Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

re recurrent ulcer on foot

Posted by dave y on 1/13/03 at 14:17 (105376)

I had an arthrodised ankle after an accident about 40 years ago. The skin on my foot is very thin. I have an ulcer which breaks open frequently and at the best of times is never quite under control or gone.

At present it is very painful. I wonder if there is anything I can do to relieve the pain and help it to heal.

I would be grateful for any help. Many thanks. Regards Dave

Re: re recurrent ulcer on foot

A Manoli MD on 1/13/03 at 19:37 (105415)

often the ankle is fused with a bit of equinus (foot tipped down). this is not uncommon after doing a fusion for trauma.

this puts excessive pressure on the front of the foot. perhaps the ulcer is being caused by this.

the ankle fusion can be 'redone' with an osteotomy, tipping the foot upward a bit.

where are you located? this should be done by someone quite experienced in doing this. there are not too many who are.

am2

Richard, C.Ped on 1/14/03 at 09:39 (105449)

If the ulceration is on the plantar aspect of the foot, it is possible to have an orthosis made to off load that area. I would make a tri-lam orthosis and grind out a 'well' which will allow the ulceration to sit in a pocket and have the weight distributed around it. I may or may not add visco elastic polymer.
Richard

A Manoli MD on 1/13/03 at 19:37 (105415)

often the ankle is fused with a bit of equinus (foot tipped down). this is not uncommon after doing a fusion for trauma.

this puts excessive pressure on the front of the foot. perhaps the ulcer is being caused by this.

the ankle fusion can be 'redone' with an osteotomy, tipping the foot upward a bit.

where are you located? this should be done by someone quite experienced in doing this. there are not too many who are.

am2

Richard, C.Ped on 1/14/03 at 09:39 (105449)

If the ulceration is on the plantar aspect of the foot, it is possible to have an orthosis made to off load that area. I would make a tri-lam orthosis and grind out a 'well' which will allow the ulceration to sit in a pocket and have the weight distributed around it. I may or may not add visco elastic polymer.
Richard