Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthotist vs. C Ped/Michigan

Posted by Lynn B. on 1/12/03 at 11:30 (105311)

I've seen a lot of references to C Peds on this site, and am wondering what the difference is between an orthotist and a C Ped. I had orthotics made be an orthotist with a C.O. certification after having neuroma surgery and subsequently suffering from pf. I've since developed tts, which I understand from this site can happen to people wearing hard orthotics, which mine are. I've recently tried going without them, always wearing good shoes (Joseph Siebel, Mephisto,etc.) but still have a lot of pain, including in my achilles tendon. I suspect I need softer orthotics, but my orthotist said they wouldn't work for me due to the degree of correction needed.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone can 1. tell me the difference between an orthotist and a C Ped (if there is one) and 2. recommend anyone in the Ann Arbor/Detroit, MI area.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Re: Orthotist vs. C Ped/Michigan

nancy s. on 1/12/03 at 15:50 (105316)

lynn, a c.ped makes orthosis for the foot (ankle and below, i believe); c.ped stands for 'certified pedorthist.'

an orthotist makes orthosis/devices to correct joint or other mechanical problems for all limbs of the body, including the foot.

richard or BG, how'd i do? ;}

nancy

Richard, C.Ped on 1/13/03 at 08:25 (105345)

Very good Nancy. They make artificial limbs as well.
Richard

D.Thomas on 1/13/03 at 13:00 (105364)

Lynn,

Your lucky. Brian Graham, who posts here sometimes, is a C.Ped. and works in Auburn Hills, MI. I highly recommend him. His number 248-371-3769.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/13/03 at 14:17 (105375)

Lynn:
It is possible to develop TTS wearing different type of orthotics but it is unlikely that the orthotics was the cause of TTS. An orthotic which places too much pressure in the arch can place pressure on the porta pedis which is an area in which a form of TTS can develop known as distal tarsal tunnel syndrome.

TTS can mimick other foot problems such as plantar fasciitis/heel pain and neuromas. Occasionally, early TTS, developing slowly and insidiously can lead to misdiagnoses in the early stages.
Ed

Lynn on 1/14/03 at 11:31 (105465)

Thank you all for your responses. However, now I'm feeling concerned about my next step. I've been told by a neurologist and a orthopedic doctor that I likely have TTS. Is my next logical step a podiatrist or a pedorthist?
Thanks again.

D.Thomas on 1/14/03 at 12:22 (105471)

Lynn,

You might want to make an appointment with Dr. Arthur Manoli for another opinion. His practice is at the St. Joseph Mercy Oakland Hospital in Pontiac. He and Brian work together. His number is 248-858-6773. Ask for Sue. She will take care of you.

Lynn on 1/15/03 at 09:36 (105512)

Thank you.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/15/03 at 18:02 (105539)

Lynn:

Has TTS been confirmed via NCV testing? You can find board certified podiatrists in your area at http://www.acfas.org
Ed

Lynn on 1/16/03 at 10:45 (105592)

Ed

TTS has not been confirmed via testing. With my insurance, testing would be an expensive process. An orthopedic doctor recommended an EMG, which I haven't yet done because it seems as though the treatment wouldn't necessarily be any different if a test confirmed that I had TTS. Is this incorrect? Is NCV different than an EMG?

Thanks and I will look at the link you sent.

Lynn

Marty on 1/17/03 at 22:18 (105762)

Lynn B. where did you have neuroma at and what did they do surgery wise?

Marty on 1/17/03 at 22:22 (105763)

Lynn B, please send response to last question in here. I have included my email so I make sure I read it. Nuerouligist thinks I might have neuroma too. Don't know where at yet?

Thanks,

Marty

Lynn on 1/20/03 at 13:39 (106042)

Marty

I had neuroma surgery about four or five years ago on both feet. I don't exactly remember where. I do remember that on one foot he made the incision on top of my foot and on the other underneath, because of the size of the neuroma. The healing process was slow, especially for the foot where the incision was made on the bottom. Sorry I can't remember more specifics. I only know that I've had a lot of foot problems since then!

Lynn

nancy s. on 1/12/03 at 15:50 (105316)

lynn, a c.ped makes orthosis for the foot (ankle and below, i believe); c.ped stands for 'certified pedorthist.'

an orthotist makes orthosis/devices to correct joint or other mechanical problems for all limbs of the body, including the foot.

richard or BG, how'd i do? ;}

nancy

Richard, C.Ped on 1/13/03 at 08:25 (105345)

Very good Nancy. They make artificial limbs as well.
Richard

D.Thomas on 1/13/03 at 13:00 (105364)

Lynn,

Your lucky. Brian Graham, who posts here sometimes, is a C.Ped. and works in Auburn Hills, MI. I highly recommend him. His number 248-371-3769.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/13/03 at 14:17 (105375)

Lynn:
It is possible to develop TTS wearing different type of orthotics but it is unlikely that the orthotics was the cause of TTS. An orthotic which places too much pressure in the arch can place pressure on the porta pedis which is an area in which a form of TTS can develop known as distal tarsal tunnel syndrome.

TTS can mimick other foot problems such as plantar fasciitis/heel pain and neuromas. Occasionally, early TTS, developing slowly and insidiously can lead to misdiagnoses in the early stages.
Ed

Lynn on 1/14/03 at 11:31 (105465)

Thank you all for your responses. However, now I'm feeling concerned about my next step. I've been told by a neurologist and a orthopedic doctor that I likely have TTS. Is my next logical step a podiatrist or a pedorthist?
Thanks again.

D.Thomas on 1/14/03 at 12:22 (105471)

Lynn,

You might want to make an appointment with Dr. Arthur Manoli for another opinion. His practice is at the St. Joseph Mercy Oakland Hospital in Pontiac. He and Brian work together. His number is 248-858-6773. Ask for Sue. She will take care of you.

Lynn on 1/15/03 at 09:36 (105512)

Thank you.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/15/03 at 18:02 (105539)

Lynn:

Has TTS been confirmed via NCV testing? You can find board certified podiatrists in your area at http://www.acfas.org
Ed

Lynn on 1/16/03 at 10:45 (105592)

Ed

TTS has not been confirmed via testing. With my insurance, testing would be an expensive process. An orthopedic doctor recommended an EMG, which I haven't yet done because it seems as though the treatment wouldn't necessarily be any different if a test confirmed that I had TTS. Is this incorrect? Is NCV different than an EMG?

Thanks and I will look at the link you sent.

Lynn

Marty on 1/17/03 at 22:18 (105762)

Lynn B. where did you have neuroma at and what did they do surgery wise?

Marty on 1/17/03 at 22:22 (105763)

Lynn B, please send response to last question in here. I have included my email so I make sure I read it. Nuerouligist thinks I might have neuroma too. Don't know where at yet?

Thanks,

Marty

Lynn on 1/20/03 at 13:39 (106042)

Marty

I had neuroma surgery about four or five years ago on both feet. I don't exactly remember where. I do remember that on one foot he made the incision on top of my foot and on the other underneath, because of the size of the neuroma. The healing process was slow, especially for the foot where the incision was made on the bottom. Sorry I can't remember more specifics. I only know that I've had a lot of foot problems since then!

Lynn