Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

post ESWT cast

Posted by Mary D. on 1/12/03 at 19:03 (105322)

I had ESWT in early September and had increased pain for the first 6 weeks, after which I noticed some improvement every week. Although my foot is certainly better than before the procedure, I still have pain, especially tingling and pins and needles and especially when I stand. I now have a removable cast which the doctor said to wear for 4 weeks but am wondering if there is a chance it may do more harm than good. It seems to put a lot of pressure on my other foot and lower back. Any ideas?

Re: post ESWT cast

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/14/03 at 08:39 (105438)

There is a posssibility of referred pain when wearing a cast boot. Watch and becareful with the cast boot. ESWT in some patients takes a very long time to resolve the pain. The pins and needles could be healing or TTS. Have they examined you for TTS?

Mary D. on 1/14/03 at 11:32 (105467)

Thank you for the response, Dr. Zuckerman. I have not been tested for TTS and my podiatrist has never brought it up as a possibility. I did not have the pins and needles or numbness until after the Ossatron treatment. Could the ESWT cause TTS? I read the FDA's report on the Ossatron and it mentioned that a number of patients had neurological symptoms afterward, which gradually resolved. So I had assumed that was happening with my foot. What should I watch for and be careful about vis-a-vis the cast boot? My real fear is that it will do some harm and that it might be better just to be patient and see if the ESWT does the trick (my pod assures me that I am taking longer to heal than any of his other ESWT patients--not a huge number (7)). There is still some pain in the heel and arch when wearing the cast. Do you have any long distance advice on whether I should wear the cast or not? I'm afraid there may be negative consequences of my impatience.

Dr. Z on 1/14/03 at 18:34 (105496)

My advice is if the cast makes your foot feel better then wear it. If you are struggling with the cast and it is uncomfortable and causing pain and or discomfort anywhere else get rid of the cast. The ESWT treatments don't cause TTS. You can have underlying or TTS that was so early in its disease progression that it wasn't picked up. So the tinging is usually healing post eswt. I use to see this same type of neurological pain when I did heel spur surgery. This was the fascia healing not the nerves being damages but it sure did feel like nerves

Mar on 1/16/03 at 17:53 (105632)

Mary -

I wore a cam walker for 5 days and the pain was off the charts in both feet. That was the week before Christmas and I am still trying to work my way back to where I was before. If the pain is increasing, take Dr Z's advice and get rid of the cast. Mar

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/14/03 at 08:39 (105438)

There is a posssibility of referred pain when wearing a cast boot. Watch and becareful with the cast boot. ESWT in some patients takes a very long time to resolve the pain. The pins and needles could be healing or TTS. Have they examined you for TTS?

Mary D. on 1/14/03 at 11:32 (105467)

Thank you for the response, Dr. Zuckerman. I have not been tested for TTS and my podiatrist has never brought it up as a possibility. I did not have the pins and needles or numbness until after the Ossatron treatment. Could the ESWT cause TTS? I read the FDA's report on the Ossatron and it mentioned that a number of patients had neurological symptoms afterward, which gradually resolved. So I had assumed that was happening with my foot. What should I watch for and be careful about vis-a-vis the cast boot? My real fear is that it will do some harm and that it might be better just to be patient and see if the ESWT does the trick (my pod assures me that I am taking longer to heal than any of his other ESWT patients--not a huge number (7)). There is still some pain in the heel and arch when wearing the cast. Do you have any long distance advice on whether I should wear the cast or not? I'm afraid there may be negative consequences of my impatience.

Dr. Z on 1/14/03 at 18:34 (105496)

My advice is if the cast makes your foot feel better then wear it. If you are struggling with the cast and it is uncomfortable and causing pain and or discomfort anywhere else get rid of the cast. The ESWT treatments don't cause TTS. You can have underlying or TTS that was so early in its disease progression that it wasn't picked up. So the tinging is usually healing post eswt. I use to see this same type of neurological pain when I did heel spur surgery. This was the fascia healing not the nerves being damages but it sure did feel like nerves

Mar on 1/16/03 at 17:53 (105632)

Mary -

I wore a cam walker for 5 days and the pain was off the charts in both feet. That was the week before Christmas and I am still trying to work my way back to where I was before. If the pain is increasing, take Dr Z's advice and get rid of the cast. Mar