Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just some rambling

Posted by Kathy G on 1/13/03 at 13:47 (105369)

I've been such a good girl and staying away from the computer. My arm is some better but the chiro opens at 3pm and I'm going to make an appointment. The computer use definitely does make it worse but driving hurts, too, and I can't walk that much and this whole thing is beginning to annoy me!

Nancy - it sounds like the weather is getting to you! I love snow but I agree that it could stop for a while. It's supposed to be very cold this week but there's no storms in sight, thank goodness. My husband measured and in our front yard, we currently have 19'. Since that yard faces south, that means quite a bit of it has melted so I can't even imagine how much there is in the north-facing areas. Our backyard is shielded by tall pines so we don't get as much snowfall there. We're worried about ice dams on our back roof although we have heating wires up and going. A few years, it backed up and leaked into my kitchen. My husband was talking about getting the roof shoveled. He has a roof rake but can use that from the ground and the deck. I made it perfectly clear to him, John, that I didn't want him up on the roof, unlike some other people I know! If we have to, we're hire someone to shovel it.

Regarding cable companies, in Milford, our selectmen are feuding with our cable company which has changed hands for the third time in the last two years. We are only one of three area towns not to have signed a contract with them and because negotiations are private, we don't know exactly what the sticking point is. But you're right, it's a monopoly and doesn't breed good business. More and more people are getting the satellite dishes now that they are smaller but we don't watch enough television to warrant that. They're still more expensive than cable.

I never got into the discussion but in answer to your question, I wouldn't even try to go without TV. It's funny. I never turn it on during the day but the shows I watch at night are shows I really like. If a show is on before nine, I have a hard time remembering it because we never turn on TV until at least then. I would really miss 'West Wing', '24', 'Without a Trace', 'Judging Amy', 'NYPD Blue', 'American Dreams and of course, the 11 o'clock news. I can't think of any others offhand that I would really miss but those I really enjoy. And of course, there's my football. I'm starting to experience withdrawal symptoms, just knowing that there's only one week left. Well, the Superbowl is after that, but unless the Patriots are playing, Superbowls are usually just boring. I wish I liked golf or ice skating!

My husband works some nights so I tape many shows and we watch them on the VCR. That's the way to go, you can fast-forward through all the commercials. I recently agreed to take a telephone survey on soft-drink advertising and the fellow, who sounded like he was about eighteen, finally said to me, very respecfully, 'Maam, do you watch any TV at all?' Afterward I realized that I'd probably fast-forwarded through half of the ads he was asking me if I recognized. They didn't get much of a response from me!

Hope your shoulder continues to improve, Carole. Don't fall asleep with the heating pad on you! That happened to my mother once and it broke all the capillaries on her back. I always think of it when I use a heating pad. The idea that I'd fall asleep is ludicrous, of course, in that I have trouble enough going to sleep when I'm supposed to, let alone any other time.

Suzanne, one thing I thought of, try to distance yourself from the complainers. I found, when I worked, that there were some people who complained all the time and they kind of 'churned' everyone up and it caused a feeling of general unrest all the time. When these people quit, the inequalities still existed but there wasn't somebody talking about them all the time and it made for a better atmosphere. The bottom line is, as you know, that we are all at the mercy of administrators who are sometimes idiots, but there's not a whole lot we can do about it. I find that people talking about it all the time just leads to a very negative atmosphere. Just a thought.

Okay, now I'm signing off and will call the Chiropractor who will perform some magic on me and I'll be back to normal, or my version of it, in no time. (That's the Pollyanna side of me talking!!)

Re: Just some rambling

Suzanne D on 1/13/03 at 15:22 (105382)

I hope the chiropractor helps you, Kathy! And thanks for your advice. I replied to you in the thread below.

I always think a lot of snow sounds like fun, but then we don't often have much snow, so I'm sure it would get old. I can just imagine how pretty the snow is in those tall pines, though.

Take care,
Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/13/03 at 16:19 (105388)

Kathy, I'm glad you're feeling better and I'm especially glad that you're going to see the chiropractor about your arm. Who knows, this time maybe he will work some magic the first visit. It could happen.

Thanks for the warning. I worry about falling asleep on the heating pad too, so much that I've only used it while sitting up in my office chair so far, in front of the computer. I unplug it as soon as I'm done.

Carole C

Kathy G on 1/14/03 at 09:23 (105442)

Hey Carole, maybe your words worked some magic. Or maybe the Chiropractor did but I called yesterday and he had a 4:40 opening due to a cancellation and I can't believe how much better I feel today! Knock on wood and all that! I'm going to be real good and get offline in just a couple of minutes but I am cautiously optimistic. I have another appointment on Friday. He said he'd have the average person come back on Wednesday but since it's me, I should wait until Friday. Nice when even your chiropractor shows no respect for your body!!

I'm so glad you're feeling better, too. You're right, PF has taught us all patience and conservative self-treatment. Maybe that's one of the good things that comes out of it.

Re: FANTASTIC! :)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/14/03 at 16:29 (105488)

Kathy, that's great!!!! I sure hope that your chiropractor has nearly fixed it. Wouldn't that be great? :)

I found out something else about my shoulder today. I was very stressed out for work reasons and I noticed that the muscles in my neck and upper back got really really tight. I also noticed that it made my shoulder hurt more, too.

I don't think my shoulder pain is all stress-related, because I wasn't stressed when it started hurting. But I discovered that I do need to keep from getting too stressed out because that aggravates it.

I'll start mellowing out on Friday. LOL

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/14/03 at 18:05 (105493)

So good to hear, Kathy!

Keep it up!

Suzanne D on 1/13/03 at 15:22 (105382)

I hope the chiropractor helps you, Kathy! And thanks for your advice. I replied to you in the thread below.

I always think a lot of snow sounds like fun, but then we don't often have much snow, so I'm sure it would get old. I can just imagine how pretty the snow is in those tall pines, though.

Take care,

Carole C in NOLA on 1/13/03 at 16:19 (105388)

Kathy, I'm glad you're feeling better and I'm especially glad that you're going to see the chiropractor about your arm. Who knows, this time maybe he will work some magic the first visit. It could happen.

Thanks for the warning. I worry about falling asleep on the heating pad too, so much that I've only used it while sitting up in my office chair so far, in front of the computer. I unplug it as soon as I'm done.

Carole C

Kathy G on 1/14/03 at 09:23 (105442)

Hey Carole, maybe your words worked some magic. Or maybe the Chiropractor did but I called yesterday and he had a 4:40 opening due to a cancellation and I can't believe how much better I feel today! Knock on wood and all that! I'm going to be real good and get offline in just a couple of minutes but I am cautiously optimistic. I have another appointment on Friday. He said he'd have the average person come back on Wednesday but since it's me, I should wait until Friday. Nice when even your chiropractor shows no respect for your body!!

I'm so glad you're feeling better, too. You're right, PF has taught us all patience and conservative self-treatment. Maybe that's one of the good things that comes out of it.

Re: FANTASTIC! :)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/14/03 at 16:29 (105488)

Kathy, that's great!!!! I sure hope that your chiropractor has nearly fixed it. Wouldn't that be great? :)

I found out something else about my shoulder today. I was very stressed out for work reasons and I noticed that the muscles in my neck and upper back got really really tight. I also noticed that it made my shoulder hurt more, too.

I don't think my shoulder pain is all stress-related, because I wasn't stressed when it started hurting. But I discovered that I do need to keep from getting too stressed out because that aggravates it.

I'll start mellowing out on Friday. LOL

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/14/03 at 18:05 (105493)

So good to hear, Kathy!

Keep it up!