Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery, so far so good.

Posted by Ricky J. on 1/16/03 at 09:55 (105587)

I went to the doctor Thursday and he scheduled me for surgery Monday. The surgery seems to be helping. I have to keep weight off my foot for 30 days. It's kinda of funny, but my right foot doesn't seem to hurt as bad as it was, and it's the one that wasn't operated on. I will keep ya'll posted on how my recovery goes.

Re: Surgery, so far so good.

Sharon W on 1/16/03 at 10:01 (105588)

Keeping off your feet may help BOTH of them, if you use a wheelchair whenever possible instead of crutches. Just be aware that you need to exercise your legs and ankles SOMEHOW, or the muscles will get really weak while you recover.

Has your Dr. mentioned anything about physical therapy??

Sharon

Mitch F. on 1/16/03 at 20:07 (105648)

I went through surgery on my left foot on December 17th. The first week was pure Hell since I couldn't really move much - I had to keep my leg elevated. I treated my left foot like a baby and always kept it elevated. I also tried to stay off both feet - the room you are in starts to feel like a prison after about two weeks.

It's now been four weeks and I the Dr. said that I can finally put weight on it. Although there is still foot pain in the left, its less than what it was (although it still may be too early to judge).

I noticed the same thing you did - the right foot actually felt better! Unfortunately, now that I'm walking again, the right foot's pain is returning although not as bad yet. I personally hope that your right foot feels better permanantly.

I also used a wheelchair at work and at home - WAY better than crutches.

Sharon is right about the muscles. Once I got my cast off, my calf muscle was droopy - it's finally firming up after walking for a week.

Good luck with everything.

lauriel on 1/17/03 at 14:48 (105702)

I am glad I found this board - I was diagnosed 3 years ago with TTS. My symptons were when I put pressure o my foot, it felt like someone giving me electric shock in my ankle

I finally bit the bullit and had surgery on December 6th. I was so suprised, I had no pain whatsoever. I didnt think my foot had been operated on, didnt even need the vicodin!. The recovery is going slow though, was given the go ahead on the 6th to start walking, I am still on using one crutch most of the time since I am having that electric shock again. The Dr says this is normal since the area is still swollen. I started physical therapy on Monday and the PT said I should have come in sooner since my range of motion is really limited. But just after a few visits, my range of motion is gett better.

My Dr made it sound like I could go from crutches to walking that is not the case.

I was not put in a cast, just had it wrapped. Boy I wish I had used a wheelchair, the crutches are the biggest pain.

Sharon W on 1/17/03 at 15:04 (105705)

Lauriel,

You are lucky that your surgeon was one who believes in sending tarsal tunnel surgical patients to physical therapy at all! Some of them do not...

A good physical therapist can make a LOT of difference in how well you recover from this procedure -- you'll see.

It seems like a lot of people who have this surgery are not told very much about what to expect afterward. It seems, sometimes, as if the surgeon is not very interested in your recovery after the stitches are out and the incision is healing up. But recovery from this surgery often takes at least 2 to 6 months, and in some cases it can be as much as 2 YEARS!!

(I was lucky -- my surgeon was very honest with me, and gave me a really good idea of what to expect.)

Sharon

lauriel on 1/17/03 at 15:18 (105708)

Thanks for the info, both Dr and the PT say I will not be doing any length of walking until maybe June and healing is slow, but going from very active to this is frustrating even though I knew what I signed up for. How long did you do therapy? I just want to be able to walk my dogs again!

Laurie

Sharon W on 1/17/03 at 15:33 (105714)

Laurie,

I did PT for over 4 months. I had may surgery at the end of July, and I am STILL recovering from it, to some extent! I still do foot and ankle exercises to maintain my mobility and flexibilty FOUR TIMES A DAY and if I forget them, I can feel the stiffness beginning to set in...

And yes, it is VERY frustrating!! But hang in there. I have come to think of healing from this surgery as an ongoing battle -- and there are still times (when I'm feeling discouraged) that I think that this battle for healing will never end. But at this point I DO believe my surgery was successful (I feel about 80% better than I did before I went under the knife), I just have to keep my ankle moving for as long as it takes.

Sharon

Jaci R. on 1/19/03 at 19:10 (105973)

Reading your messages gives me idea of how I should be handling myself after my surgery on 2/3/03. TTS is a late on set of sprain that I had in 6/01. I had surgery in 7/02 for sinus tarsi syndrome and was off work for 4 weeks and for this surgery I will be off for 6 weeks. I am really lucky that I can have that time off and get paid. The pain of the tarsal tunnel syndrome is not any fun. I am 24 and hope this pain and foot problem gets better as my years go on!

Thanks,
Jaci R.

lauriel on 1/20/03 at 10:34 (106024)

You are indeed lucky to have the time off. I went back after 2 weeks, luckily I have a desk job that has kept me off my feet. It is now day 46 and I am just getting around a little bit without crutches. The main thing after surgury is elevate and ice, ice ice, I did this for a week. Was pretty much flat on my back the whole time. Luckily my husband was able to take the time off to help because getting around is impossible because you are not allowed to put any weight on your foot for a month.

