Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Magnetic Bracelets

Posted by Necee on 1/15/03 at 00:38 (105508)

Ok now, since most of ya'll are intelligent and openminded folks, I want to present this question.......Have any of you ever used one of those magnetic bracelets? If so, what are your thoughts? and if not, I'd like your thoughts too.
I had a coworker wear one to work today, and she claims that it helps her wrist pain. She said when she wears it to bed, she wakes up pain free.
If those things work, I'm buying one to wear around my ankle!! And maybe around my neck, waist, legs, head............

Happy trails...

Necee

Re: Magnetic Bracelets

pala on 1/15/03 at 10:17 (105514)

if you try it let us know if it helps. there are more mysteries in the universe than we can ever anaytically understand.

carynz on 1/15/03 at 12:14 (105518)

hi necee,

I have worn a copper bracelet now on my left wrist for over 4 years. I am on the 2nd one and I wear it all the time. Most mornings I do wake up with little pain in my wrist but there are times when it does not seem to connect. They say that the copper goes through the skin to the bloodstream to help with the flow of oxygen which in turns gives you better circulation so on and so on. They don't work if they don't have to so the bracelet can be copper (not coated with anything) and then it will turn slightly greeny/black when it is working properly and if you have copper magnet ends on the bracelet they should be the only parts that need to touch the skin. Don't just buy one in a plastic wrapper on the shelf in the store, check it out at smaller boutique and reputable health related stores, you should not have to pay a ton of money for it either so you may have to try a few to see if it does the job. Some people even put the copper magnets inside their shoes I think that would be very uncomfortable but heh if it works. I say anything is worth a shot though. I suffer with osteoarthritis in my left arm/hand and the other day saw an ad for Tylenol for arthritis pain so I went to the pharmacy last night and they are 650mg tylenol tablets good for 8 hours and cost $14.89 for 24 tablets. When I started reading the labels for regular tylenol which is 500mg and good for 4 hours I decided it wasn't worth the money because there were no other ingredients in it for arthritis related pain relief it was still just tylenol just more of it. You have to really read stuff or else you end up spending tons of money and then hope something happens.

Hope your pain management is alright. I am suffering with achy j oints right now because it is so damp and cooler on the coast right now. We have had rain off and on so I am paying the price.

Cheers Caryn

john h on 1/16/03 at 11:24 (105598)

Paula: I have some powerful magnets in a pad that I have palced in my night splint. Scott discussed this at some length some time ago and as he indicated they should all be oriented in the same North/South direction and of sufficient strength. Mine came out of a wrap that was used for back pain and were all properly oriented. Bottom line is they did not help. All of the scientific studies I have read on this subject indicate no help. If you think they will help maybe the old placebo effect will kick in and they will help.

JudyS on 1/16/03 at 12:07 (105606)

In fact, Necee - you can actually get a magnetic mattress pad! I did buy the shoe inserts early in my PF experience - they didn't do a thing for me.

pala on 1/15/03 at 10:17 (105514)

if you try it let us know if it helps. there are more mysteries in the universe than we can ever anaytically understand.

carynz on 1/15/03 at 12:14 (105518)

hi necee,

I have worn a copper bracelet now on my left wrist for over 4 years. I am on the 2nd one and I wear it all the time. Most mornings I do wake up with little pain in my wrist but there are times when it does not seem to connect. They say that the copper goes through the skin to the bloodstream to help with the flow of oxygen which in turns gives you better circulation so on and so on. They don't work if they don't have to so the bracelet can be copper (not coated with anything) and then it will turn slightly greeny/black when it is working properly and if you have copper magnet ends on the bracelet they should be the only parts that need to touch the skin. Don't just buy one in a plastic wrapper on the shelf in the store, check it out at smaller boutique and reputable health related stores, you should not have to pay a ton of money for it either so you may have to try a few to see if it does the job. Some people even put the copper magnets inside their shoes I think that would be very uncomfortable but heh if it works. I say anything is worth a shot though. I suffer with osteoarthritis in my left arm/hand and the other day saw an ad for Tylenol for arthritis pain so I went to the pharmacy last night and they are 650mg tylenol tablets good for 8 hours and cost $14.89 for 24 tablets. When I started reading the labels for regular tylenol which is 500mg and good for 4 hours I decided it wasn't worth the money because there were no other ingredients in it for arthritis related pain relief it was still just tylenol just more of it. You have to really read stuff or else you end up spending tons of money and then hope something happens.

Hope your pain management is alright. I am suffering with achy j oints right now because it is so damp and cooler on the coast right now. We have had rain off and on so I am paying the price.

Cheers Caryn

john h on 1/16/03 at 11:24 (105598)

Paula: I have some powerful magnets in a pad that I have palced in my night splint. Scott discussed this at some length some time ago and as he indicated they should all be oriented in the same North/South direction and of sufficient strength. Mine came out of a wrap that was used for back pain and were all properly oriented. Bottom line is they did not help. All of the scientific studies I have read on this subject indicate no help. If you think they will help maybe the old placebo effect will kick in and they will help.

JudyS on 1/16/03 at 12:07 (105606)

In fact, Necee - you can actually get a magnetic mattress pad! I did buy the shoe inserts early in my PF experience - they didn't do a thing for me.