Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Golf Ball

Posted by Pete R on 1/13/03 at 17:07 (105395)

A sports masseur who is treating me for my back problem says that rolling a golf ball along the fascia (when foot inverted) can help to stretch the tissue. Normally I'd treat her comments with distain but she does treat many top class athletes so maybe she could be right.

Any thoughts on this anybody ?

Re: Golf Ball

john h on 1/13/03 at 17:13 (105396)

Pete: Just make sure it is a Titleist with a 100 compression ratio.

Marty on 1/13/03 at 17:34 (105401)

Do a search on 'golf ball' if I remember right back about 2 years ago there was allot of discussion on this topic.

Marty

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/13/03 at 18:48 (105408)

It is my opinion that the golf ball can and does cause injury to the plantar fascia. IF you do insist on using it make sure you are away from the area that is painful and sit down when doing it. Check the previous discussions I believe you will find that it did in fact cause more pain in alot of patients

Richard, C.Ped on 1/14/03 at 09:30 (105444)

It seems to me that a golf ball would cause to much pressure in that one area where you do not want excess pressure. I just did the golf ball thing and I thought it was odd feeling. To me, it makes sense to use something that evens out pressure such as a rolling pin. This way, the pressure is not on one specific spot. Just thinking out loud.
Richard

Kathy G on 1/14/03 at 09:33 (105447)

My PT recommended a golf ball but I just couldn't bring myself to do it - it just looked too painful. I did use a soda can which seemed to help. It kept developing holes and spurting out soda, though. Plus, when I mentioned it on these boards, everyone said not to do it. What about a tennis ball - kind of a compromise maybe?

john h on 1/14/03 at 11:17 (105459)

I tried the golf ball a long time ago and had no benefit. I think standard no load stretching to be a better alternative. I like the towell around the toes stretch while laying on your back as you can control exactly how much of a stretch you are placing on the fascia.

R C on 1/14/03 at 13:24 (105477)

I have used a wooden dowel (maybe inch and a half diameter) to massage the bottom of my foot by rolling my foot over it while sitting (and watching TV). This is less harsh than a golf ball, and it is less tiring. In either case, limit it to 5 minutes or so, as it can be irritating after a while.

Those new Callaways work pretty well, too. I haven't tried the Nike ball.

Nancy N on 1/15/03 at 21:03 (105562)

Why not try a regular foot roller? Similar in concept to the dowel, but specifically designed for feet. I've seen them at places like Bed Bath and Beyond or Linens'n Things in the bath section--and my favorite one came from Pier 1 Imports! They cost maybe $5 or so and are really nice on your feet.

john h on 1/13/03 at 17:13 (105396)

Pete: Just make sure it is a Titleist with a 100 compression ratio.

Marty on 1/13/03 at 17:34 (105401)

Do a search on 'golf ball' if I remember right back about 2 years ago there was allot of discussion on this topic.

Marty

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/13/03 at 18:48 (105408)

It is my opinion that the golf ball can and does cause injury to the plantar fascia. IF you do insist on using it make sure you are away from the area that is painful and sit down when doing it. Check the previous discussions I believe you will find that it did in fact cause more pain in alot of patients

Richard, C.Ped on 1/14/03 at 09:30 (105444)

It seems to me that a golf ball would cause to much pressure in that one area where you do not want excess pressure. I just did the golf ball thing and I thought it was odd feeling. To me, it makes sense to use something that evens out pressure such as a rolling pin. This way, the pressure is not on one specific spot. Just thinking out loud.
Richard

Kathy G on 1/14/03 at 09:33 (105447)

My PT recommended a golf ball but I just couldn't bring myself to do it - it just looked too painful. I did use a soda can which seemed to help. It kept developing holes and spurting out soda, though. Plus, when I mentioned it on these boards, everyone said not to do it. What about a tennis ball - kind of a compromise maybe?

john h on 1/14/03 at 11:17 (105459)

I tried the golf ball a long time ago and had no benefit. I think standard no load stretching to be a better alternative. I like the towell around the toes stretch while laying on your back as you can control exactly how much of a stretch you are placing on the fascia.

R C on 1/14/03 at 13:24 (105477)

I have used a wooden dowel (maybe inch and a half diameter) to massage the bottom of my foot by rolling my foot over it while sitting (and watching TV). This is less harsh than a golf ball, and it is less tiring. In either case, limit it to 5 minutes or so, as it can be irritating after a while.

Those new Callaways work pretty well, too. I haven't tried the Nike ball.

Nancy N on 1/15/03 at 21:03 (105562)

Why not try a regular foot roller? Similar in concept to the dowel, but specifically designed for feet. I've seen them at places like Bed Bath and Beyond or Linens'n Things in the bath section--and my favorite one came from Pier 1 Imports! They cost maybe $5 or so and are really nice on your feet.