Nancy! I would add to the joke thread, but I guess some people tell jokes and some don't. Although (as all of you know) I like to 'joke around', I don't know any jokes per se! My brother was always the jokester in my family, and I never quite got the hang of it nor do I remember jokes, generally.

I liked Brian's joke about the talking frog, too, and copied it to my 24 year old computer geek daughter. She is so blase and told me she'd already heard it. Oh well! I tried. :)

Carole C

marie e on 1/11/03 at 09:13 (105250)

Ok I could have some fun here.....I think all the teachers that chat on this board could numorous stories to tell. Of course we need to keep in mind confidentaality of certain issues.

One of the funniest moments in my classroom this year happened between a sister and brother. Normally I would have shushed them up with a stern teacher glare but it was just too funny. I have mostly freshmen and sophomores in my entry level classes. The first pep session of the year was scheduled for the end of the day. I usually go over what happens at a pep session so the freshmen have a clue what to do. I asked the freshmen cheerleaders to explain what goes on. Each class is given a turn to cheer for their class. The loudest group wins a spirit stick and is allowed to leave the gym first. They all like that. The brother, a freshmen who is a bit full of himself, declared loudly that he had 'a spirit stick he'd like to give the cheerleaders'....his siter piped up and said 'more like a spirit twig'. Since a sister would know....the class was quiet for a few seconds and then burst into laughter. I didn't discipline him because I thought his sister took care of the problem.

Well mabie you'd have to have been there.

Later marie

wendyn on 1/11/03 at 09:33 (105251)

Marie - that is TOO funny!

Re: Jokes and Kids

wendyn on 1/11/03 at 09:35 (105252)

I'd love to share jokes too, but I hear them, I laugh, and I forget them.

I do have some good kids stories too - I'll have to come up with some to post when I have time!

Suzanne D on 1/11/03 at 10:00 (105255)

I should have TONS of things to add to this thread, but right now I am rather exhausted and can't think of the cute things I have heard through the years. But one story always comes to mind from 25 years ago.

I walked into a first grade classroom to substitute (one of my first days) scared to death, but determined to start out confidently. I began by saying, 'Hello! My name is Mrs. Dennis...' And before I could even finish, one little boy started crying.

Shaken by this but trying not to show it, I began saying, 'I know you miss your regular teacher, but we are going to have a good day, and I am sure she will be back tomorrow.'

He began crying harder, and other children were beginning to look unnerved. I tried harder to calm him, 'We are going to follow exactly what your teacher has left for us to do.' By now he was almost hysterical, and I was ready to bolt as well. What could I have done already that was making this day such a failure?

I said, 'Really, I am not going to be mean to you or anyone. We are going to have a good day if you'll give me a chance!'

He then held his hand over his mouth and yelled, 'I don't care! You ain't puttin' your hand in my mouth!!'

Huh??!?

Then it 'hit' me! I quickly said, 'My name is Mrs. Dennis, NOT DENTIST! I PROMISE that I won't ever put my hand near your mouth!'

He then settled down, and as far as I remember, we had a good day. I DID consider changing my name for teaching, but I didn't and have never had that episode repeated. And I've never put my hand near any child's mouth!

Suzanne :-)

nancy s. on 1/11/03 at 10:53 (105261)

that's hysterical, suzanne!

Re: That is hilarious, Suzanne! :) (nm)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/11/03 at 10:55 (105262)

pala on 1/11/03 at 22:59 (105294)

your neice could not have expressed my feelings better.

nancy s. on 1/12/03 at 00:55 (105297)

ha! i was hoping you'd say something of the sort, paula! i'm with you and sophie.

nancy

nancy s. on 1/12/03 at 01:10 (105298)

just got this email from my brother:

S: 'Daddy, what a man you are!'
D: 'Why, thanks.'
S: 'Daddy, what a genius you are!!'
D: 'Thank you!!'
S: 'Daddy?'
D: 'Yes. . .'
S: 'What's a genius?'>

JudyS on 1/16/03 at 11:50 (105601)

Marie - that one will make me laugh for a long time to come ! :)