Shoes have made a BIG DIFFERENCE. I have a couple of different pairs of tennis shoes and one pair brings the pain on big time, the pain is worse than before the surgery. As Sharon said many Dr's do not prescribe therapy, make sure you get it. I have only been doing it a week and notice a big difference in my movement. I would also ask the Dr After if after a few weeks there are some stretching exercises you can do before you go to therapy.

Laurie

Sharon W on 1/16/03 at 10:01 (105588)

Keeping off your feet may help BOTH of them, if you use a wheelchair whenever possible instead of crutches. Just be aware that you need to exercise your legs and ankles SOMEHOW, or the muscles will get really weak while you recover.

Has your Dr. mentioned anything about physical therapy??

Sharon

Mitch F. on 1/16/03 at 20:07 (105648)

I went through surgery on my left foot on December 17th. The first week was pure Hell since I couldn't really move much - I had to keep my leg elevated. I treated my left foot like a baby and always kept it elevated. I also tried to stay off both feet - the room you are in starts to feel like a prison after about two weeks.

It's now been four weeks and I the Dr. said that I can finally put weight on it. Although there is still foot pain in the left, its less than what it was (although it still may be too early to judge).

I noticed the same thing you did - the right foot actually felt better! Unfortunately, now that I'm walking again, the right foot's pain is returning although not as bad yet. I personally hope that your right foot feels better permanantly.

I also used a wheelchair at work and at home - WAY better than crutches.

Sharon is right about the muscles. Once I got my cast off, my calf muscle was droopy - it's finally firming up after walking for a week.

Good luck with everything.

lauriel on 1/17/03 at 14:48 (105702)

I am glad I found this board - I was diagnosed 3 years ago with TTS. My symptons were when I put pressure o my foot, it felt like someone giving me electric shock in my ankle

I finally bit the bullit and had surgery on December 6th. I was so suprised, I had no pain whatsoever. I didnt think my foot had been operated on, didnt even need the vicodin!. The recovery is going slow though, was given the go ahead on the 6th to start walking, I am still on using one crutch most of the time since I am having that electric shock again. The Dr says this is normal since the area is still swollen. I started physical therapy on Monday and the PT said I should have come in sooner since my range of motion is really limited. But just after a few visits, my range of motion is gett better.

My Dr made it sound like I could go from crutches to walking that is not the case.

I was not put in a cast, just had it wrapped. Boy I wish I had used a wheelchair, the crutches are the biggest pain.

Sharon W on 1/17/03 at 15:04 (105705)

Lauriel,

You are lucky that your surgeon was one who believes in sending tarsal tunnel surgical patients to physical therapy at all! Some of them do not...

A good physical therapist can make a LOT of difference in how well you recover from this procedure -- you'll see.

It seems like a lot of people who have this surgery are not told very much about what to expect afterward. It seems, sometimes, as if the surgeon is not very interested in your recovery after the stitches are out and the incision is healing up. But recovery from this surgery often takes at least 2 to 6 months, and in some cases it can be as much as 2 YEARS!!

(I was lucky -- my surgeon was very honest with me, and gave me a really good idea of what to expect.)

Sharon

lauriel on 1/17/03 at 15:18 (105708)

Thanks for the info, both Dr and the PT say I will not be doing any length of walking until maybe June and healing is slow, but going from very active to this is frustrating even though I knew what I signed up for. How long did you do therapy? I just want to be able to walk my dogs again!

Laurie

Sharon W on 1/17/03 at 15:33 (105714)

Laurie,

I did PT for over 4 months. I had may surgery at the end of July, and I am STILL recovering from it, to some extent! I still do foot and ankle exercises to maintain my mobility and flexibilty FOUR TIMES A DAY and if I forget them, I can feel the stiffness beginning to set in...

And yes, it is VERY frustrating!! But hang in there. I have come to think of healing from this surgery as an ongoing battle -- and there are still times (when I'm feeling discouraged) that I think that this battle for healing will never end. But at this point I DO believe my surgery was successful (I feel about 80% better than I did before I went under the knife), I just have to keep my ankle moving for as long as it takes.

Sharon

Jaci R. on 1/19/03 at 19:10 (105973)

Reading your messages gives me idea of how I should be handling myself after my surgery on 2/3/03. TTS is a late on set of sprain that I had in 6/01. I had surgery in 7/02 for sinus tarsi syndrome and was off work for 4 weeks and for this surgery I will be off for 6 weeks. I am really lucky that I can have that time off and get paid. The pain of the tarsal tunnel syndrome is not any fun. I am 24 and hope this pain and foot problem gets better as my years go on!

Thanks,
Jaci R.

lauriel on 1/20/03 at 10:34 (106024)

You are indeed lucky to have the time off. I went back after 2 weeks, luckily I have a desk job that has kept me off my feet. It is now day 46 and I am just getting around a little bit without crutches. The main thing after surgury is elevate and ice, ice ice, I did this for a week. Was pretty much flat on my back the whole time. Luckily my husband was able to take the time off to help because getting around is impossible because you are not allowed to put any weight on your foot for a month.

Shoes have made a BIG DIFFERENCE. I have a couple of different pairs of tennis shoes and one pair brings the pain on big time, the pain is worse than before the surgery. As Sharon said many Dr's do not prescribe therapy, make sure you get it. I have only been doing it a week and notice a big difference in my movement. I would also ask the Dr After if after a few weeks there are some stretching exercises you can do before you go to therapy.

Laurie