Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is there such a thing as too many cortisone shots for heel spurs?

Posted by Joanne S on 1/13/03 at 19:37 (105416)

I have a heel spur, the foot doctor tried a cortisone shot which relieved the pain for a while. Then I had prescription orthotics made up, and another cortisone shot shortly after (2 cortisone shots in a 3 month span). The pain is now coming back again, how often could I get cortisone shots without causing some kind of problem? Thank you?

Re: Is there such a thing as too many cortisone shots for heel spurs?

Dr. Z on 1/14/03 at 04:11 (105429)

Good questions. I feel that too many can injury the plantar fascia itself.
Each and every case is different. The type of steriod makes a difference.
I believe that you have had the limit for awhile. Your podiatrist needs to find out why it is coming back. Lack of ankle motion. Still have an improper gait. Your coccupation. How are the orthosis working . How did they feel. Any lower back, hip,knee, ankle pain.

There are other types of treatments that can be added that are alot better and safer such as home stretching, physical therapy, et

Joanne S on 1/14/03 at 14:52 (105478)

Thanks for your response. I work as a bookeeper, so I'm not on my feet too much. No lower back, no hip, knee, or ankle pain. The orthosis are working okay with one heel, but still pain in the other. I've had them for 3 months, I know it varies from patient to patient, but what's the average amount of time before relief is expected? I will ask about exercise and physical therapy next time I go, before going for the option of another shot.

Dr. Z on 1/14/03 at 20:36 (105504)

Orthosis should start to relief pain in about six to eight weeks.

Dr. Z on 1/14/03 at 04:11 (105429)

Good questions. I feel that too many can injury the plantar fascia itself.
Each and every case is different. The type of steriod makes a difference.
I believe that you have had the limit for awhile. Your podiatrist needs to find out why it is coming back. Lack of ankle motion. Still have an improper gait. Your coccupation. How are the orthosis working . How did they feel. Any lower back, hip,knee, ankle pain.

There are other types of treatments that can be added that are alot better and safer such as home stretching, physical therapy, et

Joanne S on 1/14/03 at 14:52 (105478)

Thanks for your response. I work as a bookeeper, so I'm not on my feet too much. No lower back, no hip, knee, or ankle pain. The orthosis are working okay with one heel, but still pain in the other. I've had them for 3 months, I know it varies from patient to patient, but what's the average amount of time before relief is expected? I will ask about exercise and physical therapy next time I go, before going for the option of another shot.

Dr. Z on 1/14/03 at 20:36 (105504)

Orthosis should start to relief pain in about six to eight weeks.