Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cortisone shots how safe are they?

Posted by angela Siegvir on 1/13/03 at 12:38 (105362)

I posted before but I think it got lost is cyberspace. So I'll ask again I have TTS (the doc thinks). I've had one set of shots, he wants to do another, 3 at the most.
He says it's not harmful as he uses very low doses of Cortisone.
Any opinions on this?
Thank you for this messege board!

Re: Cortisone shots how safe are they?

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/13/03 at 14:20 (105377)

Angela:

Considering the alternatives, cortisone injections are one of the safer things that can be done for tarsal tunnel syndrome. How did you respond to the first set of shots?
Ed

A Manoli MD on 1/13/03 at 19:50 (105418)

who started this series of 3 cortizone shot thing that is very commonly done?

we all know that cortizone has a negative effect on collagen, essentially dissolving it. i repair at least five achilles tendons/yr where the insertion was injected with cortizone and it pulls off the bone. the last one was a general surgeon, of some note, who INJECTED HIS OWN !!!

why 3? who's the authority here?

my patients often say, 'that dr. said he/she doesn't like doing it, yet he/she did it anyway.' huh?

sorry, bit ornery, here, with cabin fever.

am2

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/14/03 at 08:37 (105437)

Why would any physician inject the achilles tendon is beyond me. The number three probaby was pulled out of the air. Maybe three strikes and you are out is the logic

Angela S on 1/14/03 at 18:41 (105497)

Ed,
Good question. It was very painful the first night. Didn't really notice any relief for a few days then it seemed to get a bit better. A couple weeks later the pain was worse but not as bad as before.
What I can't figure out is, a couple times about a month before I got the shots the pain just went away. Once for a whole week, and then another time for a couple days. It definatly changes in intesity and not just as the day goes on.
I am also taking Neurotin 900mg,(was on that before the foot pain started) and Vioxx 25mg a day. I wonder how my feet would feel without the meds, but I don't want to find out!
Angela

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/13/03 at 14:20 (105377)

Angela:

Considering the alternatives, cortisone injections are one of the safer things that can be done for tarsal tunnel syndrome. How did you respond to the first set of shots?
Ed

A Manoli MD on 1/13/03 at 19:50 (105418)

who started this series of 3 cortizone shot thing that is very commonly done?

we all know that cortizone has a negative effect on collagen, essentially dissolving it. i repair at least five achilles tendons/yr where the insertion was injected with cortizone and it pulls off the bone. the last one was a general surgeon, of some note, who INJECTED HIS OWN !!!

why 3? who's the authority here?

my patients often say, 'that dr. said he/she doesn't like doing it, yet he/she did it anyway.' huh?

sorry, bit ornery, here, with cabin fever.

am2

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/14/03 at 08:37 (105437)

Why would any physician inject the achilles tendon is beyond me. The number three probaby was pulled out of the air. Maybe three strikes and you are out is the logic

Angela S on 1/14/03 at 18:41 (105497)

Ed,
Good question. It was very painful the first night. Didn't really notice any relief for a few days then it seemed to get a bit better. A couple weeks later the pain was worse but not as bad as before.
What I can't figure out is, a couple times about a month before I got the shots the pain just went away. Once for a whole week, and then another time for a couple days. It definatly changes in intesity and not just as the day goes on.
I am also taking Neurotin 900mg,(was on that before the foot pain started) and Vioxx 25mg a day. I wonder how my feet would feel without the meds, but I don't want to find out!
Angela